• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

There are two kinds of Cardiologists: Vegans and those who haven't read the data

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Back when I worked in the Medical intensive care unit in a major hospital in the Midwest, our Cardiologist would bring in one of those large white boxes with dozens of greasy sugary yeast donuts every Sunday when he did rounds. Said it was job security. And he was a pretty nice guy.

Advice From a Vegan Cardiologist - Dr. Kim A. Williams, Immediate-Past President of the American College of Cardiology, often sees patients who are overweight and struggling with hypertension, Type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol. One of the things he advises them to do is to change their diets.

11 Years a Vegan for a Healthier Heart - Everyday Health

Dr. Kim Allan Williams Sr. Assumes Role of President of the American College of Cardiology - American College of Cardiology

Y'know, I love being a far-left liberal progressive...but I'm too doggone Southern to give up meat. I do dearly love my BBQ.

That said, I eagerly look forward to the day when vat-grown beef and pork are commercially viable - such would probably be healthier, but more importantly better for the climate...and most importantly, it would stop the cruelty and slaughter that are part and parcel of our meat industry (especially given that we're finding more and more evidence that animals are more aware than we ever thought).

Some pigs are very smart, but God made them out of bacon, so...
Y'know, I love being a far-left liberal progressive...but I'm too doggone Southern to give up meat. I do dearly love my BBQ.

That said, I eagerly look forward to the day when vat-grown beef and pork are commercially viable - such would probably be healthier, but more importantly better for the climate...and most importantly, it would stop the cruelty and slaughter that are part and parcel of our meat industry (especially given that we're finding more and more evidence that animals are more aware than we ever thought).

EH: Do you have tips for how to start on a vegan diet?

Dr. Williams: I encourage patients to go to the grocery store and sample different plant-based versions of many of the basic foods they eat already. There are dozens of products to sample, and there will obviously be some that you like and some that you don't like. I also ask my patients what they like to eat and then help them search the Internet for vegan alternative recipes to try.

Interesting that even though the school of healthy eating has gained a pulse in the restaurant industry the actual production of veggies in America has been in steady decline even as the population increases.

http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/usda/current/VegeSumm/VegeSumm-02-04-2016.pdf

We cant assume that where the rubber meets the road the "eat lots of fruits and vegetables!" plea is working.

If you’re feeling down about how you eat, consider this: if you eat about one cup of fruit and more than 1.5 cups of vegetables a day, you’re actually eating better than about half of all Americans. If you eat 1.5 cups of fruit (the recommended serving size for an adult), you’re doing better than more than three-fourths of Americans. And if you eat two cups of vegetables a day (another recommended serving size), that’s better than almost 90 percent of your neighbors
If You Eat Any Fruits Or Vegetables At All, You're Doing Better Than Half Of America

Clearly Veganism is several bridges too far.

My doctor just told me that meat fat has little to do with clogged arteries. He said that it's caused by the liver metabolizing triglycerides from carbs into cholesterol. I suggest a balanced diet with some minor supplementation. There is no 'one size' fits all scenario for peoples varying ages, lifestyles, cultures, genetics and metabolisms.

My doctor just told me that meat fat has little to do with clogged arteries. He said that it's caused by the liver metabolizing triglycerides from carbs into cholesterol. I suggest a balanced diet with some minor supplementation. There is no 'one size' fits all scenario for peoples varying ages, lifestyles, cultures, genetics and metabolisms.

The fact that it took 40 years for doctors to both understand the truth about eating cholesterol and then also speak it is a huge problem.

The fact that it took 40 years for doctors to both understand the truth about eating cholesterol and then also speak it is a huge problem.

Doctors get their info from studies and big pharma companies pushing meds. I have no doubt that the cure for cancer and possibly even old age is locked in a vault at Langley somewhere. The gov couldn't afford for that info to be released for the resulting population explosion. So it figures that they're not to eager to figure out arterial disease, until they're able to find some place to colonize with resources.

had bacon and eggs this moring it was delish.
How was your celery?

Doctors get their info from studies and big pharma companies pushing meds. I have no doubt that the cure for cancer and possibly even old age is locked in a vault at Langley somewhere. The gov couldn't afford for that info to be released for the resulting population explosion. So it figures that they're not to eager to figure out arterial disease, until they're able to find some place to colonize with resources.

the doctor in the article is promoting a plant based diet. not pills.

please don't hijack my threads.

now that is interesting....

mine said the same thing, and it is so genetic we cant really do a whole lot about it.

the cure for cancer is in our food

but

heredity counts

the doctor in the article is promoting a plant based diet. not pills.

please don't hijack my threads.

Huh?
It's related because I told my doctor I had stopped eating red meat, increased my veggies- fruits and shouldn't need a statin drug for cholesterol.

Yeah, I thought it was strange that blood sugar increased triglycerides (blood fat), which is the main cause of bad cholesterol.

It is more that science was not done but the food fad creators claimed that it had been, and that it was on their side. The doctors and other alleged health elite lied by omission when they failed to call the food nazis on their lies told to the little people. We see what happened with digestive system intake of cholesterol over and over and over again now.

The ends justify the means and the truth is expendable, according to the elite.

Doctors have been largely discredited along with most of the rest of the elite.

Because of their actions, and inactions.

