• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

They're remaking CHAOSGATE

jmotivator

Computer Gaming Nerd
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
CHAOSGATE, released by SSI in 1998 was an amazing game. The X-Com style gameplay with WH40K itemization was such a great fit.

I've wondered since the release of X-COm 2 when some brave souls would revive this title, and now they have.

I'm a cynical and jaded old gamer, so I don't automatically assume this game will be good, but I pre-purchased it anyway because I need them to keep trying to make good WH40K games.

My quick ranking of the top 5 WH40K computer games:

1. Martyr
2. Chaosgate
3. Dawn of War II
4. Final Liberation
5. Dawn of War

To many my list is certainly heretical, but I stand by it. Most of the games that rank higher end up boiling down to rock/paper/scissors meets Chess in ways I found unfun.

Anyway... the obligatory trailer...

I remember playing the first one but never got to finish it. Is it still turn-based?

I remember playing the first one but never got to finish it. Is it still turn-based?

Yes. It's sticking to the turned-based tactical combat.

Reactions: PoS
CHAOSGATE, released by SSI in 1998 was an amazing game. The X-Com style gameplay with WH40K itemization was such a great fit.

I've wondered since the release of X-COm 2 when some brave souls would revive this title, and now they have.

I'm a cynical and jaded old gamer, so I don't automatically assume this game will be good, but I pre-purchased it anyway because I need them to keep trying to make good WH40K games.

1. Martyr
2. Chaosgate
3. Dawn of War II
4. Final Liberation
5. Dawn of War

To many my list is certainly heretical, but I stand by it. Most of the games that rank higher end up boiling down to rock/paper/scissors meets Chess in ways I found unfun.

I did love xcom and played some of the older games more recently. I will have to check this out.

I did love xcom and played some of the older games more recently. I will have to check this out.

I'm a sucker for all things WH40K and all things X-Com-like, so I had to pre-order.

I'll report back if it's any good.

Also looking forward to Knight's Tale which comes out next month... it's kind of an X-Com/Darkest Dungeons hybrid. Tactical combat is interesting, but 2 dimensional.

Phoenix Point is the best X-Com-like game I've played since X-Com 2.

1. Martyr
2. Chaosgate
3. Dawn of War II
4. Final Liberation
5. Dawn of War

Yeah, Chaosgate was a favorite. Absolutely brutal and unforgiving, much like the classic X-Com.

I share your misgivings with the reboots of these games. They frequently lack the depth of the classics.

I encourage you to check out the mods/updates for the classic X-COM, if you haven't. They've gotten rid of the old bugs with OpenXcom, and the X-Piratez mod is a complete rework of the original concept that I'm enjoying very much, though it's long on adult themes. They've even upgraded the graphics a little.

I should probably start a WH40K games thread just to hang out in and chat at myslef. 😄

Anyway, Chaos Gate is launching today, I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

While I was sitting here waiting for the game to unlock I was doing some reading on the Steam forum for the game, and someone on there pointed me to two WH40K games that I'd never heard of, one that was released last year, and another that is "scheduled" for release in a few months. Both look rather good.

THe first is WH40K Battlesector, which appears to be the spiritual successor to the game Final Liberation... though the scale is somewhere between Final Liberation and standard table top. It's 35% off on steam at the moment, so I'll probably buy it...

The second game is Darktide and appears to be a WH40K version of Borderlands. You choose from one of 4 primary cahracters and run looter-shooter missions in an Inquisitor Hive city. This one really peaks my interest. They haven't done any games about the lives of people in cities.

Take my money!

Last edited:
Apparently there is also a FPS game released recently called Necromunda: Hired Gun that is a city-based FPS .. but it is more a DOOM-like, so I'm not really interested.

Also, I like the first line of this review of Necromunda. 😄

Well crap, MAY 5th, not March... lol

Space Marine 2 is in development as well.

I would love a third person shooter based in the 40k universe

I'm pretty amazed at the production quality of Darktide. I'm not really used to WH40K games getting the full AAA treatment.

I'm pretty amazed at the production quality of Darktide. I'm not really used to WH40K games getting the full AAA treatment.

Never played Darktide, just the Space Marine and I want BFGothic and Total War Hammer 3

I love Games Workshop but hate First Person Shooters. I spent a lot on the minis this past 12 months
Have you tried Battlesector?

I'm planning on picking it up after some morning erands today.

Not much time, between painting and work

I started up Battlesector this morning and so far so good.

