• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Theresa May, radical Conservative?

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Laura Kuenssberg said:
it was a "confident" speech with a surprisingly forceful focus on social justice, social mobility and extending opportunity to those who have maybe been left behind - which she suggests could possibly have been made by a Labour politician."There was a radical note to that speech which maybe not everyone might have been expecting," Link.

I was really impressed by Theresa May's first speech but I also fear she may be a Prime Minister too late, her unionist hopes will need to encourage Scotland to stay.
However, fairness, social mobility, social justice and focusing on spreading the opportunities and wealth across the whole country are very promising ideas.

No promises this will be easy though.

I was really impressed by Theresa May's first speech but I also fear she may be a Prime Minister too late, her unionist hopes will need to encourage Scotland to stay.
However, fairness, social mobility, social justice and focusing on spreading the opportunities and wealth across the whole country are very promising ideas.

No promises this will be easy though.

Well.. heard it all before and never seen any of it.. both in the UK or anywhere else. It is basically a stump speech that all right wingers do. Lets put it this way... wont believe it before I see it actually happening.

Peter Oborne begs to differ. "Boring but dangerous"

Theresa May, Britain’s next prime minister, is widely hailed today as the voice of common sense and steely pragmatism. In short, boring but competent.
This argument is half right. May is boring, no question about it. For example she has never demonstrated that she possesses vision or ideas.
Is she competent? I have been following her progress as home secretary for the last six years. She can be reckless with the facts.

..May has made U-turns on any number of issues from the Human Rights Act to Brexit. As the Conservative columnist Peter Hitchens noted today, there is no hard evidence that she holds consistent opinions on any subject at all.

As a young unknown in the late 90s she was on the fashionable right of the Conservative Party, then turned into a fashionable modernising centrist, before in due course lurching back to the Tory right when that became fashionable once again....".

https://t.co/Qwh5HXRadn

Last edited:

[FONT=&]Theresa May, Britain’s next prime minister, is widely hailed today as the voice of common sense and steely pragmatism. In short, boring but competent.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]This argument is half right. May is boring, no question about it. For example she has never demonstrated that she possesses vision or ideas.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Is she competent? I have been following her progress as home secretary for the last six years. She can be reckless with the facts.

..May has made U-turns on any number of issues from the Human Rights Act to Brexit. As the Conservative columnist Peter Hitchens noted today, there is no hard evidence that she holds consistent opinions on any subject at all.[/FONT]

[FONT=&]As a young unknown in the late 90s she was on the fashionable right of the Conservative Party, then turned into a fashionable modernising centrist, before in due course lurching back to the Tory right when that became fashionable once again....".[/FONT]

I have heard that some Muslims want her dead. How bad can she be?

[FONT=&]Theresa May, Britain’s next prime minister, is widely hailed today as the voice of common sense and steely pragmatism. In short, boring but competent.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]This argument is half right. May is boring, no question about it. For example she has never demonstrated that she possesses vision or ideas.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Is she competent? I have been following her progress as home secretary for the last six years. She can be reckless with the facts.

..May has made U-turns on any number of issues from the Human Rights Act to Brexit. As the Conservative columnist Peter Hitchens noted today, there is no hard evidence that she holds consistent opinions on any subject at all.[/FONT]

[FONT=&]As a young unknown in the late 90s she was on the fashionable right of the Conservative Party, then turned into a fashionable modernising centrist, before in due course lurching back to the Tory right when that became fashionable once again....".[/FONT]

So she's Romney?

So she's Romney?
Naw, she's May. That leaves us all pretty much nowhere right now.

'Cept with Romney we didn't get to see how the walk went with the talk, with her we will.

No idea though what all this praise over her skills as a tough negotiator is any use for. It's being made to sound as if she's going to walk all over the EU and the other Heads of State. Is there the pipe dream brewing (again?) that everyone's going to roll over with their paws in the air just because here comes Theresa the Tough?

~ It's being made to sound as if she's going to walk all over the EU and the other Heads of State. Is there the pipe dream brewing (again?) that everyone's going to roll over with their paws in the air just because here comes Theresa the Tough?

That will be for domestic consumption I'm afraid. Mind you and I know the name will upset some ~ Margaret Thatcher went to Europe at a pretty low time for the UK as "the sick man of Europe" and demanded and got deals for us.

Not saying May is Thatcher but what interests me is she could be another real radical and I like radical Conservatives.

Well.. heard it all before and never seen any of it.. both in the UK or anywhere else. It is basically a stump speech that all right wingers do.

I wouldn't be so crass as to ask you to prove that but we both know what you said is wrong.

~ wont believe it before I see it actually happening.

That I can agree with, she has a heck of a job ahead of her. We'll see who she appoints and where.

I wouldn't be so crass as to ask you to prove that but we both know what you said is wrong. .

What? You mean that they say they are going to fight for the small man and all that? They all say that. What I heard in the May speech was nothing new. Hell go back and look at Camerons first speech, and it was the same stuff. Before that Blair and so on.

It is a vision but still words. She still has to actually carry it out, and before she does that.. it is just that, words.. words that countless other politicians have said time and time again without actually doing anything.

David Cameron's speech in full | Politics | The Guardian

Camerons first speech.. not much different there imo..

OMFGS, Boris as Forigen Secretary.... I feel sorry for you Brits now..

