• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

They'll shoot their eyes out!

it's just me

Non Bidenary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Ordered two "Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifles" for two of my 10 year old grandsons, it was inspired by watching "A Christmas Story". They will be here for Christmas from their respective homes on each end of the country.

I am, however, expecting trouble from my step-daughter from California over this. I'll just have to make sure they don't shoot their eyes out.

Just make sure they have a good backstop. My dad ended up getting pissed because one side of the garage turned into a copper mine.

Just make sure they have a good backstop. My dad ended up getting pissed because one side of the garage turned into a copper mine.

Metal signs aren't very good.

i had a Daisy when i was nine. pro-tip : shoot wild apples. then you can cut them open and get the BBs. do not shoot cans. i also used to make bad guys out of duct tape and ketchup packets and dress them in napkin suits.

i had a Daisy when i was nine. pro-tip : shoot wild apples. then you can cut them open and get the BBs. do not shoot cans. i also used to make bad guys out of duct tape and ketchup packets and dress them in napkin suits.

I will pass that one on. The bad guys can have the "X"s on their eyes!

I was told no. So I bought a slingshot with an arm strap, the kind with the medical tubing. And some pellets. All missions were accomplished with far less exposure.

I love the ketchup packet idea!

But why not shoot cans? Those were a standard target for us.

I was told no. So I bought a slingshot with an arm strap, the kind with the medical tubing. And some pellets. All missions were accomplished with far less exposure.

Those things are worse than bb guns, but at least you won't shoot your eye out.

Those things are worse than bb guns, but at least you won't shoot your eye out.

The only thing I can say in my defense is I didn't target animals. So at least I wasn't a budding serial killer. Exterior lights, however... well, let God sort 'em out.

The only thing I can say in my defense is I didn't target animals. So at least I wasn't a budding serial killer. Exterior lights, however... well, let God sort 'em out.

I didn't have a rifle but somewhere along the line I picked up a bb pistol that looked like a 1911 Colt. You could get killed walking around with that these days.

if i remember right, i hit it straight on and the BB bounced back and hit me in the face. not good when there are parts of your face that are less than BB friendly.

I didn't have a rifle but somewhere along the line I picked up a bb pistol that looked like a 1911 Colt. You could get killed walking around with that these days.

Nobody ever questioned a sling shot, or probably even saw it (including my parents). Some of the big flood lamps by garages made bright rainbow rings before going out. That's asking for it.

Point being proper advice, training and targets is probably a good idea.

Last edited:
Nobody ever questioned a sling shot, or probably even saw it (including my parents). Some of the big flood lamps by garages made bright rainbow rings before going out. That's asking for it.

Point being proper advise, training and targets is probably a good idea.

I'll leave that to the parents, I'm not a gun guy, I am more of a bow guy, another deadly projectile weapon. They even make a slingshot that shoots arrows.

I'll leave that to the parents, I'm not a gun guy, I am more of a bow guy, another deadly projectile weapon. They even make a slingshot that shoots arrows.

It's not good for kids to learn about projectiles on their own. Everyone learns about projectiles one way or another, they're too neat to ignore.

Ordered two "Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifles" for two of my 10 year old grandsons, it was inspired by watching "A Christmas Story". They will be here for Christmas from their respective homes on each end of the country.

I am, however, expecting trouble from my step-daughter from California over this. I'll just have to make sure they don't shoot their eyes out.

I got my nephews a Crosman pump when they were 7 & 9. They weren't all that interested at the time. Their dad and I had a blast with it, then I think my sister hid it for a year or two. The nephews did eventually dig it, though.

I got my nephews a Crosman pump when they were 7 & 9. They weren't all that interested at the time. Their dad and I had a blast with it, then I think my sister hid it for a year or two. The nephews did eventually dig it, though.

That's the pellet gun, right? That was a great air rifle even when I was a kid and I guess they are even better now.

It's not good for kids to learn about projectiles on their own. Everyone learns about projectiles one way or another, they're too neat to ignore.

I learned about it the same way I learned about sex - on the streets.:mrgreen:

Never had a B-B gun, being a pellet-gun kid, but maybe you can re-use B-B's that you've shot into an apple but not if you've shot a can. It would be a consideration between allowance days.

Point being proper advice, training and targets is probably a good idea.

My weapon of choice on streetlights was that Crosman that Dox is talking about.

A friend of mine and I, stole his sons pellet gun used all the shot. His kid was pissed at us when he got home from school and couldnt shoot his target. You know the one that he built so he could reuse (some of) his pellets, that we ignored.

That's just flat out awesomeness, helix! I wished I had thought of that back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom