• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Third Party Candidates

Which third party candidate are you most interested in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brochacholomigo

we live in a society
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
It's a simple question for the people who can't stand either of the candidates our two-party system has blessed us with. Generally, the Green party and the Libertarian party are considered to be the big guys of third parties, so their candidates are the ones I'm including in this poll by name, but if there's a third party candidate you've got your eye on, I would appreciate it if you said why. As such, I've included an "other - here's why" option.

Ah, Green Party, eh? Well I'm #FeelingTheJohnson myself!

Well, I'd vote for either of the two, because honestly I find both Jill and Johnson more appealing than Hillary or Trump.

But I just personally agree more with Jill Stein on more positions than I do Gary Johnson.

Well, I'd vote for either of the two, because honestly I find both Jill and Johnson more appealing than Hillary or Trump. But I just personally agree more with Jill Stein on more positions than I do Gary Johnson.

That's like saying you like cake and ice cream better than you like syphilitic goat sperm or syphilitic goat sperm with food coloring mixed into it.

That's like saying you like cake and ice cream better than you like syphilitic goat sperm or syphilitic goat sperm with food coloring mixed into it.

I know, it's a shame that I don't want to choose between the **** sandwich or the puke milkshake.

I'd much rather choose between two cakes with some delicious frosting on top. ^-^

Well, I'd vote for either of the two, because honestly I find both Jill and Johnson more appealing than Hillary or Trump.

But I just personally agree more with Jill Stein on more positions than I do Gary Johnson.

I prefer governors as candidates because they have a record to show what they are likely to do when elected. Other than environmentalism, does Ms. Stein have a record.

People, like Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama tell us what they'll do and then they giggle and do the opposite.

I'd like to play...I really would. But talking about third party candidates in a critical election like this is like asking who would you like to waste your vote on.

I've learned over time that voting for a third party during a Presidential election in our current two-party system is merely a vote to show dissent. The only impact it has it to give the front-runner of whichever Major Party a more commanding lead over their weaker opponent.

I usually do that when it isn't important which Major Party wins the election. I can't do that this time because whoever wins will be able to appoint at least one, and likely up to three SCOTUS Justices during their term of office. So I can't pretend my "dissent vote" would have any real merit when I need to commit to a viable candidate with an actual chance of winning and who will likely nominate Justices who will protect my Liberty interests.

So go ahead, pretend that talking up a Third Party candidate will make any real difference in whether they get elected or not. Until either Major Party collapses and the shell is used to form a new viable political organization during a future election...you are just wasting your vote. I learned that lesson with Ralph Nader and Ross Perot.

Last edited:
Ah, Green Party, eh? Well I'm #FeelingTheJohnson myself!

Heheh...not sure that hashtag will catch on.

But I too will be voting for Gary Johnson.

I'd like to play...I really would. But talking about third party candidates in a critical election like this is like asking who would you like to waste your vote on.

I've learned over time that voting for a third party during a Presidential election in our current two-party system is merely a vote to show dissent. The only impact it has it to give the front-runner of whichever major Party a more commanding lead over their weaker opponent.

I usually do that when it isn't important which major Party wins the election. I can't do that this time because whoever wins will be able to appoint at least one, and likely up to three SCOTUS Justices during their term of office. So I can't pretend my "dissent vote" would have any real merit when I need to commit to a viable candidate with an actual chance of winning and will likely nominate Justices who will protect my Liberty interests.

I refuse to vote for a candidate who doesn't represent my interests just because another candidate represents them even less. Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil, and in my opinion, is a far greater waste of a vote than even abstaining from voting.

You're free to continue voting for terrible candidates because the electoral college gives the two major parties a monopoly - I cast my vote for dissent.

I've learned over time that voting for a third party during a Presidential election in our current two-party system is merely a vote to show dissent. The only impact it has it to give the front-runner of whichever Major Party a more commanding lead over their weaker opponent.

I usually do that when it isn't important which Major Party wins the election. I can't do that this time because whoever wins will be able to appoint at least one, and likely up to three SCOTUS Justices during their term of office. So I can't pretend my "dissent vote" would have any real merit when I need to commit to a viable candidate with an actual chance of winning and who will likely nominate Justices who will protect my Liberty interests.

So go ahead, pretend that talking up a Third Party candidate will make any real difference in whether they get elected or not. Until either Major Party collapses and the shell is used to form a new viable political organization during a future election...you are just wasting your vote. I learned that lesson with Ralph Nader and Ross Perot.

Republican, Democrat, Republican, Democrat,Republican, Democrat keep movin

scr-SheepChute.jpg

That's right. And your vote for either weevil will make you a party to their depredations. They both have one guiding principle and that would be, "If the money's there, I do not care."

I'll waste my vote rather than go with the lesser of two weevils, two liberals. My dream is that one weevil gets 34% of the vote and the other weevil gets 35%. I'm left with putting my hope in the states. If there is a fight it will be the states versus Washington DC.

That's right. And your vote for either weevil will make you a party to their depredations. They both have one guiding principle and that would be, "If the money's there, I do not care."

I'll waste my vote rather than go with the lesser of two weevils, two liberals. My dream is that one weevil gets 34% of the vote and the other weevil gets 35%. I'm left with putting my hope in the states. If there is a fight it will be the states versus Washington DC.

Really? Like voting for a third party candidate who has no chance to win won't make YOU a "party to depredations" of the winning candidate? Like whatever whoever is elected ends up doing won't affect you because you voted third party? :roll:

I often vote third party, mostly Libertarian, in typical elections where the President isn't going to be able to affect me any more than normally. I can't do that when it means the difference between which candidate gets to appoint a life-long member of the Supreme Court; one I know who will appoint someone anathema to my liberty interests or one who may try to protect my interests.

