• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

They Are At It Again Philly and CNN Won't Show it

Sad you can think of no other option than deadly force.
Someone is rushing at you with a knife, what options do you think you legitimately have? Is your life worth so little to you that you’d let this guy stab you multiple times?

Why do people call the cops to deal with mental health issues at all?
"People" don't call the police to deal with mental health issues. They call the mental health professionals. And the mental health professionals call the police to protect them from a violet intervention.

This could be the black ghetto riot that gets Trump re elected. Whoever wins the next election, I want laws passed to crush black ghetto riots as quickly as possible and as violently as necessary.

Characteristics that enabled the ancestors of Negroes to thrive in the tribal environment of sub Saharan Africa learn for them many of them felony convictions in civilized countries. A criminal justice system that is effective for the two civilized races is insufficiently harsh for Negroes. Before the civil rights movement that was understood in the United States, and especially in the South. That is why, when a black man and a white man committed the same crime, the black man got more punishment.
Hi bye. Hatemonger. Ignore.

"People" don't call the police to deal with mental health issues. They call the mental health professionals. And the mental health professionals call the police to protect them from a violet intervention.
So should we be protesting mental health professionals? Why do they send men with no training and guns to deal with mental health issues?

Someone is rushing at you with a knife, what options do you think you legitimately have? Is your life worth so little to you that you’d let this guy stab you multiple times?
Run? Is that a choice?
I'm basically speaking of how the police handle a situation like the knife wielder. How many police departments are in america, how many cops? Are you trying to say that all of that law enforcement haven't been able to come up with anything beside using deadly force? If so, that is some special kind of stupid.

Run? Is that a choice?
I'm basically speaking of how the police handle a situation like the knife wielder. How many police departments are in america, how many cops? Are you trying to say that all of that law enforcement haven't been able to come up with anything beside using deadly force? If so, that is some special kind of stupid.
Sure the cops could run away, I suppose, but then anyone else around would be left unprotected. I can imagine what your response would be if the cops had run away and other people were stabbed to death.

The only reasonable response at present to lethal force is lethal force. None of the non-lethal methods are reliable enough or can be deployed quickly enough. Maybe a better solution will be developed, but right now it doesn’t exist.

Sure the cops could run away, I suppose, but then anyone else around would be left unprotected. I can imagine what your response would be if the cops had run away and other people were stabbed to death.

The only reasonable response at present to lethal force is lethal force. None of the non-lethal methods are reliable enough or can be deployed quickly enough. Maybe a better solution will be developed, but right now it doesn’t exist.
You are changing the story. You asked what would I do, not what should the cops do.

You are changing the story. You asked what would I do, not what should the cops do.
No, the story has always been the cop’s actions. Asking what you would do is just to gauge what you think they should do.
So since you want to play semantics games, let’s try this. What do you think the cops should have done in the situation they were presented with?

No, the story has always been the cop’s actions. Asking what you would do is just to gauge what you think they should do.
So since you want to play semantics games, let’s try this. What do you think the cops should have done in the situation they were presented with?
Maybe you should have asked me what should the cops have done but you didn't, you asked what I would do. Again all I can say is if the cops can't figure out how to handle a situation without shooting people first and asking questions later, the cops are out of control.

Maybe you should have asked me what should the cops have done but you didn't, you asked what I would do. Again all I can say is if the cops can't figure out how to handle a situation without shooting people first and asking questions later, the cops are out of control.
I figured you wouldn’t answer the question. Have a nice day.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil

cropped-see-no-evil-hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil21.jpg

I figured you wouldn’t answer the question. Have a nice day.
See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil

cropped-see-no-evil-hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil21.jpg
When it takes 1.4 seconds for a perp to get to you from 15 feet, and it takes 1.2 seconds to deploy your weapon, that leaves no margin for discussion. If he gts to you and cuts your artery, you are probably dead. If you've never handled weapons or dealt with a guy charging you with a knife, you are Monday morning quarterbacking. Nothing more. If you think you should shoot a guy charging at you in the leg, I'd like to see the odds of hitting a narrow area like a leg while a guy is running at you from an angle. I think people watch too many old westerns or the fake hero movies.

