• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Think Capitol rioters were "ordinary people"?

Gateman_Wen

Official disruptive influence
Banned
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

New research connects many to far-right groups​

Last Thursday, Michael Jensen, a senior researcher at the University of Maryland's National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START center), released preliminary findings on the ideological motivations and connections of about 30 percent of all Jan. 6 defendants. While his research is ongoing, Jensen has already found that at least 244 of the 816 people arrested to date were either members of "extremist" organizations or self-identified with them. In his widely-shared map of the network (embedded below), Jensen documented at least 700 relationships between the defendants and both well-known far-right groups as well as more diffuse movements, including white nationalists, anti-vaccination activists, militias, militant anti-abortion groups, QAnon adherents and more.

Hmm… 30% of a group can certainly be called many, yet can’t be called most. That was used to justify the claim that the BLM protests were “mostly peaceful” despite considerable damage from a minority among them engaged in rioting, looting and arson.

Hmm… 30% of a group can certainly be called many, yet can’t be called most. That was used to justify the claim that the BLM protests were “mostly peaceful” despite considerable damage from a minority among them engaged in rioting, looting and arson.
No, people always made that claim based on this;
The vast majority of demonstration events associated with the BLM movement are non-violent (see map below). In more than 93% of all demonstrations connected to the movement, demonstrators have not engaged in violence or destructive activity. Peaceful protests are reported in over 2,400 distinct locations around the country. Violent demonstrations,5 meanwhile, have been limited to fewer than 220 locations — under 10% of the areas that experienced peaceful protests. In many urban areas like Portland, Oregon, for example, which has seen sustained unrest since Floyd’s killing, violent demonstrations are largely confined to specific blocks, rather than dispersed throughout the city

We don't give Donald Trump enough credit for identifying which groups would fight the hardest for him and lighting their fire.

It's very mob bossish.

"Mostly peaceful" meant the vast majority of protests were not violent. This certainly is true about 2020. Republicans only care about totally ignoring the peaceful protests in order to feed their bias against Democrats.

So...Mr. Jensen thinks American Frontline Doctors is an extremist group.

About Us​
Who we are​
Honest Healthcare Solutions — From the Ground Up​
The doctor-patient relationship is being threatened. That means quality patient care is under fire like never before. Powerful interests are undermining the effective practice of medicine with politicized science and biased information. Now more than ever, patients need access to independent, evidence-based information to make the best decisions for their healthcare. Doctors must have the independence to care for their patients without interference from the government, media, and the medical establishment.​
America’s Frontline Doctors (AFLDS) stands up for every American looking for the best quality healthcare by empowering doctors working on the front lines of our nation’s most pressing healthcare challenges. We help to amplify the voices of concerned physicians and patients nationwide to combat those who push political and economic agendas at the expense of science and quality healthcare solutions.​

I don't know...doesn't sound very "extremist" to me. Maybe Mr. Jensen has different standards based on his personal bias?

I didn't look at all of the so-called extremist groups he came up with, but if this one is a representative example, then I'll just relegate his opinion to the low credibility file.

1650373074802.png

For Republicans, far-right groups are normal people. The FBI and DHS studied white supremacy and discovered all connections to it are on the extreme right side.

I am amazed that it took a study (or two?) to discover that white supremacists are also extremely far right. ;)

I am amazed that it took a study (or two?) to discover that white supremacists are also extremely far right.

It did not take any studies to figure that out. The FBI and DHS were just confirming common knowledge.

The people who showed up at the US Capital building on 1/6 and subsequently invaded it were not some strange sort of beasts. Rather, they were members of the species h. sapiens, even as you and I. It's important to remember that there is a large number of characteristics which we all share and a wide spectrum within each characteristic. No two of us are identical.

It is when we disregard this that we fall into the fallacy of thinking in terms of 'us' and 'them', the wellspring of much mischief and many deaths. Once 'them' have been sufficiently vilified, tragedies obtain. The examples are all about us.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.

"Mostly peaceful" meant the vast majority of protests were not violent. This certainly is true about 2020. Republicans only care about totally ignoring the peaceful protests in order to feed their bias against Democrats.

