• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Things to do in NYC.

Stewart

Cammunist
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Hi. So I arrive in New York City on Sunday. I have a few days free before and after a contiki tour departing 8/2. Aside from 9/11 memorial I have barely anything booked. Suggestions welcome. I'm looking for anything, especially things that are cheap.

Also things to do in my other tour cities welcome as well.

2 dollar ho.

Isn't that illegal in the land of the free?
Play the shadows, my brother. There shall you find them. You won't look for very long.

Hi. So I arrive in New York City on Sunday. I have a few days free before and after a contiki tour departing 8/2. Aside from 9/11 memorial I have barely anything booked. Suggestions welcome. I'm looking for anything, especially things that are cheap.

It's not on your agenda, but you might like a drive down Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. It won't cost much at all.

It's not on your agenda, but you might like a drive down Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. It won't cost much at all.

Greetings, humbolt! :2wave:

I heartily agree! It's one of the most beautiful parts of the country! Great suggestion! :thumbs:

Greetings, humbolt! :2wave:

I heartily agree! It's one of the most beautiful parts of the country! Great suggestion! :thumbs:
Morning, Pol. How is your recovery and your garden doing? My broccoli is done. Tomatoes are behind. Squash isn't doing a whole lot. Everything else is fine, but a little slow this year.

Morning, Pol. How is your recovery and your garden doing? My broccoli is done. Tomatoes are behind. Squash isn't doing a whole lot. Everything else is fine, but a little slow this year.

I'm way ahead on the recovery curve...:thanks: for asking... but the garden is super-slow this year. I hope we don't have an early Fall! I guess having six weeks...minus only three days... of daily rain has confused it. I have lived in the same area all my life, with a high elevation above sea level, and never have we had cars under water with the police rescuing people, and the storm sewers spewing water out! This isn't New Orleans! :eek: I'm going to keep those photos that my neighbors sent me! It's finally stopped here, and now it's moved to the Houston area, but they really need it! They only had 50 minutes of rain spread over three days in the same six-week period! I was there, and it was hot and miserable...and dry! I hope Mother Nature gets her act together soon! :scared:

Go to Katzs deli get a pastrami sandwich

When I went to NYC it was always for business, so I didn't have free time to see all that I'd like to have seen. Times square is worth seeing because it's so... New York! A walk down Broadway can be exciting, as you see all the theaters and Broadway show marquees... at night the place is lit up like Christmas, but the sidewalks are so packed with theater-goers that I wouldn't suggest going on foot except during daylight hours. Driving in the city itself is a nightmare, btw. 90% of movement is via taxi or subway. I took the ferry to Staten Island, and although the ride was kinda fun, it was extremely long and provided little to see beyond a distant view of the Statue of Liberty... which was under refurbishment while I was there, and I've always regretted not being able to tour it. I've been told if I ever go back, I must take a trip to Coney Island, so you might want to check that out as well.

There is an energy in Manhattan that is palpable, and unlike any place I've ever been before. I've always wanted to go back, and hope you enjoy your time there!

Take a walking tour of Chinatown and Little Italy. Chinatown has a million places for a cheap meal

Greenwich Village or the East Village are also nice to walk around. Lots of interesting people.

Central Park is also something you should check out.

Lots of good clubs and music shows in NYC. You might want to look into that

---------------
Well, there are lots of great museums, Staten Island ferry, Empire State Building.
Heck, I even liked the touristy Grey Line Bus....and the subway.
Lots of places to eat.
Lots of great bars...if you speak Aussie, someones sure to buy you a beer.
Have a blast....I can't wait for my next visit.

Depends what you're really into. New York pretty much has it all, and in abundance. Sadly, I haven't been there in almost ten years, but the mainstream things that I really loved about the city (and which are still just as I left them) were the major museums: The Moma, the natural history museum, Brooklyn Museum of Art, Guggenheim, and countless others.

Well, a little bit of a short notice.

