• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Think Progress Editor Pissed Off About Woman Defending Herself With A Gun

One for the gun lovers...
Today is January 15th - so far we've had SEVEN mass shootings this year:
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

Ban guns now so people like that kid trying to rob that woman won't be able to get a gun or the ammunition for it.

It's quite sickening how low the gun loving lobby will go to justify their precious guns.

And suppose the US did attempt to ban all guns, who do you think would turn them in? Most likely it would be the woman with the concealed carry permit, and least likely would be the 19 year old mugger with a handgun. And as 80 percent of all firearms used and traded by criminals are illegally obtained, with 30 percent untraceable ghost guns, what makes you think this youth would be unarmed because you banned of lawful gun ownership?

Moreover, in what dream world do you think that illegal ammo, like illegal guns, could not be obtained from the same black market?

Whatever your opinion, there is no excuse for spider-holing into the willfully obtuse. What you are actually proposing is to "Ban guns now so that the 19yr old criminal with a gun will be able to rob that woman whose gun was confiscated".

You know it, I know it, and the thread reader knows it.

Last edited:
And suppose the US did attempt to ban all guns, who do you think would turn them in? Most likely it would be the woman with the concealed carry permit, and least likely would be the 19 year old mugger with a handgun. And as 80 percent of all firearms used and traded by criminals are illegally obtained, with 30 percent untraceable ghost guns, what makes you think this youth would be unarmed because you banned of lawful gun ownership?

Moreover, in what dream world do you think that illegal ammo, like illegal guns, could not be obtained from the same black market?

Whatever your opinion, there is no excuse for spider-holing into the willfully obtuse. What you are actually proposing is to "Ban guns now so that the 19yr old criminal with a gun will be able to rob that woman whose gun was confiscated".

You know it, I know it, and the thread reader knows it.

the gun ban movement is to criminals as OSHA is to factory workers

Yeah right.

Straight out of the "arm everyone who goes to church"

The problem with US gun crime is that not enough of the victims get to shoot back !!!

I am armed when I go to Mass.

Just reading over this thread has made me realize how truly warped and deranged some on the far left have become.

They are actually arguing that if somebody points a gun at your head and demands whatever of your possessions that somebody wants, your possessions should be meekly handed over with trust that the robber has no intention of using that gun. Never mind that pointing a gun at somebody without justification is classified as assault with a deadly weapon. Never mind that there is no way to determine the intentions of the robber--will he not want any witnesses to the robbery? Does he get his jollies terrorizing and then murdering people? Will he get excited and accidentally pull the trigger?

How many police officers are supposed to meekly submit to somebody who points a gun at them? Why should the average citizen be expected to do that?

This country is losing its collective mind when it comes to common sense on these things

Just reading over this thread has made me realize how truly warped and deranged some on the far left have become.

They are actually arguing that if somebody points a gun at your head and demands whatever of your possessions that somebody wants, your possessions should be meekly handed over with trust that the robber has no intention of using that gun. Never mind that pointing a gun at somebody without justification is classified as assault with a deadly weapon. Never mind that there is no way to determine the intentions of the robber--will he not want any witnesses to the robbery? Does he get his jollies terrorizing and then murdering people? Will he get excited and accidentally pull the trigger?

How many police officers are supposed to meekly submit to somebody who points a gun at them? Why should the average citizen be expected to do that?

This country is losing its collective mind when it comes to common sense on these things

On most things actually....Yes, we are in a ****Ton of trouble.

It is a real good thing that I dont have all that many years left, I never desired to life in Hell.

Round and round it goes.

Advice: (1) SCOTUS properly identified the right as an individual right, (2) the only things that might possibly make a dent in the illegal market - after decades - would be the sort of gun registry people are abhorred at. Cut off straw buyers and you knock out a huge section of the black market.

But let's be straight here. We're so far gone that nothing we do allowable under the 2nd will make a difference, except perhaps what I just said, which itself would take so long to kick in because of how long non-discarded guns last.

