• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

These Journalists Spent Two Years and $750,000 Covering One Story

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The profit motives of big pharma goes without saying at the cost of human lives.
In recent weeks, ProPublica has published a major—and scathing—investigative series on the dangers of Tylenol's main active ingredient, acetaminophen. Two years in the making, this series shows yet again the essential role of investigative journalism in providing public information that can literally save lives.
On the chance that the impact of the revelations has already been overtaken by other news, here again is the gist of the stories. Tylenol’s marketing has long emphasized its safety. Among the more memorable of its advertisements was that Tylenol was the pain reliever "hospitals use most" and packages asserted that the pills provided "safe, fast pain relief." It turns out that these claims were dangerously misleading, and were known to be so by both the pharmaceutical manufacturer and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. To expand the reach of its findings to millions of radio listeners, ProPublica, brought in public radio's This American Life as a collaborator which incisively summarized ProPublica’s evidence of the dangers of acetaminophen. "During the last decade," the first ProPublica piece begins, "more than 1,500 Americans died after taking too much of a drug renowned for its safety.” Moreover, the series and broadcast showed that the FDA has known for decades about the scale of the problem, but has failed to fully implement a succession of recommendations and warnings.
These Journalists Spent Two Years and $750,000 Covering One Story - Peter Osnos - The Atlantic

"During the last decade," the first ProPublica piece begins, "more than 1,500 Americans died after taking too much of a drug renowned for its safety.” Moreover, the series and broadcast showed that the FDA has known for decades about the scale of the problem, but has failed to fully implement a succession of recommendations and warnings.

Frankly, if you take too much of virtually anything, it will kill you.

Frankly, if you take too much of virtually anything, it will kill you.

That's right and too much of profiteering by big pharma will kill millions.

That's right and too much of profiteering by big pharma will kill millions.

Ummmm, big pharma isn't forcing anyone to overdose on Tylenol. They produce a product, and if the demand is there, then they profit. If people didn't demand it, it would cease to exist. Anyone who can't read the package directions probably shouldn't be taking any drug.

Ummmm, big pharma isn't forcing anyone to overdose on Tylenol. They produce a product, and if the demand is there, then they profit. If people didn't demand it, it would cease to exist. Anyone who can't read the package directions probably shouldn't be taking any drug.

Not convincing enough. Explore further will ya!

The profit motives of big pharma goes without saying at the cost of human lives. These Journalists Spent Two Years and $750,000 Covering One Story - Peter Osnos - The Atlantic

I will not read 40 year old news....
They could have paid me that money and saved 1 year 364 days and 23 hours. This news is so old its antiquated info. I've known since about 1971 that too much tylenol could kill someone. I am unsure any additional responsibility needs to be assumed by the FDA or J & J ( if they still own Tylenol ).

This may be only another journalistic hack job leading people to believe the gov. needs to save us from ourselves because a few people do not follow instructions. In my life I've seen too much of this B.S. to put any stock in the supposed catastrophic report.

Walk softly and wear hip waders

Thom Paine

I will not read 40 year old news....
They could have paid me that money and saved 1 year 364 days and 23 hours. This news is so old its antiquated info. I've known since about 1971 that too much tylenol could kill someone. I am unsure any additional responsibility needs to be assumed by the FDA or J & J ( if they still own Tylenol ).

This may be only another journalistic hack job leading people to believe the gov. needs to save us from ourselves because a few people do not follow instructions. In my life I've seen too much of this B.S. to put any stock in the supposed catastrophic report.

Walk softly and wear hip waders

Thom Paine

That's pretty good opinion.

Big pharma is a big problem in this country. They have both political parties in their pockets.

The reason that Medicare Part D (the prescription coverage that Bush added) has the provision that the govt can't negotiate discounted prices for drugs....big pharma's influence with BOTH political parties. One of the cosponsers of Part D, Senator Breaux of Lousiana, left Congress and went to work for big pharm with a salary of $1 million /year, after Part D was passed. I also believe the reason AG Holder has gone after marijuana growers & sellers, even the medical marijuana sellers in states where it's legal - in the middle of a recession with all sorts of huge problems going on, and he uses his resources for that - is big pharma. Big pharma is of course against medical marijuana. It can't be patented in the form in which it's sold now.

Big pharma is scary. They have a hold on our country that is shocking.

Back
Top Bottom