• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

These are just creepy robots.

Enola

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
You Won't Believe How Incredibly Creepy These Robots Are

Meet Otonaroid and Kodomoroid, two eerily lifelike robots who can read fluently, recite tongue twisters, blink, move and twitch their eyebrows (natch).
Japanese android expert Hiroshi Ishiguro unveiled the female cyborgs on Tuesday at the National Museum of Merging Science and Innovation. The two will be on display at the Museum for visitors to interact with.

Can anyone say Terminator in Japanese? Who would want one of these things???

Meet Otonaroid and Kodomoroid, two eerily lifelike robots who can read fluently, recite tongue twisters, blink, move and twitch their eyebrows (natch).
Japanese android expert Hiroshi Ishiguro unveiled the female cyborgs on Tuesday at the National Museum of Merging Science and Innovation. The two will be on display at the Museum for visitors to interact with.

They just look like Japanese versions of Disney animatronics. :shrug:

Creepy?
Not really.

This is more creepy.

This one is just creepy in a funny way because of the mouth.

Uncanny valley is about to be crossed.

They just look like Japanese versions of Disney animatronics. :shrug:

Hearing Yo Ho Yo Ho This Is The Life For Me while in a boat isn't as creepy as those robots above.

What is Japan's obsession with androids and animatronics?

Anyway... it seems like pretty nifty work, but they need to put more effort into making the mouths and faces conform to the words being spoken, otherwise it just looks flat.

they jsut need to get out of the uncanny valley is all

When they can make beds, fold and put away laundry, empty the dishwasher, give flash news briefings and stock quotes, give us a weather forecast and wash floors? Everybody'll want one.

When they can make beds, fold and put away laundry, empty the dishwasher, give flash news briefings and stock quotes, give us a weather forecast and wash floors? Everybody'll want one.

At that point, they'll probably take all of our jobs, too.

That Sophia robot IS creepy. She looks like a younger version of Hillary Clinton. :eek:

At that point, they'll probably take all of our jobs, too.

It's coming, and not just for ditch diggers and burger flippers. Engineers and ad executives are replaceable too...

What is Japan's obsession with androids and animatronics?

Anyway... it seems like pretty nifty work, but they need to put more effort into making the mouths and faces conform to the words being spoken, otherwise it just looks flat.

The Japanese society have a real demographics problem on the near term horizon.

Simply put, the Japanese people aren't reproducing in sufficient numbers to replace the people who are retiring out of the workforce and / or coming to the end of their lives. Not enough people to take care of the elderly and their health and assistance needs.

It would make sense for the Japanese to build these robots to address the need and demand for workforce.

The Japanese society have a real demographics problem on the near term horizon.

Simply put, the Japanese people aren't reproducing in sufficient numbers to replace the people who are retiring out of the workforce and / or coming to the end of their lives. Not enough people to take care of the elderly and their health and assistance needs.

It would make sense for the Japanese to build these robots to address the need and demand for workforce.

Are you sure that's the real reason? It's doubtful that there will be competent robots to serve people by the time the baby boomers retire in full force. Many already are.

Are you sure that's the real reason? It's doubtful that there will be competent robots to serve people by the time the baby boomers retire in full force. Many already are.

I'll admit that I'm just guessing, but it would seem to add up to some extent. Do you know more details? Why do the Japanese seem to have this drive for anthropomorphic robots?

I'll admit that I'm just guessing, but it would seem to add up to some extent. Do you know more details? Why do the Japanese seem to have this drive for anthropomorphic robots?

Yeah I'm not sure either, your guess is as good as mine. Might have something to do with pop culture and anime!

Yeah I'm not sure either, your guess is as good as mine. Might have something to do with pop culture and anime!

Hey, I'm no expert either, but was trying to postulate a hypothesis. I won't discount that it might be pop culture and anime related.

I hope that someone who knows more might chime in and let us all know.

Back
Top Bottom