When we went to NYC we contacted Big Apple Greeters which is a volunteer group of New Yorkers. If you get selected by a greeter they will take you on a tour of a part of NYC they know well.
We lucked out and got a guy named Herb from Brooklyn. This guy came to our hotel the morning after we arrived. Took us on the subway and explained how it all worked. Went down towards Brooklyn Bridge and walked with us across the bridge into neighborhoods that we would never had gone on our own. Spent four hours at least with him. Showed us homes that famous New Yorkers had lived and spent a very good amount of time talking about the Brooklyn Bridge constructions.
Nicest guy you could meet. You aren't suppose to tip them but when we parted ways after he directed us to a subway train to get back to our hotel I left a git bag of items from the Northwest and told him it was too heavy to carry back and smiled at him. He took the gift bag and waves goodbye to us. We will never see him again but will not forget his kindness.

Take a walking tour of Chinatown and Little Italy. Chinatown has a million places for a cheap meal

Greenwich Village or the East Village are also nice to walk around. Lots of interesting people.

Central Park is also something you should check out.

I agree with all your suggestions, Sangha...and...

I just got back from NYC. We stayed for like 5 days.

For my suggestions...I would say:

Go to the docks...on the Hudson. Even take a 2 hour cruise from the Hudson all the way around to the East River...go up past the Brooklyn Bridge. Go to Liberty Island. Go to Battery park...watch the water taxis. Go to Washington Park...people watch. I like people watching. Some great park areas around Manhattan.

As you said, Sangha...Central Park...I love it. I can spend hours on end at different areas of the park. China Town is alright. There's a few "Dumpling places" that are fantastic. Can't remember the names right now. Chelsea area has some good places to eat.

They have these bleechers to sit on at Times Square if you just wanna sit and people watch. Go to MoMa (Museum of Modern Art) if you are an art fan. Don't go on Free Day...It's better to pay. You'd stand in line forever.

If you've never been...then catch Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty...it and Liberty are open again after Sandy hit.

Oh...you can go to where the World Trade Center buildings...were...and now that's a magnificent new building going up. And directly on the site is two memorial water falls with the names of all of the people who died there.

Go to the SOHO area...the artsy center of Manhattan.

Go to Motorino's Pizza...fantastic. Or the Meatball shop. There's great Deli's. But moderate priced places...quite a few that's pretty good.

I will tell you that there isn't really that cheap cheap food anywhere that's really worth eating. I found that really cheap cheap restaurants...you'll be disappointed with many. Better off at a fast food chain.

DON'T EAT around Time's Square...unless you want to spend a lot of money for food. Like say a sandwich, soup, and salad....55.00.

Some good food close to Harlem...and even the Bronx. Have to kind of check around on the net for some of those places.

If one's got some buck...that they don't mind letting go of...catch a Broadway or even Off Broadway play or musical. But it's an art to buying cheap tickets.

I love NYC...and I'm a country boy. I've lived in the country (Texas Hill Country) for 25 years. If I had to live in a big city...NYC...it'd be it...with San Francisco in 2nd place. Now that's opposite sides of the planet...but hey?

Go to the docks...on the Hudson. Even take a 2 hour cruise from the Hudson all the way around to the East River...go up past the Brooklyn Bridge. Go to Liberty Island. Go to Battery park...watch the water taxis. Go to Washington Park...people watch. I like people watching. Some great park areas around Manhattan.

As you said, Sangha...Central Park...I love it. I can spend hours on end at different areas of the park. China Town is alright. There's a few "Dumpling places" that are fantastic. Can't remember the names right now. Chelsea area has some good places to eat.

They have these bleechers to sit on at Times Square if you just wanna sit and people watch. Go to MoMa (Museum of Modern Art) if you are an art fan. Don't go on Free Day...It's better to pay. You'd stand in line forever.

If you've never been...then catch Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty...it and Liberty are open again after Sandy hit.

Oh...you can go to where the World Trade Center buildings...were...and now that's a magnificent new building going up. And directly on the site is two memorial water falls with the names of all of the people who died there.

Go to Motorino's Pizza...fantastic. Or the Meatball shop. There's great Deli's. But moderate priced places...quite a few that's pretty good.

I will tell you that there isn't really that cheap cheap food anywhere that's really worth eating. I found that really cheap cheap restaurants...you'll be disappointed with many. Better off at a fast food chain.

