• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

There are millions in the USA that need mask/vaccine mandates because of pre-existing conditions that will not allow them to respond to the vaccines.

Razoo

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
When the coronavirus pandemic began, Emily Landon thought about her own risk only in rare quiet moments. An infectious-disease doctor at the University of Chicago Medicine, she was cramming months of work into days, preparing her institution for the virus’s arrival in the United States.

But Landon had also recently developed rheumatoid arthritis—a disease in which a person’s immune system attacks their own joints—and was taking two drugs that, by suppressing said immune system, made her more vulnerable to pathogens. Normally, she’d be confident about avoiding infections, even in a hospital setting. This felt different. “We didn’t have enough tests, it was probably around us everywhere, and I’m walking around every day with insufficient antibodies and hamstrung T-cells,” she told me.

And she knew exactly what was happening to people who got infected. One night, she found that in the fog of an earlier day, she had written on her to-do list: Make a will. “And I realized, Oh my God, I could die,” she said. “I just cried and cried.”

Two years later, COVID-19 is still all around us, everywhere, and millions of people like Landon are walking around with a compromised immune system. A significant proportion of them don’t respond to COVID vaccines, so despite being vaccinated, many are still unsure whether they’re actually protected—and some know that they aren’t.

Much of the United States dropped COVID restrictions long ago; many more cities and states are now following. That means policies that protected Landon and other immunocompromised people, including mask mandates and vaccination requirements, are disappearing, while accommodations that benefited them, such as flexible working options, are being rolled back.

This isn’t a small group. Close to 3 percent of U.S. adults take immunosuppressive drugs, either to treat cancers or autoimmune disorders or to stop their body from rejecting transplanted organs or stem cells.

That makes at least 7 million immunocompromised people—a number that’s already larger than the populations of 36 states, without even including the millions more who have diseases that also hamper immunity, such as AIDS and at least 450 genetic disorders.

In the past, immunocompromised people lived with their higher risk of infection, but COVID represents a new threat that, for many, has further jeopardized their ability to be part of the world.

From the very start of the pandemic, some commentators have floated the idea “that we can protect the vulnerable and everyone else can go on with their lives,” Seth Trueger, who is on immunosuppressants for an autoimmune complication of cancer, told me. “How’s that supposed to work?”

He is an emergency doctor at Northwestern Medicine; he can neither work from home nor protect himself by avoiding public spaces. “How am I supposed to provide for my family or live my life if there’s a pandemic raging?” he said. Contrary to popular misconceptions, most immunocompromised people are neither visibly sick nor secluded.

“I know very few people who are immunocompromised and get to live in a bubble,” says Maggie Levantovskaya, a writer and literature professor who has lupus, an autoimmune disorder that can cause debilitating inflammation across the entire body.

Mask don’t work. And the booster is being shunned worse than Trump. The house of cards s falling. And the at risk crowd just needs to lock themselves down to be more safe.

Mask don’t work. And the booster is being shunned worse than Trump. The house of cards s falling. And the at risk crowd just needs to lock themselves down to be more safe.
What a ****ed up thing to say.

What a ****ed up thing to say.
Why?
Masks have been proven to be ~0.02% effective; No one wants anything to do with the damn vaccines or "boosters" anymore. Over 75% of people in several counties around me have canceled their booster shots.

There is no more "at risk crowd" because the democrats know keeping this garbage in place - mandates, masks, vax, boosters - is sheer stupidity and they are now coming around to the great GOP way of thinking as the democrats are trying to salvage at least 1 seat in the House in November.

It is over, dude. Thanks to Trump.

Otherwise, we'd be hearing from the great, asinine Fauci who paid China to invent COVID.

Why?
Masks have been proven to be ~0.02% effective; No one wants anything to do with the damn vaccines or "boosters" anymore. Over 75% of people in several counties around me have canceled their booster shots.

There is no more "at risk crowd" because the democrats know keeping this garbage in place - mandates, masks, vax, boosters - is sheer stupidity and they are now coming around to the great GOP way of thinking as the democrats are trying to salvage at least 1 seat in the House in November.

It is over, dude. Thanks to Trump.

Otherwise, we'd be hearing from the great, asinine Fauci who paid China to invent COVID.
You do realize that some people who received boosters were counted as receiving their first shot so those receiving boosters were undercounted.

Also as an immunocompromised person I am thankful to those who are very mindful of keeping me safe and more grateful they are not people like you

You do realize that some people who received boosters were counted as receiving their first shot so those receiving boosters were undercounted.

Also as an immunocompromised person I am thankful to those who are very mindful of keeping me safe and more grateful they are not people like you
excellent repsponse

Incidentally there is no hard evidence from anywhere that face masks are not effective.

Not only that there is speculation that masks are keeping the numbers of common colds reduced as well
as bronchial invasions. Which stands to reason.

Back
Top Bottom