• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

They Are At It Again Philly and CNN Won't Show it

They having a budget crunch?

I have no idea, but they did have body cameras. This was all I found in the CNN source:

Outrage over the shooting in West Philadelphia set off protests by demonstrators wanting to know why less-lethal force wasn't used; the officers were not equipped with Tasers.

I have no idea, but they did have body cameras. This was all I found in the CNN source:
Looks like a PD needs to get some less lethal means of dealing with people, especially ones with mental health issues.

My take is that it counters the idea that most blacks are victims and that the police (rather than local businesses) are the targets of their “unrest”. Not one victim of those 97 arrested was even interviewed, much less had the results of that “unrest” shown to the general public. The attempt was to show that police killed a poor mentally ill black man right in front of his mother without just cause - which is precisely what triggers such “unrest”.
That does seem disproportionate and from what I've read "so far" the cops probably had justification.

OTOH, since so many of the violent arrestees are likely actual criminals...interviews arent that likely. How many interviews have you seen from any of the rioters/violent arrestees from any of the riots? I've seen none I can think of. Because they are wrong and know it. And dont want publicity.

Getting thru those 97 to find some that arent criminals? That would be tough...and it's tough to justify violence on this stuff period IMO. I dont see it at all.

One lucky Biden supporter rolled home a new washing machine. I mean, how many 75 inch tvs do ya need, after all?

Article said they didnt have tasers.
Yes, ttwwtt told me. I did not realize a major city PD would be so cheap that they did do not provide their officers with better non-lethal methods than shooting people.

That does seem disproportionate and from what I've read "so far" the cops probably had justification.

OTOH, since so many of the violent arrestees are likely actual criminals...interviews arent that likely. How many interviews have you seen from any of the rioters/violent arrestees from any of the riots? I've seen none I can think of. Because they are wrong and know it. And dont want publicity.

Getting thru those 97 to find some that arent criminals? That would be tough...and it's tough to justify violence on this stuff period IMO. I dont see it at all.

I never advocated interviewing the arrested alleged perps - I advocated interviewing the victims and showing the rioting, looting and arson (either live or the resulting damage).

Yes, ttwwtt told me. I did not realize a major city PD would be so cheap that they did do not provide their officers with better non-lethal methods than shooting people.
IMO there should be a lot higher penalties for when the body cams "arent turned on."

I never advocated interviewing the arrested alleged perps - I advocated interviewing the victims and showing the rioting, looting and arson (either live or the resulting damage).
The victims? Of the damaged businesses or injured people?

Cuz that doesnt seem to change from riot to riot. What did you expect to hear from the victims?

The victims? Of the damaged businesses or injured people?

Cuz that doesnt seem to change from riot to riot. What did you expect to hear from the victims?

Perhaps, the opposite of a plea to defund the police.

Perhaps, the opposite of a plea to defund the police.
I've heard that from many businesses and people. Here, Portland, other places.

That applies to the rioting IMO, but not the possible abuse of police authority in the triggering event.

"Victims" are not disproportionately black if you actually calculate a relevant proportion, i.e., one related to relative violent crime and/or murder rates, as opposed to merely existing.

He didn't have a slingshot. He had a knife.

That being said, look how Goliath faired after getting hit with a slingshot.

If shooting someone in the leg were such a great idea, cops would already be doing it. Shooting someone in the leg isn't some great knew idea that someone dreamed up in the past few years. Did you ever see Lethal Weapon?

They didn't panic. They did what they were trained to do. If you were in that scenario, you would do the same thing.

You are kidding right? It looked like they were shooting a zombie in Walking Dead. It's a wonder that no one else was shot.

I've heard that from many businesses and people. Here, Portland, other places.

That applies to the rioting IMO, but not the possible abuse of police authority in the triggering event.

How does destroying private business establishments help to prevent possible police abuse? The “triggering event” appears to be self defense from an approaching armed and dangerous person who the police were called to stop. It’s not as if the police had selected this violent and armed nut at random for their special attention and snuck up on him.

