• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Things that contributed to Bush's Hard Presidency

jamespol

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Well I am a Democrat, but I like Bush. I really like him, in fact if I was old enough to vote in 2004, I would have voted straight Democrat, but vote Bush over Kerry cause Bush is the better leader and is cuter then Kerry....

So I have complied a list of things that contributed to Bush's low approval ratings, and hardship in his Presidency. People blame him for EVERYTHING that goes wrong, which is just wrong in itself. Not every problem in the world is his fault.

• The Budget Decifits
  • Half of Europe hates his guts
  • Industrial America is going bankrupt
  • High Gas Prices
  • Katrina
  • Fema
  • Gitmo
  • Avian Flu
  • Same-Sex Marriage
  • Stem Cells
  • Scooter Libby
  • Tom Delay
  • Condoleezza Rice
  • Harriet Miers
  • Samuel Alito
  • The Nagin-Blanco-Brown Disaster Trio
  • Karl Rove
  • WMD

Did I miss anything??

James

jamespol said:
Well I am a Democrat, but I like Bush. I really like him, in fact if I was old enough to vote in 2004, I would have voted straight Democrat, but vote Bush over Kerry cause Bush is the better leader and is cuter then Kerry....

So I have complied a list of things that contributed to Bush's low approval ratings, and hardship in his Presidency. People blame him for EVERYTHING that goes wrong, which is just wrong in itself. Not every problem in the world is his fault.

• The Budget Decifits
  • Half of Europe hates his guts
  • Industrial America is going bankrupt
  • High Gas Prices
  • Katrina
  • Fema
  • Gitmo
  • Avian Flu
  • Same-Sex Marriage
  • Stem Cells
  • Scooter Libby
  • Tom Delay
  • Condoleezza Rice
  • Harriet Miers
  • Samuel Alito
  • The Nagin-Blanco-Brown Disaster Trio
  • Karl Rove
  • WMD

Did I miss anything??

James

If you're not old enough to vote, do your parents know you've been drinking?

OK, maybe that's a little harsh, but:

Budget deficits? That's Reaganomics. Bush was moving away from Newt's Contract and right back to the record deficits of the 80's long before anything "took" him there.

Harriet Miers? Who should take the blame for that?

Katrina? It wasn't Katrina that caused the numbers to go down, it was the Presidents reaction. He viewed the devastation...................from 30 000ft on Air Force One.

Half of Europe hates his guts? Only because of Iraq. Europe loved him after 9/11 and through Afghanistan.

Last edited:
* The Budget Decifits- Bush Created the deficits
* Half of Europe hates his guts- Bush Created the Dislike
* Industrial America is going bankrupt-Not His Fault
* High Gas Prices-Iraq War/ Adminstration Support
* Katrina-Buck Stops with Bush/Poor choice in FEMA director
* Fema-Engulfed By Homeland Security because of Bush
* Gitmo-All on Bush
* Avian Flu-Not his Fault and not a big deal
* Same-Sex Marriage-Bush makes this an Issue
* Stem Cells-Bush Makes this an Issue
* Scooter Libby-His Administration...His Fault
* Tom Delay-His Administration...His Fault
* Condoleezza Rice-His Administration...His Fault
* Harriet Miers-His Administration...His Fault
* Samuel Alito-good choice
* The Nagin-Blanco-Brown Disaster Trio-His Administration...His Fault
* Karl Rove-His Administration...His Fault
* WMD- All on Him

He is blamed for these things because....he is the President of the United States....and its his watch

Yall are just closed-minded and would rather bash Bush all day. He is only 1 person.

jamespol said:
Yall are just closed-minded and would rather bash Bush all day. He is only 1 person.

Do you refute what we are saying?

Read my posts and tell me I'm a "Bush basher". I am not. Instead of mindlessly throwing names out, either counter our argument or show evidence that I am a basher.

OK, maybe that's a little harsh, but:.

Thats lovely.

Budget deficits? That's Reaganomics. Bush was moving away from Newt's Contract and right back to the record deficits of the 80's long before anything "took" him there.

