• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

There's Methane in Your Drinking Water. So What?

My drinking water comes from Nestle because I believe nobody has a right to clean drinking water--it is a privilege one earns :shock:

BTW, I don't care how one spins it, around the 5 minute marks of this video says all that needs to be said about the dangers of fracking

It's anecdotal, and this kind of thing has happened before anyone did fracking as well. It is probably because they have houses built on top of massive methane deposits.

Even the EPA could find no evidence of fracking being responsible for methane in ground water. They've tried three times now and can't make the connection.

It's anecdotal, and this kind of thing has happened before anyone did fracking as well. It is probably because they have houses built on top of massive methane deposits.

Even the EPA could find no evidence of fracking being responsible for methane in ground water. They've tried three times now and can't make the connection.

There are a lot of things in your water you probably wouldn't want there. And the boogie man is also in your closet.

But wait... you're basing this off a study in PNAS that scientists did.

And you've established that you dont believe scientists that publish in such respected journals on this section of the forum.

So I assume you'll just dismiss this study out of hand.

Why do you choose to lie so readily?

We were at a cookout on Sunday where one of the guys was working on a huge water pipe project in Libertyville, Illinois. He claims that the city of Libertyville's water system is made of lead pipes. That's frightening.

He also said that the pipes are lined with bacteria up the wazoo -- which is why chlorinating (flouridating) the water is so crucial in municipal water supplies.

Is it true? I don't know. But it wouldn't surprise me if it were.

Why do you choose to lie so readily?

I'm sorry. Where's the lie?

You clearly have said you dont believe the science in PNAS when it comes to climate. Now you use this PNAS study (and a sketchy blog calculation which looks OK to my eyes tho) to try to prove a point.

You cant have it both ways. Either you go with expert science or you dont. When you pick and choose, you lose all credibility.

That all being said, I think the methane is significant more as a marker than a contaminant. When are the other, much more toxic, chemicals used in drilling going to be seen, like benzene and tolulene?

We were at a cookout on Sunday where one of the guys was working on a huge water pipe project in Libertyville, Illinois. He claims that the city of Libertyville's water system is made of lead pipes. That's frightening.

He also said that the pipes are lined with bacteria up the wazoo -- which is why chlorinating (flouridating) the water is so crucial in municipal water supplies.

Is it true? I don't know. But it wouldn't surprise me if it were.
I don't know about bacteria in lead pipes. I know it's not a particular issue with ductile iron pipes (DIP) - those black metal water pipes you usually see in transmission lines - but municipal supplies keep their chlorine levels up in case of small leaks & infiltration, which can happen anywhere in the system and is almost impossible to detect. Lead pipes (as far as the lead) are OK when the water has calcium in it (like from limestone), which probably includes most of Illinois. ((I know Missouri has limestone everywhere and our basic geologies are similar for the most part.)) If you get calcium build-up from tap water (like in the shower) then lead pipes are relatively safe because the calcium builds up layers inside the pipe - and that's true for both lead pipe and DIP, which means the water has little contact with the material of the pipe.

I'm wondering if your guy thinks the calcium layer inside the pipe is somehow bacteria colonies or something? The top calcium layer is pretty gooey when it's water saturated. Just a guess but IDK for sure. Never actually saw lead water pipes and I've seen some pretty old stuff in my time digging up old streets in this town.

Last edited:
I know in my town, we still have wooden water mains in the old section of town.

And there is probably not a tremendous amount of bacteria in the mains, given the chlorination and low level of organic matter in the water and pipes. No food, no sun equals little life.

My drinking water comes from Nestle because I believe nobody has a right to clean drinking water--it is a privilege one earns :shock:

BTW, I don't care how one spins it, around the 5 minute marks of this video says all that needs to be said about the dangers of fracking

yeah, I'd say being able to light tap water on fire is something that I'd consider a problem.

I know in my town, we still have wooden water mains in the old section of town.

And there is probably not a tremendous amount of bacteria in the mains, given the chlorination and low level of organic matter in the water and pipes. No food, no sun equals little life.

that's incorrect. there's biofilm on the inside of the pipes.

http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw/disinfection/tcr/pdfs/whitepaper_tcr_biofilms.pdf

my graduate research project involved using epifluorescent dyes to count Aeromonas hydrophila collected from biofilm taken from the inside of a pipe. Aeromonas is mostly only a problem if you're immunocompromised.

is the water pretty clean and safe? yep. is the water sterile? nope. is it going to make you sick? probably not.

There is methane in liberal propaganda, too.

There is methane in liberal propaganda, too.

I didn't realize we were going to the childish joke format in this forum. Ill go...

Yo mama has so much methane, everytime she lets one loose the National Weather Service issues an air quality alert.

I didn't realize we were going to the childish joke format in this forum. Ill go...

Yo mama has so much methane, everytime she lets one loose the National Weather Service issues an air quality alert.

Liberals are the result of brain damage caused by methane inhalation. Living with one's head up one's ass can do permanent damage.

Back
Top Bottom