Pragmatism, people.

Round and round it goes.

Advice: (1) SCOTUS properly identified the right as an individual right, (2) the only things that might possibly make a dent in the illegal market - after decades - would be the sort of gun registry people are abhorred at. Cut off straw buyers and you knock out a huge section of the black market.

But let's be straight here. We're so far gone that nothing we do allowable under the 2nd will make a difference, except perhaps what I just said, which itself would take so long to kick in because of how long non-discarded guns last.

Pragmatism, people.

how about hammering those who engage in straw purchases? don't need a registry to do that

Ban guns now so people like that kid trying to rob that woman won't be able to get a gun or the ammunition for it.
Banning guns wouldn't stop that.

It's quite sickening how low the gun loving lobby will go to justify their precious guns.
Dealey justification needed is that if I have a gun I can use it to defend myself. Good grief you have to justify me not being able to use a firearm to defend myself. and some murderer killing somebody with a gun is not justification.

Round and round it goes.

Pragmatism, people.

Straw purchases already have a de facto registration. It's not a deterrent.

hotair.com lives up to its name, its complete bull****. Think progress editor was not pissed she defended himself, he was pissed with the gleefulness of conservatives that she killed someone

What a joke right wingers are that they whine about biased media, which consists of the most respected networks and papers, yet they will post something from places like hotair.com and brietbart.

hotair.com lives up to its name, its complete bull****. Think progress editor was not pissed she defended himself, he was pissed with the gleefulness of conservatives that she killed someone

What a joke right wingers are that they whine about biased media, which consists of the most respected networks and papers, yet they will post something from places like hotair.com and brietbart.

I view the reports based on what they say, not who or what says them. and most of the main stream media purveys lies and nonsense when it comes to guns

Round and round it goes.

Pragmatism, people.

The black market is operated by people who are already participating in other criminal activity, or are at least connected to people who are.

How about law enforcement crack down on actual criminals, courts actually punish actual criminals...and leave law abiding citizens alone? That sounds like the most pragmatic solution.

Another Liberal who can't read.

Well, I'll say it: That piece of **** armed mugger deserved to die.

Exactly, you make your bed you lay in it.

Or to put it in the case of this mugger, you dig your grave you lay in it.

Is the HE a poster here or the editor? Either way My Opinion is the only reason someone would say something that stupid, should of let yourself get robbed, is because this story doesn't fit into the ALL GUNS ARE BAD narrative. It sad that some people would rather others be victims of crime than legally use a gun to protect themselves from crime to advance their anti rights agenda.
I guess I could have been clearer. Both,but I did have our little friend Rich2018 foremost in mind.

Oh, you're one of those idiots that believes criminals follow the law. Why don't we pass a law that says you can't rob people? That should work. How about posting signs that say "Gun Free Zone"? Surely those that would carry a gun to one of those locations will turn around and walk away when they see the sign.

Oh, you're one of those idiots that believes criminals follow the law....

You're one of THOSE idiots who can't reason.

If you ban guns and destroy all guns that are seized, you will slowly remove almost all guns from society.

Yes, there will always be guns, yes you will never eliminate gun crime.

But by god we can sure as hell make a dent in to out-of-control gun crime statistics if we got rid of guns.

You're just parroting gun lovers excuse # 3

There are too many guns to ban them.

WRONG !!!

No they don't.

Not private citizens.
I don't think you're qualified to tell me why people own guns.

And yes you can give single anecdotes...I can trump every one by Google-ing "mass shootings USA, 2018"
So hundreds of millions if people who own guns shouldn't have them because you can find an anecdote where someone kills a bunch of people?

That does not follow

Ancedotes do not in any way justify removing people's constitutional rights. Like it or not, people have a right to defend themselves with weapons. That is what the 2nd Amendment entails, and that is how it should stay. You should be praising the woman for using her weapon the way it should be: for self-defense.

Back
Top Bottom