So should we be protesting mental health professionals? Why do they send men with no training and guns to deal with mental health issues?
Because a mental health professional would have been stabbed and died from this fool with a knife.

Sad you can think of no other option than deadly force.

It is sadder that you sympathize with black ghetto rioters.

Wait until someone runs at you with a knife, and see how you feel. I do not think a social worker would be of much help in a situation like that.

When it takes 1.4 seconds for a perp to get to you from 15 feet, and it takes 1.2 seconds to deploy your weapon, that leaves no margin for discussion. If he gts to you and cuts your artery, you are probably dead. If you've never handled weapons or dealt with a guy charging you with a knife, you are Monday morning quarterbacking. Nothing more. If you think you should shoot a guy charging at you in the leg, I'd like to see the odds of hitting a narrow area like a leg while a guy is running at you from an angle. I think people watch too many old westerns or the fake hero movies.
And I think some people have a very little regard for human life. You guys cry a river about a fetus but actual living breathing human beings, not so much.

It is sadder that you sympathize with black ghetto rioters.

Wait until someone runs at you with a knife, and see how you feel. I do not think a social worker would be of much help in a situation like that.
I've been stabbed twice.

And I think some people have a very little regard for human life. You guys cry a river about a fetus but actual living breathing human beings, not so much.

I do not pretend to be pro life. I am opposed to Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) I am in favor of free abortion on demand at any stage of pregnancy. I am in favor of the frequent use of capital punishment, and a much larger number of decades' long prison sentences at hard labor, enforced by the whip.

I think there are too many people on this planet. Too many are the wrong kind of people. That is why I am in favor of eugenics.

That's good because neither was there.

I do not know what the specifics of your situation are. I am sorry you were stabbed twice. A policeman would have prevented that.

I have been mugged six times, twice on the same night when I was nearly murdered. I was also robbed at gun point. Blacks did it every time. I wish they had been aborted.

Imagine calling people with guns to help save you from a guy with a knife and NOT expecting them to show up with guns drawn!?

Or calling a complete random stranger for help with your mentally ill family member and then being disappointed when they can't calm them down any better than you can.
Is that what you would do when a family member is having a mental health episode? Ask for cops with guns? That woman chasing the Wallace around the car was his mother. She wasn't armed. She wasn't in fear of her life. She was trying to save her son's life because there were cops there with their guns drawn shouting at him. There was no else being threatened by him. For better or worse because this country has largely abandoned funding the treatment of the mentally ill and the police for better or worse have become the default first responders to mental health crisis calls. And most of them aren't adequately prepared and trained to deal with them. They get many, many more hours in firearms training than they get on dealing with people mental health issues. Even though they will almost certainly deal with many more people who are in mental crisis than they will with people who are violent criminals committing violent acts in the course of their law enforcement careers. Whether they're policing in urban, suburban or rural areas. Numbering fewer than 1 in 50 U.S. adults, individuals with untreated severe mental illness are involved in at least 1 in 4 and as many as half of all fatal police shootings. They're 16 times more likely to be killed by law enforcement. And contrary to popular belief most mentally ill people are not violent. In fact they are far more likely to be a victims of crime, not perpetuate them.

