• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'There are no police': Ferguson store owners guard businesses; cite lack of police re

Re: 'There are no police': Ferguson store owners guard businesses; cite lack of polic

and that community anger is addressed by damaging and hurting their own neighbors.

Yes, when people get angry they do foolish and hurtful things. Your point?

Re: 'There are no police': Ferguson store owners guard businesses; cite lack of polic

Last night he stood by and watched the blacks in Ferguson loot the stores with no guns pointed at the front door or the broken windows. That was not showing a great deal of competency. The owners were left to their own devices and of course, if some WHITE owner shot and killed some BLACK looter all hell would have broken loose....AGAIN.

You know it and I know it.

Either the man is competent or he is not. His skin color has nothing to do with his competence and as such is nothing more than a red herring.

Either the man is competent or he is not. His skin color has nothing to do with his competence and as such is nothing more than a red herring.

AS this was going on while the black guy cop was busy marching with the protesters, he didn't show much competency...just a lot of racism.

[video]http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/16/there-are-no-police-ferguson-store-owners-guard-businesses-with-own-guns-lack/[/video]

YOU go put yourself in a riot situation where it is reported civilians are firing at police helicopters adn DONT wear anything and everything available.

The funny thing is...the night before when the police DID respond with all that gear? No riots, the crowd dispersed in literally minutes once the police engaged, no looting...no nothing. Some runny noses and rubber bullet bruises. The riot gear was extraordinarily 'effective'.

More like "police responded....riot stopped" versus "police didn't respond....riot continued".

Again how did police deal with riots in the days before they had all that surplus army hardware?

AS this was going on while the black guy cop was busy marching with the protesters, he didn't show much competency...just a lot of racism.

[video]http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/16/there-are-no-police-ferguson-store-owners-guard-businesses-with-own-guns-lack/[/video]

What's your skin color and gender? I want to make a reference to them every single time I respond to something you post, even when skin color and gender have nothing whatsoever to do with the subject being discussed.

For one thing lose the military weapons, storm trooper body armor, MRAPS etc. They are police, not soldiers in a war zone.

The cops shouldn't have personal protective gear? That's counter-productive.

Up until the governor got involved, the police continued to be a cause of the problem on an ongoing basis, for example the arrests of reporters and at least one alderman.

I heard of it, but don't really know the details. I assume though that they were covering the violence. Get into that mix and things happened unfortunately. If you have a link, I would like to learn more about the incident in question.

You are ignoring the fact that there hasn't been an ongoing riot, whereas if the situation had degenerated into pure chaos you'd have a point. Otherwise, in the shared hallucination that is police authority, you do have to be mindful of the times where the equipment you bring and the tactics you use risk making the problem worse rather than being simple preparation.

Have there been any of these peaceful protest that have gotten the Birmingham treatment a la the 1960's? If there was, then you'd have a point. Also, a gun isn't going to take away your freedoms, the man behind it might though. Let me put it you this way, if all the cops that were there were constitutional scholars and just so happened to be wearing that that equipment, would you be as concerned? Of course not, because you know they will respect your rights. On the flip side, let's talk about young hot shots that are itching to abuse authority armed with just a baton, does it make it any less of an abuse of authority because he chooses to do so with just a baton?

You would think right?

What's your skin color and gender? I want to make a reference to them every single time I respond to something you post, even when skin color and gender have nothing whatsoever to do with the subject being discussed.

You gotta admit though, if you were governor and needed to send someone in, are you going to be sending in a white guy in an issue rife with accusations of racism?

More like "police responded....riot stopped" versus "police didn't respond....riot continued".

Again how did police deal with riots in the days before they had all that surplus army hardware?

They didn't. The army came in and fired live rounds into the crowd.

There's a world of difference between a helmet and shield and an M16 and an APC.

Again police enforce the law and ostensibly protect the populace. They aren't a military force.

I heard of it, but don't really know the details. I assume though that they were covering the violence. Get into that mix and things happened unfortunately. If you have a link, I would like to learn more about the incident in question.

Alderman, 2 reporters arrested as Ferguson erupts for 4th night

There's a lot more where that came from, Google is your friend. The short is that the reporters were off the street and minding their own business when the cops rolled up, and the alderman -- an elected official -- was capturing pictures and footage of the protests.

