• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Third parties and the electoral college

Will a non-Dem, non-GOP nominee earn any electoral votes this November?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
A lot of would-be American voters claim to strongly dislike their presumed choice for the next POTUS, Hillary vs. Trump. Some are even threatening to vote third-party. But we've been down this road before. Ross Perot made quite a showing in 1992 and less of one in 1996, but in neither case did he earn any electoral votes. The last time that a candidate other than a Republican or Democrat earned a single electoral vote ("earned" is the key word here) was George Wallace in 1968. That was nearly 50 years ago.

Will it finally happen again in 2016? Will a candidate other than the Democratic or Republican nominee earn any electoral votes this November? Or will all 538 EV's be split between just the Republican and Democrat again?

A lot of would-be American voters claim to strongly dislike their presumed choice for the next POTUS, Hillary vs. Trump. Some are even threatening to vote third-party. But we've been down this road before. Ross Perot made quite a showing in 1992 and less of one in 1996, but in neither case did he earn any electoral votes. The last time that a candidate other than a Republican or Democrat earned a single electoral vote ("earned" is the key word here) was George Wallace in 1968. That was nearly 50 years ago.

Will it finally happen again in 2016? Will a candidate other than the Democratic or Republican nominee earn any electoral votes this November? Or will all 538 EV's be split between just the Republican and Democrat again?

The only electorally successful third party was the bull moose party in 1912's presidential election. And that was only the case due to teddy Roosevelt getting the progressive republicans to support him.

Can't see how, none of them are worth a damn.

BTW, the list of third party candidates is long and hilarious. I'd like to see a debate with the top ten, would be amazing.

There's a Transhumanist Party candidate for god's sake.

Last edited:

No. They *may* get more popular votes than normal, and even then probably not much more, but I seriously doubt they'll get enough in one state to get an electoral vote.

I'd like to see it happen, but I don't think it will.

I think its possible a 3rd party candidate will get an electoral vote. Both the democrat and republican nominees are extremely disliked. Both candidates are lying sacks of **** who are corrupt and flip floppers.Heck the GOP nominee donated a 100,000 plus dollars to Clinton and her foundation while the democrat nominee attended the wedding of the republican nominee. In a sane world those should not be the opposing parties nominees.

I voted no but reserve the right to change my vote. As it stands right now I don't see any third party candidate who could get an electoral vote. Gary Johnson has a snowball's chance in hell. No one else even gets that close. But, the landscape could change. Who knows what the future holds? Trump might suffer a coup at the convention and run as a third party himself and get some electoral votes. A real Republican candidate (let's just say Romney) might wind up running as a third party candidate and actually get some electoral votes. Trump may look really bad if his civil trial goes sour, causing a third party candidate to get some electoral votes and Hillary may actually be indicted, causing a third party candidate to get some electoral votes.

I'm hoping that the winner in the coming election wins with a plurality of 35% of the popular vote. I'm sure the Trumpkins would see that as a mandate but I think it might move us to the path of a "none of the above."

Back
Top Bottom