That will be for domestic consumption I'm afraid. Mind you and I know the name will upset some ~ Margaret Thatcher went to Europe at a pretty low time for the UK as "the sick man of Europe" and demanded and got deals for us.
........as is well remembered and still resented by many this side of La Manche.

It remains to be seen to what extent everybody in the EU and its member states will take as a guideline the attitude that reigned at a time when a new applying member was welcome, now that a (once) welcome member is slamming the door behind them. But, to head away from what would certainly be vindictiveness superseding sensible considerations, the major one of the latter is the question encourager les autres.

Not saying May is Thatcher but what interests me is she could be another real radical and I like radical Conservatives.
I don't like ANY radicals, no matter from which point of the compass they be. Negotiations AFTER invocation of article 50 are a place where nobody should like them.

It's come to the point where my only recourse left is to double over with laughter.

It's come to the point where my only recourse left is to double over with laughter.

So you applying for Spanish citizenship?`Or maybe Irish like a buttload of other Brits? :)

So you applying for Spanish citizenship?`Or maybe Irish like a buttload of other Brits? :)
If push come to shove.....................

Meanwhile I'll wait for pipe dreams to burst.

Everywhere.

........as is well remembered and still resented by many this side of La Manche.

Yes, but she fought for us and that also deserved grudging respect.

I don't like ANY radicals, no matter from which point of the compass they be.

Aw, that's just too boring.

Negotiations AFTER invocation of article 50 are a place where nobody should like them.

Well, we're all waiting to see how that goes. Like I said, it won't be easy. I think there will be many more surprises and pitfalls in the next two-three years..

Makes sense in some ways - the real test will be if she brings Gove back to work in there too.

What? You mean that they say they are going to fight for the small man and all that? They all say that. What I heard in the May speech was nothing new. Hell go back and look at Camerons first speech, and it was the same stuff. Before that Blair and so on.

It is a vision but still words. She still has to actually carry it out, and before she does that.. it is just that, words.. words that countless other politicians have said time and time again without actually doing anything.

David Cameron's speech in full | Politics | The Guardian

Camerons first speech.. not much different there imo..

No, sorry. I watched Cameron's first speech at the time and the general ethos and feel was very different to May's speech. I expected what I heard then but not this time around.

nice try though.

Now all we need are the prosecutions for the Tory election spending frauds. :2razz:

Makes sense in some ways - the real test will be if she brings Gove back to work in there too.

Makes no sense at all.. he has zero experience on the international stage.

David Davis as Brexit minister makes far more sense, although I dont like it. He is a traditionalist empire type conservative, so I am not too sure that he will fight to keep the UK within the common market.

As for Gove.. he is DOA.. he aint getting any job. She hates him, and after what he did to Boris so do most people I am guessing.

Makes no sense at all.. he has zero experience on the international stage ~

Well if you look at the hype Johnson made about the UK making international deals and links, she's calling his bluff. I have a feeling a lot of this type of thinking will be in evidence.

"You complained about immigrants taking your jobs - now you go get those jobs.
You said we'd make lots of international links - now you go make those links.
You said you want development - here's the jobs, go and work."

Can't blame the EU and immigrants anymore for our own mess.

I like the idea of David Davis as Brexit Minister, the man has integrity.

Haha, Liam Fox for International Trade, this alongside Boris Johnson in as Foreign Secretary says "you said there was something to be found in Brexit, now go and prove your theory right."

Clever... if they can't find deals and trade partners to keep us afloat, she can shove the blame for Brexit failure on the Brexit people.

Yes, but she fought for us and that also deserved grudging respect.
I wasn't talking of us so much as of "them"
Aw, that's just too boring.
I always suspected that deep down somewhere, you're really a suicide bomber. Figuratively speaking, of course :mrgreen:
Well, we're all waiting to see how that goes. Like I said, it won't be easy. I think there will be many more surprises and pitfalls in the next two-three years..
Count on it. That's certainly what I'm doing.
No, sorry. I watched Cameron's first speech at the time and the general ethos and feel was very different to May's speech. I expected what I heard then but not this time around.
I expected exactly what came. Not that it matters, I never put much import on these types of speeches, whoever makes them and wherever s/he's from.

and that'll benefit who?

If things work out, it benefits everyone and solidifies the case that we will do well under a Canada Lite arrangement, (I said that with a straight face) and if not, then it makes the case for a Norway Plus arrangement.

Plus she solidifies the blame on Brexiteers for things not working out when those same Brexiteers fail to find the partners they sold their supporters existed.

Before you ask any more questions, remember I didn't vote or support Brexit.

If things work out, it benefits everyone and solidifies the case that we will do well under a Canada Lite arrangement, (I said that with a straight face) and if not, then it makes the case for a Norway Plus arrangement.

Plus she solidifies the blame on Brexiteers for things not working out when those same Brexiteers fail to find the partners they sold their supporters existed.

Before you ask any more questions, remember I didn't vote or support Brexit.
I tried to drink Canada Dry once but finally had to give up. Place is just too big.

I LOL'ed at Chris Addison's tweet:

Theresa May, eh? Finally someone who is measured and calm, not given to rash decis- BORIS ****ING JOHNSON AS FOREIGN SECRETARY?

Back
Top Bottom