Bush might have played a large role in creating the budget deficits, but Congress had a choice to approve his budget or not. One thing I do not agree with Bush on is tax cuts, at least right now. Republicans seems to think everything can be solved with a tax cut.

Harriet Miers? Who should take the blame for that?
That was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I have two conclusions about why he chose Miers.

1. He was under pressure to nominate a women, and she was the only one he trusted on the Supreme Court.
  2. Or, He truly wanted to nominate Sam Alito, but with everyone pressuring him to chose a women, he chose someone unqualified that would likely fail, so he could go ahead and chose Alito. Notice he was only picked a few days after Ms. Miers withdrew.

Katrina? It wasn't Katrina that caused the numbers to go down, it was the Presidents reaction. He viewed the devastation...................from 30 000ft on Air Force One.

Well it is unfortunate that this disaster happened. However the state and local governments should have been the first agencies to respond. The Govenor of Louisiana didn't care that a bunch of black people in New Orleans were dying, even though she couldn't have won without the black vote, and the mayor and his lovely city government knew for years a disaster was bound to happen, but never took the time to plan for emergencies. Remember his "chocolate city" comment? The Federal Government could have done a better responce, however it was the state and local government that screwed up.

OK, maybe that's a little harsh, but:.

Thats lovely.

Yes, you're right, that's uncalled for and why I slapped my own wrist. Can't argue with you.

Bush might have played a large role in creating the budget deficits, but Congress had a choice to approve his budget or not. One thing I do not agree with Bush on is tax cuts, at least right now. Republicans seems to think everything can be solved with a tax cut

He campaigned on huge tax cuts during both presedential campaigns. He has vetoed a grand total of ZERO bills put before him, so I ask you this, where does the buck stop? Congress, or the president.

Well it is unfortunate that this disaster happened. However the state and local governments should have been the first agencies to respond. The Govenor of Louisiana didn't care that a bunch of black people in New Orleans were dying, even though she couldn't have won without the black vote, and the mayor and his lovely city government knew for years a disaster was bound to happen, but never took the time to plan for emergencies. Remember his "chocolate city" comment? The Federal Government could have done a better responce, however it was the state and local government that screwed up.

There is no question that there is plenty of blame to go around. But I ask you this, was the president UNFAIRLY criticized for his actions? Was he blamed for something that was out of his control?

My argument is that he was not unfairly criticized. That doesn't mean nobody else screwed up.

Do not worry about it.

Now, I think Bush was unfairly criticized. People think the President has all the power in the world, when if fact he really doesn't.

If Bush vetoed a Tax increase, then Congress COULD override it, but not likely.

James

I will write more later, kind of busy now.

Lets ask?
1. Liberal Media, Liberal Media, Liberal Media

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

There is no such thing as Liberal Media. The media is not entirely controlled by Democrats by any means, if it were, we would have a Democratic speaker of the House now.

So do not give me that liberal media BULLS****.

errr SirJamesofTexas:

Sorry, I think I was a bit too harsh with my words in my previous post.

I am sorry.

okay,..............Lets ask.
1. Just think back to Dan Rather.
2. Where was the moral outrage from the liberal media? ABC,CBS,NBC,KERA etcetera.
3. Truth and fairness is by gone.
4. Some balanced and Conservative outlets did call it correctly.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

jamespol said:

• The Budget Decifits - This is partly Bush's fault, but the main fault lies with the american people of all stripes, who have voted themselves entitlements that the U.S. economy is unable to support.
  • Half of Europe hates his guts - Euros have ALWAYS hated america's guts, especially the french. They hate Bush personally because he looks out for america's interests, as opposed to several of his predecessors who looked out for the euros' interests.
  • Industrial America is going bankrupt - This is a historical development not under anyone's control, much less Bush's
  • High Gas Prices - the high costs for energy are due to (1) the opec cartel and (2) immense new demand from emerging industrial countries like china and india.
  • Katrina - blame all around, but as for the residents, I remember an article about a woman from california who was visiting New Orleans. she said she saw on TV a hurricane the size of the continental U.S. heading directly for NO, and left town. Quantum Mechanics.
  • Fema - clearly incompetent people there.
  • Gitmo - no problem. Tens of thousands of WWI prisoners were held in the U.S. without "due process" during WWII
  • Avian Flu - nobody's fault
  • Same-Sex Marriage - the only people who would oppose Bush on this, gays and liberals, have always been against Bush.

