• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Things I want to take from religion, as a none believer.

Tim the plumber

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Just watched this TED talk. He puts into words my thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oe6HUgrRlQ&app=desktop

I once attempted to start an atheist church thingy. All that social meeting up on a Sunday and stuff.

The reason it failed was that there are 3 sorts of atheist;

1, atheist, like when you are born because you have no notion of this God idea so you cannot possibly believe.

2, Atheist, when you have had a think about it and you don't believe in fairies.

3, ATHEIST, when you will go onto internet forums to explian why this God thing is massively bad.

I, and all the rest who turned up, are of the third kind. The central defining charcteristic of our personalities we all had in common was that we are all extremely, naturally, born that way, can't change it even if we wanted to, massively individualistic.

The resulting herd of cats fell appart.

Any ideas how we get over that?

As an atheist I do appreciate Christ's messege of forgiveness and tolerance. You dont have to be a Christian to appreciate the mans messege.

You can’t because you’re starting from a fundamentally flawed concept. The idea of an atheist church is as ridiculous as the idea of a theist church – not related to any specific religion or specific set of beliefs, simply theistic. It’d be a bit like trying to start a sports team without deciding which sport it would play.

A specifically atheistic religion is perfectly possible – several already exist – but you’d need to develop that above and beyond the simple singular “statement of not believing in any gods”. You’ve not said which aspects of religion (or that you think are part of religion) you want to take but I suspect none of them require anything like religion at all (not even an atheistic form). Aspects people commonly refer to are the social grouping and interaction, the moral principles and guidance or the art and music, all of which are perfectly achievable – and indeed are achieved by many people – outside of any kind of religion at all.

I once attempted to start an atheist church thingy. All that social meeting up on a Sunday and stuff.

1, atheist, like when you are born because you have no notion of this God idea so you cannot possibly believe.

2, Atheist, when you have had a think about it and you don't believe in fairies.

3, ATHEIST, when you will go onto internet forums to explian why this God thing is massively bad.

I, and all the rest who turned up, are of the third kind. The central defining charcteristic of our personalities we all had in common was that we are all extremely, naturally, born that way, can't change it even if we wanted to, massively individualistic.

What I want to understand is.......

.........why do you need to take anything from religion at all? Like, starting a church?
Why do you need to go to forums - like it's your own mission or "ministry" - just to explain why this
"God thing," is bad?

Why can't you just be an atheist - and be at peace with that?

Last edited:

I fail to see why you'd want to start an "atheist church thingy".

What's the point? What's the end game?

Kind of like starting a band that features members who have no desire to play an instrument or sing.

Kind of like starting a band that features members who have no desire to play an instrument or sing.

Did you watch the video?

The social gathering of friendlieness and support stuff.

I think I would have guest speakers from the science crowd in Sheffield if I could. Just any of the researchers here who could just tell us about the advancements they are trying to do. But.... would they want to come just for a free lunch?

Did you watch the video?

The social gathering of friendlieness and support stuff.

I think I would have guest speakers from the science crowd in Sheffield if I could. Just any of the researchers here who could just tell us about the advancements they are trying to do. But.... would they want to come just for a free lunch?

So you want a social club of "like minded people"?

You want science discussions, start a science club.
You want sports discussions, go to a sports bar.
You want to dance with folks, go to a bar, or dance hall.

There's clubs for runners.
There's clubs for stamp collecting.
Dog owners clubs.
Motorcycle clubs.

All I can say is that I fully understand why non-believers would feel absolutely no need or desire to join an "atheist church thingy".
I wouldn't go to one.

There's a ca-gillion choices out in the "real world" and on the web for social interaction.

This organization seems to be very successful along these lines, and would likely be willing to provide support:

Atheist Community of Austin

Last edited:

You get over it. Sounds like fundy atheists are as annoying as fundy Christians. That's why people don't want to go to your "church". Well, that, and most atheists I know would pop their eyes out of their sockets due to excessive rolling at the thought of an "I hate God" church.

This organization seems to be very successful along these lines, and would likely be willing to provide support:

Atheist Community of Austin

Ummm,

Seems all a bit heavy. It would have been nice if they had had videos of some of their events to get the flavor. It is the flavor I am after rather than the interlectual side.

You get over it. Sounds like fundy atheists are as annoying as fundy Christians. That's why people don't want to go to your "church". Well, that, and most atheists I know would pop their eyes out of their sockets due to excessive rolling at the thought of an "I hate God" church.

The point is to avoid the Ihate God bit and look for the positive aspects of the Sunday church thingy without any need to lie.

The point is to avoid the Ihate God bit and look for the positive aspects of the Sunday church thingy without any need to lie.

That's a personal choice, man. Maybe find something else to be pissed off about for a while, then try putting together your group together. Or, just have a get together on Sundays, without appropriating the Church stuff. Call it Sunday Brunch Club or something. Trying to set it up as an anti-event, or counter-event, will only attract axe grinders, and those people are exhausting.

Thank you for the candor of finally admitting that atheism is an ideology. Why else then would you desire to build a church where you can all assemble and fellowship? :)

OM

Because they can all then congregate and spread their ideological message, just like any other religion.

OM

Thank you for the candor of finally admitting that atheism is an ideology. Why else then would you desire to build a church where you can all assemble and fellowship? :)

OM

:giggle1:

This is an easy one, join the Episcopal Church, they don't believe in God, either and they have nice buildings. The pot lucks are pretty good if you stay away from the stuff containing mayo.

OM

Like bald is a hair style.

Maybe mindset might be the word you are looking for if you wish not be 90% lying.

This is an easy one, join the Episcopal Church, they don't believe in God, either and they have nice buildings. The pot lucks are pretty good if you stay away from the stuff containing mayo.

I think you will find that the church of England (CofE) has even less beliefs than them. Still far too into the fairies for me.

Maybe mindset might be the word you are looking for if you wish not be 90% lying.

I don't need to lie, so long as I'm using your own words. :)

OM

I don't need to lie, so long as I'm using your own words. :)

OM

Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Thank you for the candor of finally admitting that atheism is an ideology. Why else then would you desire to build a church where you can all assemble and fellowship?

You are lying fully when you cliam that I have described atheisim as an ideology.

I think you will find that the church of England (CofE) has even less beliefs than them. Still far too into the fairies for me.

Only in England. There are some CofE affiliated Churches in America that still believe.

Whatever you do, you have to give them lunch, the free lunch really packs them in.

Ummm,

Seems all a bit heavy. It would have been nice if they had had videos of some of their events to get the flavor. It is the flavor I am after rather than the interlectual side.

They have a dinner every Sunday evening. They work helping/feeding the homeless. They have an annual "bat cruise". The have games nights and stuff.

They have a weekly TV show on Community TV (converted to some sort of podcast I believe) called "Atheist Experience". That will give you a taste of some of their members, and they usually talk about upcoming events every show, so that might help as well, that's how I know about the things they do.

They sound like they are happy to answer emails from people like you, so maybe give them a try? Can't hurt. :)

Ah, but...does a bald head need a comb? Wouldn't creating a church for non believers be like buying a comb for a bald head?

(playing word games, don't care to actually label you, you do you, bud)

You are lying fully when you cliam that I have described atheisim as an ideology.

Again, I don't have to lie when your own words do so. You yourself admitted to desiring forming a fellowship with other atheists. I certainly didn't.

OM

Back
Top Bottom