Last edited:
Republican, Democrat, Republican, Democrat,Republican, Democrat keep movin

View attachment 67203547

Zzzzzzzz...OH, sorry were you trying to make a point?

I saw sheep and began counting them and fell asleep looking for how this applies to me. :shrug:

I am neither a Dem. nor a Rep., but I am concerned about my 2A rights...and Hillary Clinton will appoint someone who will screw with them for the next 20+ years! Voting third party like I often do in other elections is a foolish effort if I want to try to prevent her from succeeding. Trump may be a fool, and he may not keep his word, but better a possible shot with him than a definite surefire failure with a Hillary Clinton Presidency.

I refuse to vote for a candidate who doesn't represent my interests just because another candidate represents them even less. Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil, and in my opinion, is a far greater waste of a vote than even abstaining from voting.

You're free to continue voting for terrible candidates because the electoral college gives the two major parties a monopoly - I cast my vote for dissent.

Sometimes the only choice is choice.

Really? Like voting for a third party candidate who has no chance to win won't make YOU a "party to depredations" of the winning candidate? Like whatever whoever is elected ends up doing won't affect you because you voted third party? :roll:

I often vote third party, mostly Libertarian, in typical elections where the President isn't going to be able to affect me any more than normally. I can't do that when it means the difference between which candidate gets to appoint a life-long member of the Supreme Court; one I know who will appoint someone anathema to my liberty interests or one who may try to protect my interests.

You got it, Captain Adverse. Sucking up to either weevil makes you a party to their crimes. I always wonder about an adult who believes someone like Sen. Clinton or Mr. Trump. They have both made a career of lying and Dishonest Donald his proud of his ability to lie.

You got it, Captain Adverse. Sucking up to either weevil makes you a party to their crimes. I always wonder about an adult who believes someone like Sen. Clinton or Mr. Trump. They have both made a career of lying and Dishonest Donald his proud of his ability to lie.

I'm sorry. Do you have any doubt that Clinton will appoint Justices to SCOTUS who oppose the 2A? Do you fail to understand the long term impact such Justices could have on all those other individual rights that prevent government from treating us like chattels?

No arms means no ability to stand up to such "crimes" when they become too oppressive to accept. That's where that photo of sheep posted above truly applies. :coffeepap:

If I thought a 3rd Party candidate who supported my liberty interests had any real chance of winning this election? I'd be happy to vote for them. Don't see that happening so why waste the vote.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. Do you believe anything Donald Trump says? I believe he is quite capable of appointing Bernie Madoff to the Supreme Court if there a buck in it. He wants to expand the use of iminent domain so that would not bode well for a conservative appointment. He wants to expand the laws of libel to suppress free speech. That doesn't bode well for a conservative appointment. He wants to keep firearms out of the hands of the mentally ill and "enemies of the state". Don't you love those liberal catch phrases? That doesn't bode well for conservative appointments. And, like Obama, he wants to rule without Congress. That also does not bode well for a conservative appointment. And did I mention he's been a liberal Democrat his whole life, except for a few months when he benefited personally from saying he belonged to the Reform Party or the Republican Party.

But, you get to vote for whoever you want. So do I. And, I will not help either Sen. Clinton nor Donald Trump destroy the country. You can pick the lesser of two weevils if you want.

I voted other because I believe in God and I have faith that God would not present us with candidates such as Clinton, Trump, Johnson, or Stein, although I really need to say a lot more prayers because so far they have not been answered. But, I have to have the faith.

I voted other because I believe in God and I have faith that God would not present us with candidates such as Clinton, Trump, Johnson, or Stein, although I really need to say a lot more prayers because so far they have not been answered. But, I have to have the faith.

...So what third party candidate(s) ARE you interested in? If I'm not mistaken, the American Conservative Party usually has someone run in the presidential election, and they seem like they might be your type.

I'm voting for Gary.

...So what third party candidate(s) ARE you interested in? If I'm not mistaken, the American Conservative Party usually has someone run in the presidential election, and they seem like they might be your type.

I said I'm still praying for a real candidate, not someone who literally has no chance. And, it doesn't necessarily have to be a third party. Maybe Trump will be overthrown at the convention. Maybe Romney will either be the nominee or run as a third party. If it is going to be a third party it is going to have to be a very well known name who could actually win states, not just get a 20% protest vote and elect Hillary. We don't need any David Frenchs.

I said I'm still praying for a real candidate, not someone who literally has no chance. And, it doesn't necessarily have to be a third party. Maybe Trump will be overthrown at the convention. Maybe Romney will either be the nominee or run as a third party. If it is going to be a third party it is going to have to be a very well known name who could actually win states, not just get a 20% protest vote and elect Hillary. We don't need any David Frenchs.

Romney has already lost two presidential elections, so I don't think he should be the candidate they stick in there. I was actually a fan of Paul and Kasich this cycle - Paul because he matched my views, Kasich because he was the only ****ing adult left on the Republican stage.

However, I'm expecting that if they do have a brokered convention, they're going to pick Rubio or Cruz, with a lean toward Rubio.

Sadly this wouldn't do anything except to splinter the GOP even further.

There are slightly more Registered Dems than Republicans, and the two parties split most of the Independent vote which tips either way depending on who the candidate is.

Republicans are more dedicated voters, which can offset the Democratic number advantage. Whenever the GOP splits, like this campaign? Democrats win.

Back
Top Bottom