Last edited:
the cure for cancer is in our food

but

heredity counts

The cure for cancer is probably in the technique known as CRISPR, a new genome editing tool that could transform the field of biology.

carbs...

it makes sense since most are processed

cut out ALL processed food including bread

I know this, I just can't do it

Yea, the Paleo diet is closer to what doctors are recommending now. I find it almost impossible to do.

It is more that science was not done but the food fad creators claimed that it had been, and that it was on their side. The doctors and other alleged health elite lied by omission when they failed to call the food nazis on their lies told to the little people. We see what happened with digestive system intake of cholesterol over and over and over again now.

The ends justify the means and the truth is expendable, according to the elite.

Doctors have been largely discredited along with most of the rest of the elite.

Because of their actions, and inactions.

I agree they never see the sense in a balanced diet as the safest route. I remember when CABG was the rage for blocked arteries, until angioplasty and stents became the alternative due to insurance companies not wanting to pay for bypasses and studies showing they were too rough on many of the elderly.

I agree they never see the sense in a balanced diet as the safest route. I remember when CABG was the rage for blocked arteries, until angioplasty and stents became the alternative due to insurance companies not wanting to pay for bypasses and studies showing they were too rough on many of the elderly.

Ya, about that:

But while stents unquestionably save lives of patients in the throes of a heart attack or a threatened heart attack, there is no convincing evidence that stents reduce heart attack risk for people suffering from the chest pains known as stable angina. These are people who feel tightness or discomfort walking up a hill, for example, because a partly blocked coronary artery is depriving their heart of blood. But the pain or tightness goes away if they stop and rest or just stay still. And there is a reasonable argument that drugs — cholesterol-lowering statins in particular — might be just as good at reducing such pain.

“It is kind of amazing that we don’t have the evidence,” said Dr. David J. Maron, the director of preventive cardiology at Stanford.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/23/health/heart-attack-stent-angiogram-chest-pain-angina.html?_r=0

Over and over and over again the elite come up with plans and "facts" without bothering to try to get science to support them. They simply trot out what they believe, want to believe, or what ever suits their personal purposes under the heading "EXPERT GUIDANCE". At that point we are suppose to do as we are told with minimal objection.

Truth is expendable in America circa 2016.

Basic honesty slows down the work.

SAD.

Last edited:
Ya, about that:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/23/health/heart-attack-stent-angiogram-chest-pain-angina.html?_r=0

Over and over and over again the elite come up with plans and "facts" without bothering to try to get science to support them. They simply trot out what they believe, want to believe, or what ever suits their purpose.

Truth is expendable.

Stents don't always last as long as a bypass but they definitely help with angina, heart failure symptoms, arrhythmia etc. Some cases are also different, where a person will do as well with medication and diet change alone. Truth is subject to being monetized by the healthcare industry, it is a big business.

The cure for cancer is probably in the technique known as CRISPR, a new genome editing tool that could transform the field of biology.
does this have anything to do with the injection of the HIV virus? it was an interesting documentary with profound results

Yea, the Paleo diet is closer to what doctors are recommending now. I find it almost impossible to do.
me too

Stents don't always last as long as a bypass but they definitely help with angina, heart failure symptoms, arrhythmia etc. Some cases are also different, where a person will do as well with medication and diet change alone. Truth is subject to being monetized by the healthcare industry, it is a big business.

Bout that:

Scientists reviewed each issue of The New England Journal of Medicine from 2001 through 2010 and found 363 studies examining an established clinical practice. In 146 of them, the currently used drug or procedure was found to be either no better, or even worse, than the one previously used. The report appears in the August issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings. More than 40 percent of established practices studied were found to be ineffective or harmful, 38 percent beneficial, and the remaining 22 percent unknown

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/26/medical-procedures-may-be-useless-or-worse/

But that will not stop Militant_Vegan from trotting out some doctors advise, then expecting us to take it seriously.

Those who want my attention need to show up with proof, or at least solid evidence.

That is a very high bar to meet in America@2016, AKA the age of the flimflam .

Till they do I am going with the wisdom of the ages.

A bit over everything, everything in moderation.

And eat what you like.

Seriously.

Last edited:
Compared to the non-vegetarians, vegetarians had about:

1/2 the high blood pressure and diabetes
2/3 the rheumatoid arthritis
Life expectancies in the Adventist Health Study were published in 2001 (2). They showed that white, non-Hispanic Seventh-day Adventists live longer than other white Californians (7.28 more years for men, 4.42 more years for women). According to the researchers, this group of Seventh-day Adventists were the longest-lived, formally studied population in the world (with an average life span of 78.5 years for men, 82.3 for women).

The following variables were shown to increase life expectancy:

vegetarian diet
eating nuts regularly
physical activity
lower body weight
no smoking

Disease Rates

EH: Do you have tips for how to start on a vegan diet?

Dr. Williams: I encourage patients to go to the grocery store and sample different plant-based versions of many of the basic foods they eat already. There are dozens of products to sample, and there will obviously be some that you like and some that you don't like. I also ask my patients what they like to eat and then help them search the Internet for vegan alternative recipes to try.

There are no plant based versions of: Steak, pork chops, fried chicken, sausage, bacon, lamb chops.

Animals are natures way of processing plants into something edible.

Back
Top Bottom