Have there been any of these peaceful protest that have gotten the Birmingham treatment a la the 1960's? If there was, then you'd have a point. Also, a gun isn't going to take away your freedoms, the man behind it might though. Let me put it you this way, if all the cops that were there were constitutional scholars and just so happened to be wearing that that equipment, would you be as concerned? Of course not, because you know they will respect your rights.

Of course I would be as concerned. The problem isn't whether or not I'm afraid that the man with the gun understands my rights and his responsibilities, it's the fact that he's responding to understandable anger and frustration with military equipment. That kind of response shows a failure to understand what the appropriate response to the situation is, regardless of whether or not my rights are understood.

IOn the flip side, let's talk about young hot shots that are itching to abuse authority armed with just a baton, does it make it any less of an abuse of authority because he chooses to do so with just a baton?

Obviously not. That kind of response shows a failure to understand what the appropriate response to the situation is.

They didn't. The army came in and fired live rounds into the crowd.

The Rodney King riots this ain't. And frankly calling out the National Guard is probably preferable.

You gotta admit though, if you were governor and needed to send someone in, are you going to be sending in a white guy in an issue rife with accusations of racism?

Even were we to assume that that's how the governor made the decision, the man's skin color still has absolutely nothing to do with his competence.

Why did you mention the man's skin color? What does his ethnicity have to fo with his competence?

I think that's a rhetorical question

Do you also support them getting the appropriate business and property tax rebate from the city/state since they are now required to police themselves?
If they were policing themselves then yes.

But we all know that these store owners are actually complaining about slow response times, not a non-existent police force.

If they were policing themselves then yes.

But we all know that these store owners are actually complaining about slow response times, not a non-existent police force.

Aren't those effectively the same thing?

Aren't those effectively the same thing?

In a city dealing with riots and protests, slow response times are to be expected. It sucks that the stores got looted, but these store owners do have access to a police force.

Even were we to assume that that's how the governor made the decision, the man's skin color still has absolutely nothing to do with his competence.

Agreed

Alderman, 2 reporters arrested as Ferguson erupts for 4th night

There's a lot more where that came from, Google is your friend. The short is that the reporters were off the street and minding their own business when the cops rolled up, and the alderman -- an elected official -- was capturing pictures and footage of the protests.

Yeah I know, but why do that when I can get someone else to do the leg work :2razz:

Honestly in that video, the Alderman thing wasn't the most shocking thing. I found the tear gas being deployed against the Al Jazeera news crew to be more appalling.

Of course I would be as concerned. The problem isn't whether or not I'm afraid that the man with the gun understands my rights and his responsibilities, it's the fact that he's responding to understandable anger and frustration with military equipment. That kind of response shows a failure to understand what the appropriate response to the situation is, regardless of whether or not my rights are understood.

Obviously not. That kind of response shows a failure to understand what the appropriate response to the situation is.

Let's be honest, these people aren't upset over military equipment, there upset because a black kid was shot. Let's not turn this into something it isn't. And don't give me that understandable bull****. There thugs, nothing more nothing else. And when you start making excuses for these thugs, you spit all over the people who are doing it right, marching and protesting peacefully.

Prey tell, what is a proper response to a mob that is rioting and looting then?

The Rodney King riots this ain't. And frankly calling out the National Guard is probably preferable.

Well, wait a minute...it doesn't make sense to complain about militarization of the police and then say that calling out the actual military is a better option.

There's a world of difference between a helmet and shield and an M16 and an APC.

Again police enforce the law and ostensibly protect the populace. They aren't a military force.

Cops don't have M-16's and the "APC" you're talking about is nothing more than an unarmed, armored truck, which purely a defensive piece of equipment.

Let's get real, the cops are firing rubber bullets!

It has nothing to do with his competence, but it has everything to do with his appointment.

Well, wait a minute...it doesn't make sense to complain about militarization of the police and then say that calling out the actual military is a better option.

Yes it does. Calling out National a Guard takes time, money and effort so it won't happen just on a whim as seems to be the case with local PDs.

Yes it does. Calling out National a Guard takes time, money and effort so it won't happen just on a whim as seems to be the case with local PDs.

The longer the response time, the more damage to life and property the mob will inflict.

So, what about the rights of the law abiding citizens? Have you totally forgotten about that??

Back
Top Bottom