• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Things you used to do on a computer that you don't anymore

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I heard the term A/S/L today for the first time in probably ... 10 years?

What other terms or actions did you used to do on a computer but now you don't/don't have to?

What other terms or actions did you used to do on a computer but now you don't/don't have to?

DOS:/C

Also endless games of minesweeper.

reboot very often ... using a floppy disc

Listen to endless loops of this:

Haven't seen this in ten years...maybe even longer.

illegal_operation_screenshot.gif

Go to the compiling clerk to get my output and get my punch cards returned.

I was going through my mom's Facebook page for her one day and I noticed that all of her friends on there (age 65ish on average) were sharing those glittery images that my generation used to use on Myspace.

cutesaying52.gif

Speaking of which, Myspace...is it even still around?

Work...

Usenet. FTP. Netscape.

Yahoo chat with my friends.

Instant Messenger for me. I remember having to go invisible to a certain guy because he would always immediately message me the second I logged on. Every single time. Very annoying.

Insert a floppy disk.

I saw a 1991 apple computer at a flea market over the weekend in perfect condition, it even had the printer with the paper that had the edges you had to rip off.

I do not use floppy drives no more unless using legacy software on legacy systems, no longer need to type ms dos commands, which were god awefull when I started computing, to get something like ultima games or doom or duke nukem working sometimes you needed to be a computer scientist to get extended memory or cd rom drivers to work properly in dos. Others include exiting windows to use dos programs, blue screen of death from everything(now we get a frowny face).

I remember boot disks being needed for games just to load the right extended memory as not every game used it, or needing to exit windows to safely shutdown. Oh and packard bell navigator, that thing was garbage, as was any mainstream internet that logged on with a screeching sound.

Insert a floppy disk.

I saw a 1991 apple computer at a flea market over the weekend in perfect condition, it even had the printer with the paper that had the edges you had to rip off.

Was it cheap and if so why did you not buy it? Hipsters pay a fortune for those things in good condition, sometimes upwards of 500-1k dollars.

Insert a floppy disk.

I loved tearing the edges off, I used to run reports with 19,000 employees on it...we had a big printer that we rolled around from computer to computer, with a giant SCSI connection. Took forever, loud as hell.

The fun of teaching people how to play games.

Attachments

• Maze Game Level 3.JPG
    Maze Game Level 3.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 60

Log onto AOL.

Try and connect to the printer 2 feet away from me - or any other devices I used to buy.

Another thing I don't have to do is lug around 100mb Zip cards and a huge Zip drive...

Computer herpes, er I mean limewire.

MSN chat for me. It's been at least 15 years since I was in a chatroom.
Then i discovered message boards and that was good enough for me.

Anyone else play this back in the day?

This is where I learned the word "spelunking".

Anyone else play this back in the day?

This is where I learned the word "spelunking".

Holy crap you must have had a super powered apple 2 in the day to play that!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom