• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

They're remaking CHAOSGATE

I finished Battlesector today. It's a very good WH40K game. It plays pretty much like a table top game. The whole campaign took me about 32 hours with a healthy dose of reloading.

I will say that of the 20 missions in the campaign there are maybe 2 that the devs really said "Ef you!" to the player. They both have an almost impossible win condition that requires that you save some group of units that is almost impossibly surrounded when the mission starts. So a few points about the game on completing:

Pros:

1) The game sounds great. All the weapons sound good and imposing.
2) Sticking with the melee, facing and retaliation rules makes each turn a nice knot to untangle.
3) Wide selection of units by the end of the game, even if you don't spend the extra $3 on the two elite units.
4) Nice array of buffs from the hero units provide some needed advantages if you use them wisely.
5) Good story as far as it goes, though it's really a setup to future expansion campaigns.

Cons:

1) As mentionmed above, some real ball buster missions.. though they are really ball busters because...
2) Some units are extremely underpowered. Here is the list, and teh problems:
- Assault marines: They can't upgrade from their starting melee weapon, and are made of tissue paper... as such, their only real use is as a finisher to a unit that was nearly dead already... at which point another ranged unit would do a better job. The lack of melee upgrade means they fail to scale withe the campaign. I stopped deploying them by mission 3.
- Sisters of Battle: If assult marines are made of tissue paper, Sisterrs of Battle are made of rice paper. Their two primary alternative units to the Marine and Assault Maries have teh same firepower but less health.
3) The jump jet system seems broken. Each unit starts each turn with a certain numer of action points (attack) and movement points. While the jump jets consume no Action points, they consume Movement points, so you can't jump and run any further than you can run. It's just used as a way of getting past terrain obstacles of skipping over melee overwatch... this mechanic also really hurts the Assault marine stength.
4) Not usually something I complain about, but some units are too powerful. The only reason this is a problem is that you have to resist the urge to just field an army of a given unit . For example:
- Heavy Plasma Marine: While they cost about twice as much as their marine counterpart, they are absurdly strong when you know how to use them. They have the longest ranged weapon, that does the most damage per shot. Two heavy plasma marines can fairly easily take out the biggest boss enemies the game can through at you, and they do it at a range that no enemy unit can match. In the final mission my two Heavy Plasma squads killed the boss and half of the boss' managerie of big units, each one taking a single turn to take down. It was just a matter of getting them in place.
- Any armored unit: It's weird saying that when every unit appears armored, but there are a handful of units with high armor values that make them practically impervious to more than half the weapons that the enemy can field.
5) Most unit weapon upgrades aren't really worth it. Many are so conditional that you end up making the unit useless in 90% of the encounters they have, while kicking ass in the one they are greated for. Some just make no sense at all... in a game where armor is king, what is the point of upgrading, say, the base model marine for a weapon that fires a few more bullets, but has worse armor penetration? Obviously this rule doesn;t apply to the Heavy Plasma upgrade as stated above.

I know that with the cons the wall of text makes them seem more game breaking than they are, but they aren't. While you do have a long list of units to choose from, you just learn quickly the handful of units you stick in the corner of the barracks with construction paper and crayons.

Anyway, 7/10 ... it's not often I like a game enough to finish it.

Also, the devs seem committed to adding more races to the game, with the Necrons being added shortly.

It would seem to me that Battlesector, if they stick with development, will become a rather nice virtual tabletop system for people who want to play against each other in a skirmish.

CHAOSGATE has released its first DLC. The new DLC "DUTY ETERNAL" adds a rather interesting feature where you can now convert a dead Space Marine into a Dreadnought.

I've always liked the Dreadnoughts but really this feels a lot like the XCOM-2 DLC that allowed you to turn soldiers into giant robots. Still cool, but...

It's looking like this DLC requires a restart of the game to take advantage of it, I'm not a fan of DLCs that just add to the base experience rathe than extend it. If this DLC just adds the option of a Dreadnought to the original campaign I'm not sure it's worth it.

That said, they also add a Techmarine class, so maybe I will give this a try.

Also, the devs seem committed to adding more races to the game, with the Necrons being added shortly.

It would seem to me that Battlesector, if they stick with development, will become a rather nice virtual tabletop system for people who want to play against each other in a skirmish.
Will they make a Necron single player campaign at all, or is it only for multiplayer?

Will they make a Necron single player campaign at all, or is it only for multiplayer?

Don't know, I haven't picked it up.

Oh, I should also mention that WH40K: Gladius might be up your alley. It is a CIV style game where you can play all of the various WH40K factions.

I played a lot of it last year. My only knock is the same as all other CIV clones in that I don't like combat on the strategy map. I much prefer Age of Wonders style games where combat take place in a table-top format.

Reactions: PoS
Oh, I should also mention that WH40K: Gladius might be up your alley. It is a CIV style game where you can play all of the various WH40K factions.

I played a lot of it last year. My only knock is the same as all other CIV clones in that I don't like combat on the strategy map. I much prefer Age of Wonders style games where combat take place in a table-top format.
Thanks for the heads up. Ill look into it once Im done playing High on Life.

Back
Top Bottom