DON'T EAT around Time's Square...unless you want to spend a lot of money for food. Like say a sandwich, soup, and salad....55.00.

Some good food close to Harlem...and even the Bronx. Have to kind of check around on the net for some of those places.

If one's got some buck...that they don't mind letting go of...catch a Broadway or even Off Broadway play or musical. But it's an art to buying cheap tickets.

I love NYC...and I'm a country boy. I've lived in the country (Texas Hill Country) for 25 years. If I had to live in a big city...NYC...it'd be it...with San Francisco in 2nd place. Now that's opposite sides of the planet...but hey?

Great info. And I love San Francisco too!!! Also my second favorite city. The wharf, the streetcars, the ambiance of the unique buildings, China town, the piers... a great, great place to visit! :)

I second the suggestion to check out Soho. Lots of trendy shops, fashion, art galleries, etc and lots of interesting architecture. But be warned, it's pricey. However, you don't have to actually buy anything.

Also, eating near Times Square is generally a waste. Generally overpriced and not as good food as you can get elsewhere. You can check out yelp.com for reviews of restaurants.

PS - If you're going to get fried dumplings (ie potstickers) in Chinatown, go to Excellent Dumpling House on Lafayette Street, just south of Canal St.

Last edited:
Great info. And I love San Francisco too!!! Also my second favorite city. The wharf, the streetcars, the ambiance of the unique buildings, China town, the piers... a great, great place to visit! :)

I hear ya. Actually I like China Town better in San Francisco. But that's just me. Love watching the seals catch the sun at the Wharf. Streetcars...insane. You really have to learn how and where to get on the dang things. And there's nice little hour or two boat things to cruise around the bay.

Hey, I like the subways there too. One thing about San Francisco is...like NYC...you don't need a car. Cabs in NYC...YIKES...:shock: They scare the hell out of me.

But S.F....a lot of really good food that won't kill your pocketbook...but...like NYC...you have to learn the spots to get decent food that doesn't make you have to sell the kids are get a second mortgage.

I do agree with you...its really nice town.

The nicest winter I ever spent was in July in S.F....:lol: It can get chilly there...even in the hottest months of the summer.

I second the suggestion to check out Soho. Lots of trendy shops, fashion, art galleries, etc and lots of interesting architecture. But be warned, it's pricey. However, you don't have to actually buy anything.

Also, eating near Times Square is generally a waste. Generally overpriced and not as good food as you can get elsewhere. You can check out yelp.com for reviews of restaurants.

PS - If you're going to get fried dumplings (ie potstickers) in Chinatown, go to Excellent Dumpling House on Lafayette Street, just south of Canal St.

SoHo sucks now Go to Red Hook and or Williamsburg Brooklyn instead lots of activity there now And of course there is DUMBO

I hear ya. Actually I like China Town better in San Francisco. But that's just me. Love watching the seals catch the sun at the Wharf. Streetcars...insane. You really have to learn how and where to get on the dang things. And there's nice little hour or two boat things to cruise around the bay.

China town in sf is a really cool neighborhood. And if I recall correctly, seemed much larger and more "ethnic" in character than the one in NY. NY chinatown can be pretty nondescript at times

China town in sf is a really cool neighborhood. And if I recall correctly, seemed much larger and more "ethnic" in character than the one in NY. NY chinatown can be pretty nondescript at times

You know...area size wise...I just don't recall, you could well be right. But I do enjoy walking around in SF China Town more. Well, for one, I think it's clean(er) in SF.

In NY...recently, trash was stacked up everywhere. And it's not been they way in past few trips. Not sure what the deal was, but I think Sandy has gotten things out of kilter...with a number of city services.

Actually the last time we where in NY...was 4 days after Sandy. Nobody had gasoline. Taxis and limos...driving 50 miles out of the city with gas cans. All of the taxis smelled like gas.

But it's not that way now.

I just remembering SF chinatown having lots of cool architecture and a "open market" feel to the streets that are pretty common in Asia. It just had a really cool atmosphere an vibe to it.

Though that could all be a byproduct of over indulgence in acid and watching "Big trouble in little china" too many times

Find a transvestite crackhead pedophile and elect him mayor?

Back
Top Bottom