When I saw some the descriptions of Mr Wallace's persona, such as being a talented musician and aspiring artist, but also someone who has been dealing with mental health and behavioral problems from a young age. I immediately thought to myself he was bipolar. Because he reminded me immediately of my bipolar stepson. Bipolar people often have this very creative side to them for some reason. Turns out my instincts were correct. And let me tell you bipolar is something that is not easy to deal with, for the afflicted person and for those close to that person. And for a long time we feared that he would end up being in prison or institutionalized for most of his adult life, or that one day the police would come to our door to tell us that he was dead. I'm happy to say that he's doing much better now. He now has a very successful business, nice house, and family, and we are now very close. He regards me as being his father. He has tried to explain what was happening within him when these episodes would spike one way or the other. Because that's what bipolar is. These wild mood swings, from high to low, and I mean from very high, to very low, with often not much else in between. And actually sometimes the peaks and valleys could be equally destructive, or deconstructive. He talked of how in the midst of a manic episode the thoughts would just come racing in, faster and faster, and louder and louder, like being in a tunnel with tons of noisy traffic, or a train roaring past, there doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off. Like you're hooked up to a high energy electric current that you can't let go of and you just want to get away. I can't say that I fully understand. The only way I suppose one would be able to would be to literally be in his shoes. But I did come to understand there was a certain way we would have to talk to him, certain tones of voice and postures to adopt, and certain things you do, and don't do with him, or around him. When he was in the midst of an manic episode to avoid having it escalate even further. Practically everything those cops in Philadelphia did from moment they arrived was wrong and only served to escalate the crisis. This young man didn't have to die.

Is that what you would do when a family member is having a mental health episode? Ask for cops with guns? That woman chasing the Wallace around the car was his mother. She wasn't armed. She wasn't in fear of her life. She was trying to save her son's life because there were cops there with their guns drawn shouting at him. There was no else being threatened by him. For better or worse because this country has largely abandoned funding the treatment of the mentally ill and the police for better or worse have become the default first responders to mental health crisis calls. And most of them aren't adequately prepared and trained to deal with them. They get many, many more hours in firearms training than they get on dealing with people mental health issues. Even though they will almost certainly deal with many more people who are in mental crisis than they will with people who are violent criminals committing violent acts in the course of their law enforcement careers. Whether they're policing in urban, suburban or rural areas. Numbering fewer than 1 in 50 U.S. adults, individuals with untreated severe mental illness are involved in at least 1 in 4 and as many as half of all fatal police shootings. They're 16 times more likely to be killed by law enforcement. And contrary to popular belief most mentally ill people are not violent. In fact they are far more likely to be a victims of crime, not perpetuate them.

When I saw some the descriptions of Mr Wallace's persona, such as being a talented musician and aspiring artist, but also someone who has been dealing with mental health and behavioral problems from a young age. I immediately thought to myself he was bipolar. Because he reminded me immediately of my bipolar stepson. Bipolar people often have this very creative side to them for some reason. Turns out my instincts were correct. And let me tell you bipolar is something that is not easy to deal with, for the afflicted person and for those close to that person. And for a long time we feared that he would end up being in prison or institutionalized for most of his adult life, or that one day the police would come to our door to tell us that he was dead. I'm happy to say that he's doing much better now. He now has a very successful business, nice house, and family, and we are now very close. He regards me as being his father. He has tried to explain what was happening within him when these episodes would spike one way or the other. Because that's what bipolar is. These wild mood swings, from high to low, and I mean from very high, to very low, with often not much else in between. And actually sometimes the peaks and valleys could be equally destructive, or deconstructive. He talked of how in the midst of a manic episode the thoughts would just come racing in, faster and faster, and louder and louder, like being in a tunnel with tons of noisy traffic, or a train roaring past, there doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off. Like you're hooked up to a high energy electric current that you can't let go of and you just want to get away. I can't say that I fully understand. The only way I suppose one would be able to would be to literally be in his shoes. But I did come to understand there was a certain way we would have to talk to him, certain tones of voice and postures to adopt, and certain things you do, and don't do with him, or around him. When he was in the midst of an manic episode to avoid having it escalate even further. Practically everything those cops in Philadelphia did from moment they arrived was wrong and only served to escalate the crisis. This young man didn't have to die.
Hey, don't ask me. I did not call the cops in him. If his family called the cops on him, they could be questioned as to why they would do that. Seems silly.

Back
Top Bottom