• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Third parties are polling far stronger than usual

Latest CNN polls (1) have Clinton at 42%, Trump at 38%, Johnson at 9% (a noticeable decrease from 12%) and Stein at 7%​

https://amthirdpartyreport.com/2016/06/22/stein-added-to-national-polls-johnson-slips/

Third party's polling at this level ever much less this early is prerty astounding.

Considering who's at the top of the 2 major party tickets, I think it's not only astounding, it actually gives me hope. Maybe this election is the last straw or the evidence we need to shake things up a bit.

Considering who's at the top of the 2 major party tickets, I think it's not only astounding, it actually gives me hope. Maybe this election is the last straw or the evidence we need to shake things up a bit.

Third parties to me are nothing but spoilers.

Latest CNN polls (1) have Clinton at 42%, Trump at 38%, Johnson at 9% (a noticeable decrease from 12%) and Stein at 7%​

https://amthirdpartyreport.com/2016/06/22/stein-added-to-national-polls-johnson-slips/

Third party's polling at this level ever much less this early is prerty astounding.

Are Stein and Johnson incompatible? Could they end up on the same ticket or backing the same 3rd party candidate? If they could, and Bernie hopped aboard, topped the ticket even, they could win.

Are Stein and Johnson incompatible? Could they end up on the same ticket or backing the same 3rd party candidate? If they could, and Bernie hopped aboard, topped the ticket even, they could win.

Johnson has already named Bill Weld as his VP pick.

Very VERY incompatible. Socially, they are on the same page a lot but fiscally, they couldn't be more opposites. There's a lot they would agree on for sure though.

I hope this election gives a boost to the movement of moving beyond the two party system.

It's not going to. The structure is significantly stacked against political competition. The Republocrats have seen to that.

becuase no one really wants Hillary or Trump. Regardless, they won't be allowed to participate in debates and such.

We will see. Right now Johnson is at 9% and Stein is at 7%. This is without campaigning. All they need is to reach 15% which is the debate threshold.

We will see. Right now Johnson is at 9% and Stein is at 7%. This is without campaigning. All they need is to reach 15% which is the debate threshold.

And that's really hard to do without exposure. But you can't really get the exposure necessary unless you're allowed to participate in things such as the debates.

It's all very Catch-22.

Being on CNN last night should jump Johnson all the way up to 9.1%.

It's not going to. The structure is significantly stacked against political competition. The Republocrats have seen to that.

The two party system has seen to that, like you already said third party candidates would not even be allowed to participate in debates and such.

I remember when Ron Paul was running the news would announce who won second and third and not even mention Paul got first.

The two party system has seen to that, like you already said third party candidates would not even be allowed to participate in debates and such.

I remember when Ron Paul was running the news would announce who won second and third and not even mention Paul got first.

Exactly, and that's where the problem lies. The seemingly complete control the Republocrat Party has on the entire system. That 15% rule was added after Perot threw a wrench into the Presidential election, specifically set at such a level as to bar third party participation.

This is what single party rule looks like.

Being on CNN last night should jump Johnson all the way up to 9.1%.

I'm just giddy that the Green Party has finally eclipsed a whole single percent... much less 7%. If we can just get the libertarian and green parties past 10% in the general election, that is usually the threshold for ballot access in many states that they won't have to worry about in the next couple of elections.

Exactly, and that's where the problem lies. The seemingly complete control the Republocrat Party has on the entire system. That 15% rule was added after Perot threw a wrench into the Presidential election, specifically set at such a level as to bar third party participation.

This is what single party rule looks like.

True. although it was a bit more than just that. The debates used to be put on by the League of Women Voters organization and as punishment to them for allowing Perot into the debates, the two parties formed "the Commission on Presidential Debates" which is a corporation inandof itself that are making these restrictive rules. So the main two parties control the debates. Lo and Behold, they've decided that they only want themselves in the debates.

Yeah, that was nice. Typically you have to do C-SPAN, which no one watches.

Regardless, I fear that without proper political competition in the system, we're going to stagnate.

It's a process. Not a one step victory. Think long-term for the gains made. This will be huge just for ballot access alone in future elections.

Back
Top Bottom