How does destroying private business establishments help to prevent possible police abuse? The “triggering event” appears to be self defense from an approaching armed and dangerous person who the police were called to stop. It’s not as if the police had selected this violent and armed nut at random for their special attention and snuck up on him.
I understand all your statements. People have been asking these same questions since May 25th. And the answers are not black and white (no pun intended).

However the parallels in events, reactions (police, public, peaceful protesters, violent rioters) seem to be the same.

And they dont seem to have changed in 6 months. Who do you think should create change? Police Depts? Legislatures? Community leadership like mayors? Ours is trying and they're on their 2nd attempt to have her recalled. I sure hope you dont believe the change will come from the protesters?...Their purpose is to demand change....they dont have the power to enact it.

Correction: "mostly peaceful" is the preferred term, now.
"Peaceful, but fiery protest" works as well, as long it is not your business or home on fire. Unfortunately, it is often the businesses of minorities in minority neighborhoods that are burned and looted.

I understand all your statements. People have been asking these same questions since May 25th. And the answers are not black and white (no pun intended).

However the parallels in events, reactions (police, public, peaceful protesters, violent rioters) seem to be the same.

And they dont seem to have changed in 6 months. Who do you think should create change? Police Depts? Legislatures? Community leadership like mayors? Ours is trying and they're on their 2nd attempt to have her recalled. I sure hope you dont believe the change will come from the protesters?...Their purpose is to demand change....they dont have the power to enact it.

Here is a novel idea - hold any criminal (state employed or otherwise) personally responsible for their criminal actions. If you feel that someone else ordered a police officer to kill or injure someone then charge them with that crime as well.

Here is a novel idea - hold any criminal (state employed or otherwise) personally responsible for their criminal actions. If you feel that someone else ordered a police officer to kill or injure someone then charge them with that crime as well.
We have seen the results of that. In most cases, the cops walk. In the Breonna Taylor case, we now find out that they werent even allowed to consider homicide charges and yet felt the cops were at the least, negligent.

We have yet to see the outcome of the George Floyd case. When the deaths keep a'comin and no change is happening...what are your expectations?

I believe many criminals and male losers (both sides of the political fence) are taking advantage and committing violence. But the protestors? I've not seen them get much satisfaction or real answers yet.

Black guy with a knife, shoot his ass. White guy who just killed two and is walking down the street with his rifle around his neck, nothing, zero response by the cops even when he stood next to a cop car with his rifle.

Nah, there is no systemic racism in america.

Two completely different sets of circumstances. The family of the Black guy with the knife had twice previously called the police out to deal with the a-hole making threats. On the 3rd call out the a hole with the knife didn't follow commands and threatened the police. Good riddance!

They are burning and clowns are loading carts stealing again. Why does CNN ony mention it and not show the police assaults and hundreds of looting clowns?
Of coursr not

They are burning and clowns are loading carts stealing again. Why does CNN ony mention it and not show the police assaults and hundreds of looting clowns?
Guy came at the cops with a knife. It's just an excuse to loot. Report said the cops had been called out 30 times in the last couple of months and 3 times that day. Some things are tragic but almost unavoidable.

Can you find in their report where the black man was attacking them with a knife? I may have missed it.
The knife wielding "peaceful protester" was within 10 ft of the officers. It takes 1.4 seconds to traverse 15 feet. He is an imminent threat. A knife can be a more deadly weapon than a gun at short range. (Imagine a slashing wound through your aorta or other major artery.) The video indicates that he was told very forcefully and loudly to put the knife down. ("The only unarmed man is a man with no arms...but then there is the story about a man with no arms who kicked an adversary to death." )

But, of course burning down the neighborhood will fix everything; and the fact that CNN plays down the violence gives you a pretty good idea that BLM and antifa types, and their progressive apologists and liberal local politicians, are complicit in the violence.

What? The cops shot another black person full of holes again? Heck, seems like they can't get enough of that shit. Pandemic or no pandemic.

Walter Wallace had a long criminal record. It cannot be said that he was a credit to his race. Unfortunately, it cannot be said that he was atypical of his race.

Back
Top Bottom