Yep, and since most dogs don’t bite people, dog bites are not a problem. ;)

It did not take any studies to figure that out. The FBI and DHS were just confirming common knowledge.

It was your claim that “the FBI and DHS studied white supremacy and discovered…” not mine.

Think Capitol rioters were "ordinary people"?​

no of course not
Nobody tat attacks the police defending our nations capitol and then attacks the capital because they were stupid enough to be convinced the election was stolen is an "ordinary person"

Some how some way they are mentally or sociologically broken, Im sure its varies per individual but I bet each one has something, little or big, that can be diagnosed by a professional as a reason why such insanity took hold.

The people who showed up at the US Capital building on 1/6 and subsequently invaded it were not some strange sort of beasts. Rather, they were members of the species h. sapiens, even as you and I. It's important to remember that there is a large number of characteristics which we all share and a wide spectrum within each characteristic. No two of us are identical.

It is when we disregard this that we fall into the fallacy of thinking in terms of 'us' and 'them', the wellspring of much mischief and many deaths. Once 'them' have been sufficiently vilified, tragedies obtain. The examples are all about us.

Adolf Hitler and all Nazis were members of Homo s. sapiens.
Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump are members of Homo s. sapiens.
Serial killers and mass murderers of born humans are members of Homo s. sapiens.

As far as I'm concerned, the 1/6 insurrectionists did indeed cross a line between them and "us."

About Us​
Who we are​
The doctor-patient relationship is being threatened. That means quality patient care is under fire like never before. Powerful interests are undermining the effective practice of medicine with politicized science and biased information. Now more than ever, patients need access to independent, evidence-based information to make the best decisions for their healthcare. Doctors must have the independence to care for their patients without interference from the government, media, and the medical establishment.​
America’s Frontline Doctors (AFLDS) stands up for every American looking for the best quality healthcare by empowering doctors working on the front lines of our nation’s most pressing healthcare challenges. We help to amplify the voices of concerned physicians and patients nationwide to combat those who push political and economic agendas at the expense of science and quality healthcare solutions.​

I don't know...doesn't sound very "extremist" to me. Maybe Mr. Jensen has different standards based on his personal bias?

I didn't look at all of the so-called extremist groups he came up with, but if this one is a representative example, then I'll just relegate his opinion to the low credibility file.
Jensen and @Gateman_Wen is correct.
593C8149-3451-4F18-969D-A5B6D9D8EFA5.jpeg
AAFFE5B5-4BED-46A2-90E7-6670DA64B147.jpeg
24F5C0EA-0919-4EBD-97B0-E2FF80D6AA38.jpeg

About Us​
Who we are​

View attachment 67386343

He "thinks" they are extremist because they are, as the smart people know.

From Wiki:

America's Frontline Doctors (AFLDS) is an American right-wing political organization.[1][2][3] Affiliated with Tea Party Patriots co-founder Jenny Beth Martin and publicly led by Simone Gold, the group is opposed to measures intended to control the COVID-19 pandemic, such as business closures, stay-at-home orders, and vaccination. The group promotes falsehoods about the COVID-19 pandemic and COVID-19 vaccines.

AFLDS made its first public appearance during a media event on July 27, 2020, where they advocated for the use of repurposed drugs such as hydroxychloroquine as treatments for COVID-19. Their statements were made without the support of peer-reviewed evidence or regulatory approval, and the group also alleged that the pharmaceutical industry was intentionally sponsoring studies showing the drugs to be ineffective. Video of the event was distributed via right-wing websites and social media outlets, and also promoted by then-U.S. president Donald Trump and his son.[4][5][6]

The extreme far right have always been here in our country. Trump just made it possible for them to come out of the shadows.

That does not refute my claim, it confirms that a minority of protest participants were responsible for the associated violence and property damage. That was also the case at the 1/6/2021 Capitol riot.
The Trumpsters that attacked police officers and entered the Capitol weren’t protestors. They were violent rioters.

Back
Top Bottom