• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

These cities offer the highest quality of life on earth

I've seen lists like this before and it seems like Vienna always wins. I've never been there... for those of you who have, any thoughts on why? What's it like there?

An interesting list. I have lived in a number of the cities and wonder how the index is built to come up with that ranking.

As have I. When I was there I thought they were all overcrowded coal stench rat holes.

While I would completely agree that any of the Auzzie or NZ places would be nice, you are still living close to China -- too close.

And while Switzerland is a lovely little land locked fortress, it gets really cold there during the winters.

Here is my list of the best cities:

1 - Fort Lauderdale

2 - Tampa

3 - Kona

4 - Galveston

5 - Austin

6 - Flagstaff

7 - San Diego

8 - Portland OR

9 - Portland ME

10 - Denver.

As have I. When I was there I thought they were all overcrowded coal stench rat holes.

While I would completely agree that any of the Auzzie or NZ places would be nice, you are still living close to China -- too close.

And while Switzerland is a lovely little land locked fortress, it gets really cold there during the winters.

1 - Fort Lauderdale

2 - Tampa

3 - Kona

4 - Galveston

5 - Austin

6 - Flagstaff

7 - San Diego

8 - Portland OR

9 - Portland ME

10 - Denver.

That's how I know it's a joke list. Austin is actually a pretty crappy place to live and it has little to do with its politics. The traffic is horrible, it was designed so poorly that the engineer who designed it committed suicide. It's a state capital which means you have all the lobbyist BS, it's a college city so have have all the issues that comes with. It does have good restaurants though. Austin is a great place to visit horrible place to live.

~ Perhaps the biggest surprise here is that no American cities made the top 25

Most wealthy Americans probably move out of the city and into the suburbs. Just my speculation.

I've seen lists like this before and it seems like Vienna always wins. I've never been there... for those of you who have, any thoughts on why? What's it like there?

Very high standard of living, amazing architecture - history and culture everywhere but then it also flirts very seriously with its nazi links.

I would visit before the Freedom Party takes more serious hold.

That's how I know it's a joke list. Austin is actually a pretty crappy place to live and it has little to do with its politics. The traffic is horrible, it was designed so poorly that the engineer who designed it committed suicide. It's a state capital which means you have all the lobbyist BS, it's a college city so have have all the issues that comes with. It does have good restaurants though. Austin is a great place to visit horrible place to live.

San Antonio would probably have been a better choice than Austin.

San Antonio would probably have been a better choice than Austin.

SA is ok if you speak spanish. I prefer Ft Worth, small town style with all the big metroplex amenities

If these cities are so great, then why do the residents of them flock to warmer cheaper places once they reach retirement age

If these cities are so great, then why do the residents of them flock to warmer cheaper places once they reach retirement age

You answered your own question there.... it is in the "warmer" part mostly.. You see when you get older, you get this called arthritis and other "old age" disease, who all are mitigated some what by... warmth.

1 - Fort Lauderdale

2 - Tampa

3 - Kona

4 - Galveston

5 - Austin

6 - Flagstaff

7 - San Diego

8 - Portland OR

9 - Portland ME

10 - Denver.

I would have Melbourne, FL as number 1 and Ft Liquordale as number 2.

Ft Liquordale is the best sin city I have ever lived.
Good food,
nice beaches,
$40 a throw hookers,
and at least 10 bars in a two mile radius no matter where you are.

But rents are pretty high and you have to have first AND last months rent + deposit. Must be a New York thing that got moved there, as everyone there is originally from the northeast.

The list, as usual, is basically divided between Europe/Australia-NZ/Canada, which is what I've come to expect from these lists. It's as if they purposely go out of their way to pump up Europe at the expense of the US, regardless the subject. And I'd just say that I wouldn't live in any of those European cities, particularly the German ones, considering the roiling racism and refugee issues that are percolating there and throughout much of Europe these days. I'm glad we're separated by two huge oceans from most of the trouble spots of the world.

I wonder how many of those cities have liberal governments? I mean, liberal civic government being the kiss of death and all...
Vancouver, for one, has a city government that would give any American conservative an attack of the vapours.

These lists are generally made with expats in mind. In other words, wealthy CEOs and their families. All of those cities are relatively clean, safe, family friendly cities. But, man, do you have to have a big, fat bank account to live in any of them. Vienna is no exception. As for why it beat all the other ones, I have no clue. As an expat brat myself, I would put any of the Canadian cities in the top spot. And no it's not because I'm Canadian..... I swear!!

The list, as usual, is basically divided between Europe/Australia-NZ/Canada, which is what I've come to expect from these lists. It's as if they purposely go out of their way to pump up Europe at the expense of the US, regardless the subject. And I'd just say that I wouldn't live in any of those European cities, particularly the German ones, considering the roiling racism and refugee issues that are percolating there and throughout much of Europe these days. I'm glad we're separated by two huge oceans from most of the trouble spots of the world.

A history of North America will reveal just that. Most Europeans came to North America to get the hell out of Europe completely and start anew.

They are still resented for that action...hence this silly list.

I love our two oceans. It is a bad thing when a despot can WALK to your country without needing a strong Navy to get them there.

If they try, our combined submarine fleets will lay them waste 5nm after they clear the breakwater.

Actually this is the first I've seen that doesn't have Vancouver at the top. Vienna is very beautiful, clean, but costs are higher than Vancouver, Hong Kong and Toronto. I don't know why it is there. They have Auckland second which makes me question the validity of their considerations for "livable".

But, Vienna is one of the most Liberal cities, along with Australian and Canadian cities, and you will see four Canadian cities in there

An interesting list. I have lived in a number of the cities and wonder how the index is built to come up with that ranking.

Pretty much all such rankings are opinion based. And you know what they say about opinions and assholes...

Ive lived in 3 of the citie son the list and spent a lot of time in a 4th.
I do not agree with the ordering they gave them, though they are all great cities

The list, as usual, is basically divided between Europe/Australia-NZ/Canada, which is what I've come to expect from these lists.
These lists are generally made with expats in mind.
Pretty much all such rankings are opinion based. And you know what they say about opinions and assholes...

Arcana hit it. These lists are made for expats. Basically where you--as a person who tends to skew wealthy/retire--would find both safe and enjoyable to reside.
Here's the criteria considered by Mercer:

Living conditions are analyzed according to 39 factors, grouped in 10 categories:

1. Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement, etc.).
2. Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services).
3. Socio-cultural environment (media availability and censorship, limitations on personal freedom).
4. Medical and health considerations (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc.).
5. Schools and education (standards and availability of international schools).
6. Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transportation, traffic congestion, etc.).
7. Recreation (restaurants, theatres, cinemas, sports and leisure, etc.).
8. Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc.).
9. Housing (rental housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services).
10. Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters).

The scores attributed to each factor, which are weighted to reflect their importance to expatriates, permit objective city-to-city comparisons.
The result is a quality of living index that compares relative differences between any two locations evaluated.

Back
Top Bottom