• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

They Wouldn't Bake A Cake for What???

Howard

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I don't understand why a business that's in business to make money refuses to bake any cake for any reason, but I guess if bigots and homophobes don't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding, so be it. There's lots of other bakers out there who don't care.

But a BIRTHDAY CAKE? Are you kidding me?

Not a wedding cake. A birthday cake:

It certainly wasn't the text message Candice Lowe was expecting to get on her honeymoon. She says it came from the owner of a local bakery, canceling the order for her wife's birthday cake. Lowe says, "after she saw my Facebook page, she found out that I was in a same-sex marriage and she could not do my cake." ... The couple was just married two weeks ago and are still on cloud nine after celebrating with their son, family and friends. But that all came crashing down. In some ways, they say, it's like taking two steps back. "It wasn't a wedding cake, it was just a birthday cake [for my wife, Amanda]," Candice said. "A birthday cake has nothing to do with your sexual preference."

Religious conservatives have been aggressively pushing for laws that would legalize discrimination against same-sex couples. They insist they need these hateful carve-outs—they need a special right to discriminate—because otherwise they will be compelled to participate in same-sex weddings, this is contrary to their "sincerely held religious beliefs" forbid, Jesus will have a sad, they will go to hell, etc. But it's not just our weddings they object to—it's our existence. Refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding says, "I don't think you people should be able to celebrate or solemnize your relationships because same-sex marriage is a sin." Refusing to bake a birthday cake for a lesbian says, "I don't think your birth is something to celebrate because the world would be better off if you didn't exist."

Welcome to America — where bigoted bakers do background checks to avoid selling cakes to lesbians (because Jesus) but we don't require merchants at gun shows to do background checks to avoid selling weapons of war to crazed terrorists, abusive spouses, and the mentally ill (because freedom).

Oh. I bolded the last sentence because, yeah. Really.

Muslims will get a pass Christian bakers etc will be sued out of existence.
Time to fight fire with fire and return the favor lawsuits are all these people seem to understand.

We use to live in a society where people just went their way if they couldn't do business.
Now lawyers are involved with everything.

I don't understand why a business that's in business to make money refuses to bake any cake for any reason, but I guess if bigots and homophobes don't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding, so be it. There's lots of other bakers out there who don't care.

I think any business should be allowed to refuse service anyone at anytime for any reason they choose...if they can refuse service to people w/o shoes or shirts.....anything should be allowed!

Muslims will get a pass Christian bakers etc will be sued out of existence.
Time to fight fire with fire and return the favor lawsuits are all these people seem to understand.

We use to live in a society where people just went their way if they couldn't do business.
Now lawyers are involved with everything.

Yes, the world has gone crazy....and slow death is what is happening to America. Not by guns, but by greed, ignorance, apathy and liberalism.

No business should be forced to participate in ceremonies they dont approve of, even if they are compensated.

I don't understand why a business that's in business to make money refuses to bake any cake for any reason

really? you can't possibly imagine any reason?

how about a cake that says "hitler is a hero"

still no reason? what if you were a holocaust survivor and was asked to make that cake?

still no good?

As a businessman myself,I have no problem if my competitors want to turn away customers due to their customers sexual preferences and my competitors stupid business decisions..
Just as I have no problem standing across that business handing out fliers to my restaurants stating that "we don't discriminate,unlike my competition".
Hell,I just might open up a bigger better establishment right across the street from them also.

If they end up going out of business because of their stupid business decisions,I won't shed a single tear.
In fact,Ill send them a gift basket,hire their employees,and send r my competitor a gift basket,and a generous offer for all their equiptment.
Nothing personal,it's just business.
If my competitors insists on digging their own graves,I have no problem handing them the shovel.

I think any business should be allowed to refuse service anyone at anytime for any reason they choose...if they can refuse service to people w/o shoes or shirts.....anything should be allowed!

I agree, but that is not the law.

This case is even more odd than others, though. First, it is a birthday cake, not a wedding cake. Christians and Muslims could argue making a wedding cake for a gay marriage is somehow, sort of equivalent to condoning the marriage. But this is a birthday. It has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Second, why the hell was the baker looking up the customer's Facebook profile? Unless there is more to that part of the story it seems a bit creepy on part of the baker.

really? you can't possibly imagine any reason?

how about a cake that says "hitler is a hero"

still no reason? what if you were a holocaust survivor and was asked to make that cake?

still no good?

Cupcakes for a I'M WITH HER or a TRUMP 2016 rally....can I say no to being a part of that?

I agree, but that is not the law.

This case is even more odd than others, though. First, it is a birthday cake, not a wedding cake. Christians and Muslims could argue making a wedding cake for a gay marriage is somehow, sort of equivalent to condoning the marriage. But this is a birthday. It has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Second, why the hell was the baker looking up the customer's Facebook profile? Unless there is more to that part of the story it seems a bit creepy on part of the baker.

Possibly.

Cupcakes for a I'M WITH HER or a TRUMP 2016 rally....can I say no to being a part of that?

sure...Free Country....so far.

Hawkeye10 said:
Does a baker have no choice but to sell a cake with the appropriate wording for a Genital Mutilation Party??

Enquiring minds (well this one anyways) would like to know.

Seriously.

The cases (homosexuality, genital mutilation) are distinguishable. Homosexual couples have the right to marry. Because there is a history of discrimination and prejudicial behavior against homosexuals, it is necessary to force businesses to extend them the same services as everyone else.

Genital mutilation, on the other hand, is only legal if the person is an adult who consents to the modification. Clearly, if it's a case of a party where children are forced to submit to, say, a clitorectomy, the baker should not only not bake them a cake, the baker should contact law enforcement. But even if the party is entirely legal, there is no history of discrimination and prejudicial behavior against adults who willingly undergo genital modification. Ergo, no law is necessary to protect those who make such choices.

Maybe, but if the law was applied consistently, you should not be able to. Per Elane Photography:

1) An anti-discrimination law that requires public accommodations to treat everyone equally is not considered to be "compelled speech," because it isn't the state commanding a private business to express a message the state wants to communicate.

E.g. requiring everyone in New Hampshire to have the words "Live Free or Die" on a license plate is not allowed, because in that case the state is compelling a private citizen to express its own ideological message. However, if a customer demands that a copy shop print up "Live Free or Die" flyers, the government is not determining the content of the message, thus not violating the 1st Amendment.

2) It is unlikely anyone will assume that a bakery that is making something at the request of a customer is expressing their own point of view. (E.g. if a lunatic conspiracy theorist makes copies at Kinko's, no one is going to assume the company or its employees agree with said theorist.)

3) Anti-discrimination laws rarely include exceptions for creative or expressive industries.

http://www.adfmedia.org/files/elanephotonmscopinion.pdf

The cases (homosexuality, genital mutilation) are distinguishable. Homosexual couples have the right to marry. Because there is a history of discrimination and prejudicial behavior against homosexuals, it is necessary to force businesses to extend them the same services as everyone else.

Genital mutilation, on the other hand, is only legal if the person is an adult who consents to the modification. Clearly, if it's a case of a party where children are forced to submit to, say, a clitorectomy, the baker should not only not bake them a cake, the baker should contact law enforcement. But even if the party is entirely legal, there is no history of discrimination and prejudicial behavior against adults who willingly undergo genital modification. Ergo, no law is necessary to protect those who make such choices.

I suppose you are right.

And even if your are not clearly the threat of blackmail would work to shoo them away.

Back
Top Bottom