• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This analogy might help make something a little clearer

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Imagine you go to buy a new car. You pick a model that sells for $40,000. The dealer says, fine, and there will be a $30,000 surcharge for the luxury car subsidy, so you will pay $70,000.

They explain the $30,000 subsidy is used to help reduce the cost of a $20,000,000 super car to $10,000,000 for the benefit of the very rich buyer of that car, Mr. Jeff Bezos. Because, you understand, Mr. Bezos is an especially important customer, and you all need to do your part for him.

Imagine the outrage you'd feel - and if you find every dealer has that surcharge. That if you want to buy a new car, you have to overpay that much to help Bezos get a cheaper supercar.

Think about how you'd feel; and then realize that what's actually happening is worse than that, but people don't get upset. It's estimated the average salary in the US might be double if we hadn't lowered taxes on the rich and shifted that money to our national debt, now $30,000,000,000. So that instead of a one-time $30,000 surcharge to give the rich more, it's an average $50,000 per year sacrifice to give the rich more.

Think about why it is people Just Don't Care, and say to ask about the issue is 'jealous'? If you had to pay that $30,000 surcharge for a new car, and you questioned it, would you be 'jealous'?

It's something to think about how the country cares to little about this, and doesn't appreciate the harm it does beyond the direct financial harm, such as taking over our government, paying for huge manipulation of voters to get people elected who will serve the big donors. All the policies corrupted by that to the point people don't trust democracy and will support a lying clown who promises to 'drain the swamp'.

Imagine you go to buy a new car. You pick a model that sells for $40,000. The dealer says, fine, and there will be a $30,000 surcharge for the luxury car subsidy, so you will pay $70,000.

They explain the $30,000 subsidy is used to help reduce the cost of a $20,000,000 super car to $10,000,000 for the benefit of the very rich buyer of that car, Mr. Jeff Bezos. Because, you understand, Mr. Bezos is an especially important customer, and you all need to do your part for him.

Imagine the outrage you'd feel - and if you find every dealer has that surcharge. That if you want to buy a new car, you have to overpay that much to help Bezos get a cheaper supercar.

Think about how you'd feel; and then realize that what's actually happening is worse than that, but people don't get upset. It's estimated the average salary in the US might be double if we hadn't lowered taxes on the rich and shifted that money to our national debt, now $30,000,000,000. So that instead of a one-time $30,000 surcharge to give the rich more, it's an average $50,000 per year sacrifice to give the rich more.

Think about why it is people Just Don't Care, and say to ask about the issue is 'jealous'? If you had to pay that $30,000 surcharge for a new car, and you questioned it, would you be 'jealous'?

It's something to think about how the country cares to little about this, and doesn't appreciate the harm it does beyond the direct financial harm, such as taking over our government, paying for huge manipulation of voters to get people elected who will serve the big donors. All the policies corrupted by that to the point people don't trust democracy and will support a lying clown who promises to 'drain the swamp'.
More like a fairy story than an analogy.

By the way the "rich" are paying most of the taxes now.

It's always fun to listen to convoluted analogies from misinformed people trying to explain how they think the economy works. If for no other reason than it helps me understand the mindset of people like this.
Imagine you go to buy a new car. You pick a model that sells for $40,000. The dealer says, fine, and there will be a $30,000 surcharge for the luxury car subsidy, so you will pay $70,000. They explain the $30,000 subsidy is used to help reduce the cost of a $20,000,000 super car to $10,000,000 for the benefit of the very rich buyer of that car, Mr. Jeff Bezos. Because, you understand, Mr. Bezos is an especially important customer, and you all need to do your part for him.
I have no idea why a car dealership for the mass market would ever think they could get away with overcharging their customers that much. And I have no idea why a car dealership for the luxury market would sell such an expensive car to Jeff Bezos at a loss. Why wouldn't I just...not buy a car from them?
I would feel no outrage at all. I'd see a great opportunity for me (or someone else) to open a new car dealership that doesn't sell cars to Jeff Bezos, and therefore could undercut the prices of all the competitors.
Total federal spending is about $17,000 per person per year. Adding in state/local spending gets you to about $27,000. And most of that tax revenue comes from the top of the income distribution. So I'm gonna need you to show your work that the average person is sacrificing $50,000 per year to give the rich more.
Think about why it is people Just Don't Care, and say to ask about the issue is 'jealous'?
I don't think it's jealous. Just incredibly misinformed.
If you had to pay that $30,000 surcharge for a new car, and you questioned it, would you be 'jealous'?
I just wouldn't buy the car.
You clearly don't trust democracy yourself if the only explanation you can give for why Bernie Sanders doesn't win is because of nefarious voter manipulation. Perhaps the voters just aren't buying what you are selling.

Last edited:
It's estimated the average salary in the US might be double if we hadn't lowered taxes on the rich and shifted that money to our national debt, now $30,000,000,000.

It's only 6:30 in the morning and I have already read the dumbest thing I will read all day.

It's only 6:30 in the morning and I have already read the dumbest thing I will read all day.
Nah, just stick around and wait for some of your conservative buddies to post.

If they have all the money, they should pay all the taxes.
They do. A huge portion of our tederal tax revenue comes from the top 10% - far out of porportion to their percentage of income.

They do. A huge portion of our tederal tax revenue comes from the top 10% - far out of porportion to their percentage of income.
They have 70%+ of the wealth, do they pay 70%+ of the taxes? If not, they aren't paying their fair share.

https://www.taxcomplexity.org/

America ranks 50 out of 69.

A good analogy for the american tax system would be, like trying to collect water with a sieve.
You're right, but the issue I'm raising is how people have such a hard time appreciating the simple problem of the rich gaming the system to take so much of the wealth.

They have 70%+ of the wealth, do they pay 70%+ of the taxes? If not, they aren't paying their fair share.
Proportional is not enough. A billionaire and someone making $40,000 should not each pay the same percent in taxes. Now, the fact they're paying a LOWER rate is even worse, but proportional is not enough. The people making the most should pay a higher share.

Proportional is not enough. A billionaire and someone making $40,000 should not each pay the same percent in taxes. Now, the fact they're paying a LOWER rate is even worse, but proportional is not enough. The people making the most should pay a higher share.
In the 1960s the top rate was over 90%

In the 1960s the top rate was over 90%
Which is when our middle class thrived and the country had its top growth of the last century. Because we weren't stuffing the country's wealth into a few big pockets.

You're right, but the issue I'm raising is how people have such a hard time appreciating the simple problem of the rich gaming the system to take so much of the wealth.
I would say that american culture has made a hero of those who do get rich. Gaming the system is what people aspire to rather than have a hard time appreciating.

I would say that american culture has made a hero of those who do get rich. Gaming the system is what people aspire to rather than have a hard time appreciating.
Depends on the era. The infamous robber barons were not heroes. John D. Rockefeller was the most hated man in America in the early 20th century. Then we had the roaring '20s followed by the depression and WWII. IMO, our current "wealth worship" era, which I think is waning, began with Reagan in the '80s. Abby Hoffman cut his hair and the '60s hippies became 'successful' yuppies. 'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous' consumed us.

As we've seen over the past 40 years, you don't get rich watching TV. You do make those whom you worship richer, though. People are strange.

Back
Top Bottom