• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

There is NO oil shortage in America

Stu Ghatze

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
It is time people stopped being so gullible! There is oil all over the american coastlines, Canada & in Alaska,.. & it is abundant.

While it may be true that the oil refining ability might be slow due to the fact that the environmental whackos, & the politically correct politicians do not want to see new refineries built, ..it is NOT true that there is a shortage of oil.

How many of us over the decades were taught that oil is a product of the prehistoric grasslands, & decayed plant remains??

Funny, ...because most oil is actually retrieved way BELOW these surfaces; & it is becoming evident that the term, "tapped out" may not well mean what most think, ..as retrieving oil to so called dry sites that once were exploited, ..seems to have the ability to keep yielding more oil later!

Everybody seems to want to villify the oil companies because their business is like all business, & meant to turn a profit.

In America, we have villified, chagrined...& even treated oil companies as evil, & YET....in spite of this THEY continue to bring us gasoline MUCH MUCH less expensive than the rest of the worlds countries.

There CAN be successful, & yes...even safe drilling in our country where it can be harmonious with nature, & there are safeguards.

Look at the past "unfortunate" oil accidents, ...those places have now returned back to normal because people today DO KNOW the responsibility we must have with nature.

The oil companies KNOW there are VAST fields of oil to tap, & they continue to invest THEIR billions into it. THis so called oil company investment into "other" areas because oil is running out is pure non-sense, but they do like to be on the cutting edge of new technology with regards to new energy sources.

Bringing crude oil to the refineries, & then to the market place is what the problem really is, & because the demand for oil is so great is what is stretching the resource, & NOT because of any lack of oil.

As stated above there are vast vast areas of known oil supplies in Canada, off the U.S. coasts, & in Alaska that would rival middle east countries "known" oil reserves, & IT IS TIME THIS FACT WAS BORN OUT TO THE PUBLIC!

Now....the question is; "DO WE HAVE THE WILL TO STOP DENYING THIS FACT FOR POLITICAL GAIN, & FOR POLITICAL POSTURING" while we CONTINUE TO VIEW OIL COMPANIES WHO BRING US THE ENERGY WE NEED as greedy, exploitive, & evil??

Believe this: WE will probably ALWAYS have the gasoline combustion engine for our automobiles because we do have incredible vast amounts of oil reserves still left within our reach.

Every time the psuedo-intellectuals, & envoronmental whackos make their claims that we are running out of oil, & that all oil companies are polluters who hate the environment, ..we are helping to drive, & keep the price of oil high.

Some of our geologists, & scientists even now have concurred that many former thoughts on how oil is created, & formed within the earth may have been wrong, & "possibly" might even be a self sustaining process.

So...what have we done? WE have denied oil companies access to drill, & have prevented them because of public pressure in building new refineries THUS helping to create this temporary "shortage" which increases the cost of gasoline.

Oil is needed by all of us, ..not just for the oil companies, & it is time to stop looking at them as though they are the enemy!

We can work with them, & not against them in bringing more abundant oil, & yes...even cheaper oil, & still work & be in harmony with nature, & satisfy our needs in the future.

Wouldn't it really be nice to tell certain mideastern countries that hate our guts, ..& little pint sized south american dictators who hate america, "to go to hell; we do not need, or want your oil"?

We COULD end this foreign "subservience", & foreign economic blackmail BUT only IF we have the POLITICAL will, & intellectual honesty to act in good faith FOR America, & its concerns, & stop this political bickering which only drives up the cost of oil, creates fear & panic, ..& holds us hostage to foreign politics.

Oil companies are NOT the problem! The problem is self imposed ignorance, distrust of American companies (thank you media), enviromental whackos, the politically correct, old science & outdated thinking, & disingenuine politicians!;)

Stu Ghatze said:
Look at the past "unfortunate" oil accidents, ...those places have now returned back to normal because people today DO KNOW the responsibility we must have with nature.
O RLY?

