• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

#therising. DNC. Powerful. Bruce Springsteen. THAT is America.

That was good. It was a message of hope and unity, something that's at near extinction levels right now.

That was good. It was a message of hope and unity, something that's at near extinction levels right now.

we literally NEVER hear that kind of message from Trump Republicanism. at least not with that variety of Americans.

Watching a little of the convention and I’m wondering why this sudden concern for “unity.” Frankly, Dems only support unity if they feel it would benefit them.

We The People — Save Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid — Save the USPS to save our Veterans, Elderly, and Rural Folks — Save Our Farms from Stupid Tariffs that have bankrupted our loyal farmers — Save Our Environment —

Save Our Economy by Solving COVID by Listening to Real Doctors, not Dr. My Pillow — Know who your Foreign Friends really are — No more Helsinki's — No more selling out our Kurdish Friends to the Ethnic Cleansers erDOGan and Putin —

We The People — Save Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid — Save the USPS to save our Veterans, Elderly, and Rural Folks — Save Our Farms from Stupid Tariffs that have bankrupted our loyal farmers — Save Our Environment —

Save Our Economy by Solving COVID by Listening to Real Doctors, not Dr. My Pillow — Know who your Foreign Friends really are — No more Helsinki's — No more selling out our Kurdish Friends to the Ethnic Cleansers erDOGan and Putin —

such a good post.

Man, what a bunch of crap! These Dems are complete frauds! E Pluribus Unum? Shared values, complete with a Christian minister invoking Jesus? What happened to upholding diversity, as in equal time for the Jews, Muslims, and atheists? :lol:

Watching a little of the convention and I’m wondering why this sudden concern for “unity.” Frankly, Dems only support unity if they feel it would benefit them.

Back in high school, I read one of Stephen King's last truly good books, Needful Things. Leland Gaunt comes to a small town in Maine and sets up a shop called....you guessed it...Needful Things...a curioso shop specializing in highly niche items that specific patrons emotionally and desperately need.

The only catch is that Leland gaunt is a demon, or a wraith...perhaps even the devil himself. Who knows. It's never really revealed and it's probably not important. He uses the items he sells his patrons to turn the town folk against each other to the point where all they want is to see each other dead. The hero drives Gaunt from the town and...I suppose...the town's people can start healing, though of course everybody knows that nothing can ever go back to the way it was.

Trump is definitely Leland Gaunt, and my fantasy is that when he's driven from our town, we can wake up, look at each other, and think, holy crap, we came *this close* to completely annihilating each other.

Yes, Needful Things is a simple fiction, but it's a mistake to think it's not a useful parable.

Last edited:
Man, what a bunch of crap! These Dems are complete frauds! E Pluribus Unum? Shared values, complete with a Christian minister invoking Jesus? What happened to upholding diversity, as in equal time for the Jews, Muslims, and atheists? :lol:

yeah, that one video should piss off a ton of Republicans, Trump foot soldiers, White Supremacists, old men, Southerners and Confederates. not all but a ton.

I understand it’s, basically, lip service.

you need for it to be.

but i don't think many people are gonna miss the irony of your post as a Trump voter.

https://twitter.com/guycecil/status/1295532008676954112?s=20

Powerful, powerful opening to the DNC. Just watch it ^ . #DemConvention #DNC2020

A Trump supporter acquaintance of mine just said:

"Oh big deal, Biden managed to get washed up has-been rocker Bruce Springsteen.
Who didn't see that coming? Trump has The Nuge! What's the difference between two has-beens?"

The difference is simple:

Ted Nugent's an asshole, he revels in being an asshole, he's always been celebrated for being an asshole and he's a bigger asshole now that he's entirely irrelevant than he ever was.
Springsteen is a kind and generous man who believes in simple human dignity and decency, he's always been celebrated for his devotion to dignity and decency and he's even more dignified and decent in the autumn of his career than he ever has been, and unlike Nugent, his career isn't over either.

So, to see it through the lens of musician endorsements, do we dream of an America the Empire of Assholes or do we envision an America that preserves dignity and decency.
I think four years of the Empire of Assholes has been enough to last everyone a lifetime.

Identity politics is ANTI-unity. I wanted to vomit when they kept trumpeting that "unity" theme. Unity for them is "Get with the identity politics/Black Lives Matter program or shut the **** up!" :lol:

Back in high school, I read one of Stephen King's last truly good books, Needful Things. Leland Gaunt comes to a small town in Maine and sets up a shop called....you guessed it...Needful Things...a curioso shop specializing in highly niche items that specifi patrons emotionally and desperately need.

The only catch is that Leland gaunt is a demon, or a wraith...perhaps even the devil himself. Who knows. It's never really revealed and it's probably not important. He uses the items he sells his patrons to turn the town folk against each other to the point where all they want is to see each other dead. The hero drives Gaunt from the town and...I suppose...the town's people can start healing, though of course everybody knows that nothing can ever go back to the way it was.

Trump is definitely Leland Gaunt, and my fantasy is that when he's driven from our town, we can wake up, look at each other, and think, holy crap, we came *this close* to completely annihilating each other.

Yes, Needful Things is a simple fiction, but it's a mistake to think it's not a parable.

You must have missed the Dark Tower and Under The Dome then. Under the Dome is a study in what's happening today.

d6s79ov-907c87bf-a440-4d02-ac89-5f99ef965ed2.png
81sB4PtYzbL.jpg

A Trump supporter acquaintance of mine just said:

"Oh big deal, Biden managed to get washed up has-been rocker Bruce Springsteen.
Who didn't see that coming? Trump has The Nuge! What's the difference between two has-beens?"

The difference is simple:

Ted Nugent's an asshole, he revels in being an asshole, he's always been celebrated for being an asshole and he's a bigger asshole now that he's entirely irrelevant than he ever was.
Springsteen is a kind and generous man who believes in simple human dignity and decency, he's always been celebrated for his devotion to dignity and decency and he's even more dignified and decent in the autumn of his career than he ever has been, and unlike Nugent, his career isn't over either.

So, to see it through the lens of musician endorsements, do we dream of an America the Empire of Assholes or do we envision an America that preserves dignity and decency.
I think four years of the Empire of Assholes has been enough to last everyone a lifetime.

Ones called "the boss", the other one isn't.

Identity politics is ANTI-unity. I wanted to vomit when they kept trumpeting that "unity" theme. Unity for them is "Get with the identity politics/Black Lives Matter program or shut the **** up!" :lol:

all that diversity will piss off a ton of republicans/confederates.

You must have missed the Dark Tower and Under The Dome then. Under the Dome is a study in what's happening today.

The Dark Tower, books 1, 2 and 3 were written before Needful Things and therefore brilliant. The quality of the writing in Under the Dome was so bad I couldn't get through it. Needful things will have to suffice.

Back
Top Bottom