It's basically a WH40K tabletop game in PC form.

I'm playing through the Campaign which appears to be a long form tutorial done to not feel like a tutorial. Each mission they throw a new unit or two at you on both sides so that you can get used to them. So far each mission has also added a hero or two to your unit choices. So far I have a Captain (main character), Chaplain, Dreadnaught and Tech Priest. I see no reason at this point to not take them all on missions.

Hero loadouts are handled in a Tech tree fashion, with each mission giving you skill points for main and secondary objectives that you can spend between missions unlocking the spells, commands and kit you want as well as, with the captain, unlocking skills for your units.

The regular units appear to get better with missions completed, so keeping them alive pays dividends. Heroes don't seem to die, they pop back up after being downed with a sliver of health... though I think that if a hero goes down in a mission they don't get skill points awarded even if you win.

Graphics are good, and audio and weapon sounds are nice and meaty.

I like it a lot so far.

Also, while so many people like to regularly complain about the focus of WH40k games on the Human factions, I'm more annoyed with the prevalence of Tyranid as the primary enemy... never much cared for the Tyranid.

I'd like to see this game add an Orc campaign.

I started up Battlesector this morning and so far so good.

It's basically a WH40K tabletop game in PC form.

I'm playing through the Campaign which appears to be a long form tutorial done to not feel like a tutorial. Each mission they throw a new unit or two at you on both sides so that you can get used to them. So far each mission has also added a hero or two to your unit choices. So far I have a Captain (main character), Chaplain, Dreadnaught and Tech Priest. I see no reason at this point to not take them all on missions.

Hero loadouts are handled in a Tech tree fashion, with each mission giving you skill points for main and secondary objectives that you can spend between missions unlocking the spells, commands and kit you want as well as, with the captain, unlocking skills for your units.

The regular units appear to get better with missions completed, so keeping them alive pays dividends. Heroes don't seem to die, they pop back up after being downed with a sliver of health... though I think that if a hero goes down in a mission they don't get skill points awarded even if you win.

Graphics are good, and audio and weapon sounds are nice and meaty.

I like it a lot so far.
Is the single player campaign Space Marines only or can you play as another faction? I cant stand the Imperium and its the main reason why I dont play a lot of WH40K.

Is the single player campaign Space Marines only or can you play as another faction? I cant stand the Imperium and its the main reason why I dont play a lot of WH40K.

Imerium only, heretic!

Boo, they suck! The Emperor is the only leader in the known galaxy who's more senile than Biden!

Honestly, I've always liked the human factions in every game that gives me the option, and tend towards the knight/berserker class in games.. so they had natural appeal.

I think the biggest issue with playing the other races in WH40K is that in most cases the missions would really be warping into civilian populations and murdering everyone until the Imerium sends troops and anihilates you.

Also, I've always just found the dying empire motif most interesting.

Reactions: PoS
Honestly, I've always liked the human factions in every game that gives me the option, and tend towards the knight/berserker class in games.. so they had natural appeal.

I think the biggest issue with playing the other races in WH40K is that in most cases the missions would really be warping into civilian populations and murdering everyone until the Imerium sends troops and anihilates you.

Also, I've always just found the dying empire motif most interesting.
I can think of so many storylines for the other factions that wouldnt involve attacking the Imperium. The eldar could engage in an exodus, and the campaign is about protecting their worldfleets. A Tau campaign could entail establishing a new beachhead for their empire, but they end up in conflict against a tyrannid force doing the same thing. A necron campaign can be about an exiled faction that wants peace with their neighbors, and so on.

I find the Space Marines to be nothing but a bunch of religious thugs in armor blasting everything in sight. It was alright in the first few games I played, but doing it over and over again is just plain boring now.

I can think of so many storylines for the other factions that wouldnt involve attacking the Imperium. The eldar could engage in an exodus, and the campaign is about protecting their worldfleets. A Tau campaign could entail establishing a new beachhead for their empire, but they end up in conflict against a tyrannid force doing the same thing. A necron campaign can be about an exiled faction that wants peace with their neighbors, and so on.

I find the Space Marines to be nothing but a bunch of religious thugs in armor blasting everything in sight. It was alright in the first few games I played, but doing it over and over again is just plain boring now.

They are all blasting everything in sight. The galaxy is filled with the wreckage of empires because they all want to obliterate each other.

Also don't hold you breath for a Peacehammer40K game. ;)

Back
Top Bottom