Exxon Valdez for one example:
How was the spill cleaned up?
Complicated question. It took more than four summers of cleanup efforts before the effort was called off. Not all beaches were cleaned and some beaches remain oiled today. At its peak the cleanup effort included 10,000 workers, about 1,000 boats and roughly 100 airplanes and helicopters, known as Exxon's army, navy, and air force. It is widely believed, however, that wave action from winter storms did more to clean the beaches than all the human effort involved.

How many of us over the decades were taught that oil is a product of the prehistoric grasslands, & decayed plant remains??

Funny, ...because most oil is actually retrieved way BELOW these surfaces; & it is becoming evident that the term, "tapped out" may not well mean what most think, ..as retrieving oil to so called dry sites that once were exploited, ..seems to have the ability to keep yielding more oil later
That part you got right, here's a site:

An intriguing theory now permeating oil company research staffs suggests that crude oil may actually be a natural inorganic product, not a stepchild of unfathomable time and organic degradation. The theory suggests there may be huge, yet-to-be-discovered reserves of oil at depths that dwarf current world estimates.

The theory is simple: Crude oil forms as a natural inorganic process which occurs between the mantle and the crust, somewhere between 5 and 20 miles deep.

There CAN be successful, & yes...even safe drilling in our country where it can be harmonious with nature, & there are safeguards.
Or, we can start moving to alternate fuel sources such as ethanol which are not only locally produced, but do more for employment and the environment. E-85 is a good example.
Oil companies are NOT the problem! The problem is self imposed ignorance, distrust of American companies (thank you media), enviromental whackos, the politically correct, old science & outdated thinking, & disingenuine politicians!
You're also forget the NIMBY thought process. Most folk don't want a refinery in their backyard.

St Paul was one of the first cities in America to "overcome" this idea and put an ethanol plant in the heart of the city. (Now, remind you, this is a city run by democrats. In fact, we just ousted the incumbent democrat mayor Randy Kelly since he admitted to voting for George W. Bush in 2004. His opponent? Barely ran a campaign and just sat back and watched the votes flowed in.) So, the ethanol plant was built, quickly house values dropped as the rest of the market boomed. Why? The stench of an ethanol plant got so bad that you couldn't even go outside. After a lot, and I mean a lot, of fighting with city hall, the plant finally shut down. An experiment was done and found to be completely ineffective in this case.

Now, the federal government is starting a new tact with regards to building refineries:

Under the House bill (HR 3893), the Department of Energy would be in charge of permitting for new refineries without any consideration of existing authorities and permits. This was previously handled by the EPA. The House bill also gives the President the authority to construct a refinery on a closed military base and also requires all court cases over siting issues to be heard in the Federal Court of Appeals in the District of Columbia – not the State or local district courts.

So, now we've got the federal government who can swoop in and supercede a state or city's rights to legislate as they see fit. This is too reminescent of the recent court decision regarding emminent domain. I'd personally rather pay more at the pump than pay more with personal liberties.

shuamort said:
O RLY?

Exxon Valdez for one example:
How was the spill cleaned up?
Complicated question. It took more than four summers of cleanup efforts before the effort was called off. Not all beaches were cleaned and some beaches remain oiled today. At its peak the cleanup effort included 10,000 workers, about 1,000 boats and roughly 100 airplanes and helicopters, known as Exxon's army, navy, and air force. It is widely believed, however, that wave action from winter storms did more to clean the beaches than all the human effort involved.

That part you got right, here's a site:

An intriguing theory now permeating oil company research staffs suggests that crude oil may actually be a natural inorganic product, not a stepchild of unfathomable time and organic degradation. The theory suggests there may be huge, yet-to-be-discovered reserves of oil at depths that dwarf current world estimates.

The theory is simple: Crude oil forms as a natural inorganic process which occurs between the mantle and the crust, somewhere between 5 and 20 miles deep.

Or, we can start moving to alternate fuel sources such as ethanol which are not only locally produced, but do more for employment and the environment. E-85 is a good example.You're also forget the NIMBY thought process. Most folk don't want a refinery in their backyard.

