• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Third party?

Would you support a moderate third party?

• Yes! Thank god for a sane option.

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No! Rs are already too centrist.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! Ds are already too centrist.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

skeptic llc

Testing
Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Would you support a moderate third party? Lots of words about it repeated below.

And the idea keeps coming up when discussing either scenario: as a check on Democrats or a rejection of Trump in a second term.

Asked by Rick Newman at Yahoo Finance’s All Markets Summit this week about different scenarios for the Republican party, Fiorina gamed it out, saying that “every single one of the alternatives” is on the table.

“One of the things that I have said publicly and said to many of my colleagues is, we are not asked as citizens of this country to pledge allegiance to a party,” she said.

More: Watch the full interview with Carly Fiorina

Former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld, who challenged Donald Trump in the 2020 primaries and already voted for Biden, predicted a new party in a recent interview. “I think in January and February, frankly, whether Trump wins or loses, you're going to see an effort by moderate Republicans, joined by moderate Democrats, some practical libertarians, many environmentalists, the old Green Party, come together,” he said. “It'll be a new party.”

Another one of President Trump’s 2020 challengers, Joe Walsh, has said “the Republican Party is done. It’s breaking up before our very eyes.”

Nope

3rd party doesn't change anything

I spent decades tilting at that windmill. Started voting in the early 80's. Never once voted for a D or an R if there was an alternative choice available.

All that has changed thanks to the R's and Trump.

I've come to realize that the American people are too stuck in their ways to ever allow a third party to become viable. The D's & R's have a stranglehold on the entire political spectrum within the USofA and that's just the way it's going to be.

This election, in 2020, is all about getting Trump and his merry band of idiots out. There's one, and only one way to do that. Vote D. Hold your nose, close your eyes, do whatever you need to do, but if you want Trump out you MUST vote D. There's no other viable option.

In this coming election, a vote for any third party candidate is a vote for Trump.

It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is. You only have two VIABLE options.

I spent decades tilting at that windmill. Started voting in the early 80's. Never once voted for a D or an R if there was an alternative choice available.

All that has changed thanks to the R's and Trump.

I've come to realize that the American people are too stuck in their ways to ever allow a third party to become viable. The D's & R's have a stranglehold on the entire political spectrum within the USofA and that's just the way it's going to be.

This election, in 2020, is all about getting Trump and his merry band of idiots out. There's one, and only one way to do that. Vote D. Hold your nose, close your eyes, do whatever you need to do, but if you want Trump out you MUST vote D. There's no other viable option.

In this coming election, a vote for any third party candidate is a vote for Trump.

I think you're wrong. That's NOT the way it is. It is, because the American people do it to themselves

Last edited:
I would and have voted 3rd Party under certain conditions. 1st, both Primary candidates would have to be pretty "meh" and close to each other on their "meh" factors. Neither that I like a lot or can't stand, think will do this country great harm. 2nd, they have to match my position on the issues closer than the candidates and themselves not be a horrible person. Certain issues are pretty important to me, so those would get more weight.

When it comes to this election, and probably at least a few more consecutive ones though, I don't think the 3rd Parties will be viable options for me given the Courts and the issues at hand right now, and Trump followers. I think those Trumpers will matter for at least another election or two, which matters to me.

Would you support a moderate third party? Lots of words about it repeated below.

And the idea keeps coming up when discussing either scenario: as a check on Democrats or a rejection of Trump in a second term.

Asked by Rick Newman at Yahoo Finance’s All Markets Summit this week about different scenarios for the Republican party, Fiorina gamed it out, saying that “every single one of the alternatives” is on the table.

“One of the things that I have said publicly and said to many of my colleagues is, we are not asked as citizens of this country to pledge allegiance to a party,” she said.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld, who challenged Donald Trump in the 2020 primaries and already voted for Biden, predicted a new party in a recent interview. “I think in January and February, frankly, whether Trump wins or loses, you're going to see an effort by moderate Republicans, joined by moderate Democrats, some practical libertarians, many environmentalists, the old Green Party, come together,” he said. “It'll be a new party.”

Another one of President Trump’s 2020 challengers, Joe Walsh, has said “the Republican Party is done. It’s breaking up before our very eyes.”
Bill Weld is delusional if he thinks he can build a coalition anything remotely like what he’s describing.

the Republican Party is 97-98% pro Trump. The party is not breaking over Trump, in fact the only people whove left were always leftists anyway. Walsh nor Weld have any kind of institutional following for their party. There’s nothing in their philosophy that can attract “moderate democrats” to join a losing party led by losers. The only shift in the Rs is towards the middle and working classes away from corporate money to which is all going to Democrats, there is no constituency for this nor anyone of prominence who would join Bill freaking Weld on his vanity project

I think you're wrong. That's NOT the way it is. It is, because the American people do it to themselves

How am I wrong?

And what does this mean: "That's NOT the way it is. It is, because the American people do it to themselves"

other than exactly what I said?

How am I wrong?

And what does this mean: "That's NOT the way it is. It is, because the American people do it to themselves"

other than exactly what I said?

