• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

There is a viable compromise on the court packing issue.

Dayton3

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
The Democrats proposed today expanding the U.S. Supreme Court by four justices. Obvious the goal being to pack the Supreme Court with four Biden nominees which one could assume would compensate for the two extra justices that President Trump managed to appoint.

While it might seem like this is an all or nothing proposal, it can be tweeked to become a viable compromise.

1) Expand the court by two justices effective in 2022. This gives President Biden and the liberals a guaranteed two Supreme Court seats to fill.

2) Expand the court by another two justices effective in 2025. This would mean that although it is possible that Biden would have two more justices to appoint, it is equally possible a Republican president would get to fill those seats. Or that even if Biden (or another Democrat) was president in 2025, that the GOP might control the Senate giving the GOP input into the filling of the seats.

While expanding the court is NOT my preference, I think this shows that even on the most difficult issue, compromise is doable.

Opinions?

The Democrats proposed today expanding the U.S. Supreme Court by four justices. Obvious the goal being to pack the Supreme Court with four Biden nominees which one could assume would compensate for the two extra justices that President Trump managed to appoint.

While it might seem like this is an all or nothing proposal, it can be tweeked to become a viable compromise.

1) Expand the court by two justices effective in 2022. This gives President Biden and the liberals a guaranteed two Supreme Court seats to fill.

2) Expand the court by another two justices effective in 2025. This would mean that although it is possible that Biden would have two more justices to appoint, it is equally possible a Republican president would get to fill those seats. Or that even if Biden (or another Democrat) was president in 2025, that the GOP might control the Senate giving the GOP input into the filling of the seats.

While expanding the court is NOT my preference, I think this shows that even on the most difficult issue, compromise is doable.

Opinions?
Imagine it was just lead to an "arms race" for future cycles. Leave it be.

Opinions?

It's all just left wing idiocy. Add 4 more justices for the purpose of dominating the leftist cause. Next president with half a brain will add 2 more to gain the upper hand and so on and so on. When we arrive at 1001 justices somebody will figure out the stupidity of it all.

Back
Top Bottom