St Paul was one of the first cities in America to "overcome" this idea and put an ethanol plant in the heart of the city. (Now, remind you, this is a city run by democrats. In fact, we just ousted the incumbent democrat mayor Randy Kelly since he admitted to voting for George W. Bush in 2004. His opponent? Barely ran a campaign and just sat back and watched the votes flowed in.) So, the ethanol plant was built, quickly house values dropped as the rest of the market boomed. Why? The stench of an ethanol plant got so bad that you couldn't even go outside. After a lot, and I mean a lot, of fighting with city hall, the plant finally shut down. An experiment was done and found to be completely ineffective in this case.

Now, the federal government is starting a new tact with regards to building refineries:

Under the House bill (HR 3893), the Department of Energy would be in charge of permitting for new refineries without any consideration of existing authorities and permits. This was previously handled by the EPA. The House bill also gives the President the authority to construct a refinery on a closed military base and also requires all court cases over siting issues to be heard in the Federal Court of Appeals in the District of Columbia – not the State or local district courts.

So, now we've got the federal government who can swoop in and supercede a state or city's rights to legislate as they see fit. This is too reminescent of the recent court decision regarding emminent domain. I'd personally rather pay more at the pump than pay more with personal liberties.

Nitpick nitpick, ..the point is: WE can clean up our messes if or when they do occur.

WE can legislate really stiff fines IF oil companies desert their responsibility, ..so much in fact that they would WANT to inplement better safeguards. It CAN be done you know!!

Have you any idea of the "thousands" of trips that oil ships that carry oil, ..& how many have resulted in environmental accidents?

Answer: Damn few accidents! You have a better chance of dieing in an airplane crash than by oil ships spilling all their oil out just based on the amount of oil carrying cargo ships, & their amount of time spent in the ocean going to & from!

Anybody can condemn, & chastize oil companies...BUT we CAN work together to limit accidents, & we DO have clean up technology second to none whenever the worst does happen.

It is no longer us verses them, ..we all need oil.;)

can anyone tell me why we dont drill alaska?

surftide said:
can anyone tell me why we dont drill alaska?
Because we already do?

Nabors Alaska and its predecessor companies drilled the discovery well and confirmation wells on the supergiant Prudhoe Bay field. We have been the leading North Slope contractor since 1963. The Company holds many of the drilling records in Alaska and was one of the pioneers in horizontal drilling, which was initially applied full-scale on the North Slope.

Stu Ghatze said:
WE can legislate really stiff fines IF oil companies desert their responsibility, ..so much in fact that they would WANT to inplement better safeguards. It CAN be done you know!!

Hmmm, I think I've heard that before.
Oh, yeah from these people:
Stu Ghatze said:
enviromental whackos

Stu Ghatze said:
Nitpick nitpick
Great, we can build the next new refinery in YOUR backyard. :lol:

What I can't figure out is why we should be so eager to tap and use up whatever oil we do have. Even assume there are sources out there, they cannot be that accessible or cheap or the sources would have been tapped long ago. So maybe we could put more rigs in Alaska and the Gulf and up the supply a little more. Does that make sense? It makes the cost of fuel cheaper, so people by more SUVs and use it faster. And what we'd be using faster is our own limited reserves.

Instead, now that prices have receded, we ought to put a .50 tax on a gallon. That will encourage people to buy hybrids. We continue to use up Saudi Arabia's oil, and in the future, when they start running out, we will be fuel efficient, and still have our own reserves to keep going. We would also be less vulnerable to long term supply interruptions from the ME.

Use less oil. Use Saudi oil. And save ours for our future.

Big oil companies don't want fuel taxed. And neither do the Saudis. Can you think why?

Iriemon

You are so right on.

Take the recent natural disasters on the Gulf Coast, when gasoline supplies were temporarily disrupted. Gas was hard to get, so people conserved. They didn't take unnecessary trips and/or planned their trips to the post office, grocery store, cleaners, etc. more efficiently. Drove the economy car, instead of the SUV. Now that gas is plentiful and getting cheaper, people are back to their same old habits. I remember the oil embargo back in the early '70s. Same thing, conserved until the embargo was lifted and then back to our same old ways.