Did I miss anything??

James

-----------

chesswarsnow said:
okay,..............Lets ask.
1. Just think back to Dan Rather.
2. Where was the moral outrage from the liberal media? ABC,CBS,NBC,KERA etcetera.
3. Truth and fairness is by gone.
4. Some balanced and Conservative outlets did call it correctly.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

How much did that story affect the Presidents numbers? That came out during the campaign, and I believe the polls had the President ahead of Kerry something like 10 points at the time, and his approval rating was steady at just under 50. That story did not hurt the President in either way (against Kerry or job approval) so can you blame Dan Rather on the Presidents abysmal numbers now?

Most important things in life depend on making the right choices. To do so requires sound judgment, for which neither intellect nor study may suffice; and, whenever in doubt, one need have resort to good advice. It is even the more so in politics, for it is not always a question of “right” or “left,” but in choosing rightly and wisely. This last has been the major fault and failing of the present administration, for President Bush - like him or not - has repeatedly made bad decisions, for which he received bad advice; and in which mistakes he has wrongly chosen to persist, compounding the error. It is time now that President Bush be made to see the error of his ways.

We - all of us - have a large stake in seeing that President Bush does not fail, for it is on “We the people” that the consequences of such failure will be visited; and not just ourselves, but upon our children and grandchildren and generations to come. It is time that we put aside our selfish, partisan interests, and unite in the common cause of our country, our Constitution, and the commonweal. In this we must not fail, we must not hesitate and falter, but we must act with diligence and courage in the performance of our duties as citizens, both in choosing our representatives and elected officials and in seeing that they act in accordance with the law and in the interests of our nation.

Lets ask?
1. Wether it hurt Bush at the time of his campaign isn't the point, it's the fact the liberal media gave it a pass, none of them reported on how bad the other is doing to forge their agenda. (Lie for Democrats)
2. They all stick together in the *smear campaign* of the Republicans.
3. Proof that this story was made up, was revealed.
4.Silence from all the liberal outlets (ABC,NBC,CBS,KERA) was typical of these times.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

You may have a point....this would explain why the Administration had to "Buy" and air fake news reports, and pass them off as actual News in order to get a supporting message thru the Liberal Media. I guess we can excuse blatant propoganda from the Government, As they were only trying to bypass the obvious Bias in the Media. I mean....its not as if the media is required to actually report the news or anything.

chesswarsnow said:
Lets ask?
1. Wether it hurt Bush at the time of his campaign isn't the point, it's the fact the liberal media gave it a pass, none of them reported on how bad the other is doing to forge their agenda. (Lie for Democrats)
2. They all stick together in the *smear campaign* of the Republicans.
3. Proof that this story was made up, was revealed.
4.Silence from all the liberal outlets (ABC,NBC,CBS,KERA) was typical of these times.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

And my point was the affect of that was ZERO.

This administration is just crying foul now, because the free ride is finally over. After President Bush won the most controversial election ever, there was a belief that the country had to unite to put that behind them. Then just when the media was starting to question again like it's supposed to 9/11 happened and again the feeling was to unite behind the President. Criticism is for another time. Now, things are back to the way they are supposed to be, and the guys in charge believe they are above being questioned.

millsy said:
And my point was the affect of that was ZERO.

This administration is just crying foul now, because the free ride is finally over. After President Bush won the most controversial election ever, there was a belief that the country had to unite to put that behind them. Then just when the media was starting to question again like it's supposed to 9/11 happened and again the feeling was to unite behind the President. Criticism is for another time. Now, things are back to the way they are supposed to be, and the guys in charge believe they are above being questioned.

Lets ask?
1. Crying? Nope we are laughing to more wins.
2. Medias still leaning liberal, and this won't change anytime soon, this fact hurts the credibility of the Democrats more than anyone. + factor for the Republicans!
3. To bad the media can't make this s**t stick after slinging it like wild monkeys on a daily basis for almost 6 years !::doh

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Back
Top Bottom