How am I wrong?

Republicans.... Democrats....

Democrats .... Republicans.....

That's NOT the way it is. It is, because the American people do it to themselves"

See above

Republicans.... Democrats....

Democrats .... Republicans.....

See above

Right. Two viable options.

Which is what I said.

So again, how was I wrong? Or, are you trying to say there's only one viable option? Or that none are "viable" because they all suck donkey penis?

Bill Weld is delusional if he thinks he can build a coalition anything remotely like what he’s describing.

the Republican Party is 97-98% pro Trump. The party is not breaking over Trump, in fact the only people whove left were always leftists anyway. Walsh nor Weld have any kind of institutional following for their party. There’s nothing in their philosophy that can attract “moderate democrats” to join a losing party led by losers. The only shift in the Rs is towards the middle and working classes away from corporate money to which is all going to Democrats, there is no constituency for this nor anyone of prominence who would join Bill freaking Weld on his vanity project

You never heard of Citizens United?

You never heard of Citizens United?
What does citizens United have to do with two losers fantasizing about a non existent party for a non existent base?

Right. Two viable options.

Which is what I said.

So again, how was I wrong? Or, are you trying to say there's only one viable option? Or that none are "viable" because they all suck donkey penis?

And what has this "Viable Option "that you speak of gotten us?(our country)

What does citizens United have to do with two losers fantasizing about a non existent party for a non existent base?

I was responding to this part

The only shift in the Rs is towards the middle and working classes away from corporate money

And what has this "Viable Option "that you speak of gotten us?(our country)

Look, word games are not what this is about.

There's an election. There are choices.

Only two of those choices have any chance of "winning" the election. (are you going to quibble over the word "winning" too)

A third, forth, or fifth option (any of the write-in choices) have absolutely zero chance of "winning".

That's the way it is.

The word viable means feasible. Sheesh.....

(are you happy now?)

Would you support a moderate third party?

i'd have to have more information. i feel like i already am supporting a moderate third party by voting for Biden.

Kinda tired of this argument because it is simply not true.

Vote your conscious and let the cards fall where they may. It's not like there really is a difference in the two parties. They are just vocal about different things and both want to increase the size of the government.

Vote your conscious and let the cards fall where they may. It's not like there really is a difference in the two parties. They are just vocal about different things and both want to increase the size of the government.

Be tired all you want. Doesn't change that it's the truth.

Incumbents typically have an advantage.
So a non-vote (which is pretty much what a third party vote is) typically benefits the incumbent.

I don't necessarily support a 3rd party than believe there may be one and then we shake down back to two parties. The Trump minions will not be followers of the GOP unless the party is more of Trumplicans than of Republicans. It's not like if Trump loses they all change their minds back to how the party was thinking before Trump, which is why those minions rejected the party and went for Trump. The Lincoln Reps would be that of the once more moderate GOP of the past and may siphon-off some Dems. The point is, the GOP is in a quandary. They can't survive being Trumplican, too RW, as long as the Dems stay closer to the center. Yet they lose the support of the Trumpsters if they go Lincoln Republican and don’t do their bidding. "Oh, what a world! What a world!"

I love a Moderate Party, thing is one has to start at the grassroots level to succeed, start at local levels, move on to State and then Federal levels, not an easy task and the Big 2 Parties will fight them tooth and nail.

It is true. People are either voting to allow Trump to stay in office by voting for Biden (the ONLY person with any chance at removing Trump) or voting for Trump to stay in office (either with direct votes for Trump, staying home or voting 3rd party)

If you don't care if it is Trump or Biden, that is ok. That is your choice. But right now, Biden is the only choice that doesn't end with Trump in office.

There already is a bona fide legit 3rd party, which also is the 3rd largest party after the dems and repubs: the Libertarian Party.

Last edited:

No, this sounds like the worst of all sides. How could a republican or libertarian support a party which sounds like it would support the Green New Deal?

If you had an actual moderate party, that sought some sort of consensus on things that everyone agrees on, then sure, but that wont happen.

There already is a bona dfide legit 3rd party, which also is the 3rd largest party after the dems and repubs: the Libertarian Party.

Libertarians make my head hurt.

Not trying to be combative but, they are splintered into too many factions for me.

Reactions: PoS
There already is a bona fide legit 3rd party, which also is the 3rd largest party after the dems and repubs: the Libertarian Party.

And contains elemnets of both, though also the elements both hate. Dems wont support small govt, Reps wont support social liberty.

Reactions: PoS
Libertarians make my head hurt.

Not trying to be combative but, they are splintered into too many factions for me.

I agree, the Libertarians are divided, but I think if a more concerted effort was made at unity, great things can be achieved.
And contains elemnets of both, though also the elements both hate. Dems wont support small govt, Reps wont support social liberty.
Youre always gonna get someone who hates something, that is inevitable. What needs to be done is election reform so that the top two parties cannot spend willy nilly to keep 3rd parties out of debates and coverage. The MSM I think is the biggest obstacle.

Back
Top Bottom