Whoa, whoa there Iriemon and BWG!

There's way too much logic being thrown around here, and I for one cannot stand it.

You mean to tell me that when the market price for fuel went up because of a temporary shortage due to a supply disruption and associated fear of supply loss, that the demand for such products like fuel actually went down to combat higher prices. :shock:

Prices are a barometer of market forces. So when supply was short, or perceived to be short, our local gas station prices went up causing imports to rise in order to participate in the higher prices. You mean to tell me that the combination of increased imports, the recovery of our own local production in the affected Gulf Coast and the slow decline is fuel usage actually then helped move prices down? That's crazy talk! :lol: Supply side economics does not work.

Bring back arbitrary price caps and an equally arbitrary windfall profits tax on big oil now! Because we hate seeing someone make money on their investment. . More than "we" think they should make. In fact, we should have a windfall profits tax on our homes when we sell them for an abnormal profit, and our stocks and bonds and mutual funds when they also have abnormal profits. Why? Because people shouldn't make any more money than "we" think they should. Sure, these capitalist types take risks. Sure, their risks create jobs. Sure, big money companies like oil have large stock holders like pension funds, IRAs, 401K's and bonds that support our retirement. Sure, the government gets a huge revenue stream when such abnormal profits are made from big companies without having to do a thing or levy new taxes. BUT ALL THAT DOESN'T MATTER.

I'm leaving now; I need to find a good conspiracy with no facts to get in my way!

Good night

:2razz:

FireUltra 98 said:
Whoa, whoa there Iriemon and BWG!

There's way too much logic being thrown around here, and I for one cannot stand it.

You mean to tell me that when the market price for fuel went up because of a temporary shortage due to a supply disruption and associated fear of supply loss, that the demand for such products like fuel actually went down to combat higher prices. :shock:

Prices are a barometer of market forces. So when supply was short, or perceived to be short, our local gas station prices went up causing imports to rise in order to participate in the higher prices. You mean to tell me that the combination of increased imports, the recovery of our own local production in the affected Gulf Coast and the slow decline is fuel usage actually then helped move prices down? That's crazy talk! :lol: Supply side economics does not work.

Bring back arbitrary price caps and an equally arbitrary windfall profits tax on big oil now! Because we hate seeing someone make money on their investment. . More than "we" think they should make. In fact, we should have a windfall profits tax on our homes when we sell them for an abnormal profit, and our stocks and bonds and mutual funds when they also have abnormal profits. Why? Because people shouldn't make any more money than "we" think they should. Sure, these capitalist types take risks. Sure, their risks create jobs. Sure, big money companies like oil have large stock holders like pension funds, IRAs, 401K's and bonds that support our retirement. Sure, the government gets a huge revenue stream when such abnormal profits are made from big companies without having to do a thing or levy new taxes. BUT ALL THAT DOESN'T MATTER.

I'm leaving now; I need to find a good conspiracy with no facts to get in my way!

Good night

:2razz:

I completely agree with your point on price caps and windfall profit taxes. Of course, they have nothing to do with what BWG and I were talking about.

I know. Just wanted to lighten up the mood a bit.

See you around!

BWG said:
Hmmm, I think I've heard that before.
Oh, yeah from these people:

Great, we can build the next new refinery in YOUR backyard. :lol:

please do, I'd make millions off the real estate.

shuamort said:
Because we already do?

Nabors Alaska and its predecessor companies drilled the discovery well and confirmation wells on the supergiant Prudhoe Bay field. We have been the leading North Slope contractor since 1963. The Company holds many of the drilling records in Alaska and was one of the pioneers in horizontal drilling, which was initially applied full-scale on the North Slope.

I believe he was refering to ANWR

Why doesn't the government make it a precondition that if farmers want to recieve their subsidies then they have to make a certain percentage of their crops ones which can be used for the production of ethanol??

Back
Top Bottom