• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Third Party

naturebow63011

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I have this pie in the sky dream of starting a moderate 3rd party based on the following principles:

-Candidates/Party only receives campaign donations from private citizens (no special interest money and limits on individual donations).
-Party platform positions based on evidence/research.
-Candidates have record of character and competence.
-Emphasis on government accountability with reasonable citizen oversight of government agencies.

Once the virus scare subsides I was planning on making this proposal on a neighborhood website and gathering like-minded folks to make it happen; however, I wanted to throw it out there for your constructive criticism and suggestions. Do you have any?

I have this pie in the sky dream of starting a moderate 3rd party based on the following principles:

-Candidates/Party only receives campaign donations from private citizens (no special interest money and limits on individual donations).
-Emphasis on government accountability with reasonable citizen oversight of government agencies.

Once the virus scare subsides I was planning on making this proposal on a neighborhood website and gathering like-minded folks to make it happen; however, I wanted to throw it out there for your constructive criticism and suggestions. Do you have any?
You need the corporate money, not just for the money, but to the Mind, money says, "Clout and success."

My motion would be to take the money and then say, "I am not obligated to vote for you in any way."

In fact, I would put this in the Constitution.

Just like, "Only a drug can cure a disease." So, "No promise can be made for any gift or donation."

With the above measure, there is less incentive for special interests.

No, I don''t think your sackcloth and ashes approach is going to work, not enough sackcloth, not enough ashes.

Where are the incorruptible people who are going to see to all this?

Welcome to DP naturebow63011 and congratulations on your first post.

Good luck to you here at DP, whatever that means to you, unless you're with the Reprobates.

You need the corporate money, not just for the money, but to the Mind, money says, "Clout and success."

My motion would be to take the money and then say, "I am not obligated to vote for you in any way."

In fact, I would put this in the Constitution.

Just like, "Only a drug can cure a disease." So, "No promise can be made for any gift or donation."

With the above measure, there is less incentive for special interests.

No, I don''t think your sackcloth and ashes approach is going to work, not enough sackcloth, not enough ashes.

Where are the incorruptible people who are going to see to all this?
Yea, it's rather idealistic and perhaps naive; however, it's the kind of party I would want and perhaps others would want the same.

You are 100% correct that it is a pie in the sky idea. Nice fantasy. I have basically the same fantasy. But then I realize I live in the real world. Fact is you can’t get anywhere without money or party backing. Bernie and others have already tried and it doesn’t work. Hell, even Bernie ran as a Democrat because even he realized he couldn’t get anywhere without the money of the Democratic party. You do realize that there is evidence and research on both sides of every issue such as Climate Change, don’t you?

Yea, it's rather idealistic and perhaps naive; however, it's the kind of party I would want and perhaps others would want the same.
So what is your clout to start a Party?

I would help you, but we would just be doing it to disband.

If you want to use your Party to disband all Parties, then I'll help.

You are 100% correct that it is a pie in the sky idea. Nice fantasy. I have basically the same fantasy. But then I realize I live in the real world. Fact is you can’t get anywhere without money or party backing. Bernie and others have already tried and it doesn’t work. Hell, even Bernie ran as a Democrat because even he realized he couldn’t get anywhere without the money of the Democratic party. You do realize that there is evidence and research on both sides of every issue such as Climate Change, don’t you?
What do you mean Bernie didn't get anywhere?

Bernie almost had the Nomination twice.

Where he wouldn't have gotten anywhere is the first time he blooped (got out of bed) after the election and faced his Republican Congress.

That is why Bernie didn't win.

He didn't explain, what he's going to do if he can't do anything.

He lost because he was really another scam to have Bernie as President.

He ran around hollering about what should be while it is just as true that what should be is everyone working and paying their way.

He didn't have a way to get there and neither did Trump after he cut taxes.

Last edited:
All you'd have to do is go viral.

Once you're in the spotlight you have to dance also if you can dance.

Besides dancing you need an astrological score.

Bernie had one; seven like Biden over Trump's five while Mrs. Clinton was negative two.

Bernie gave it a good try and so did Trump, but really they missed what they needed to have a handle on.

Virtually every election this fall will be won by a Democrat or a Republican. Third parties currently consist of an insignificantly tiny minority in US politics.

So I really couldn't care less about the viability of those parties, when I know that it is essentially zero.

Try this conversation again in 2021.

How about No Parties? Why do we have over 400 elected officials if they just divide up into two factions and cast basically two votes on most issues? The legislature might just work for the citizens if the party politicians didn't make themselves top priority. Ban any and all parties to see actual reform.

How about No Parties? Why do we have over 400 elected officials if they just divide up into two factions and cast basically two votes on most issues? The legislature might just work for the citizens if the party politicians didn't make themselves top priority. Ban any and all parties to see actual reform.
I'm with you The Old Soul.

The page needs revision, but it will get there.

President Washington urged them not to form Parties, but Adams started and Jefferson had to keep up or maybe he wasn't clean either. Jefferson's Party defeated Adam's and split into the two we have today.

Back
Top Bottom