• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

There’s a knock at the door. It’s the Pronoun Police.

The easy solution is to show each individual respect by using the preferred singular pronoun, either he/him or she/her, depending. If you're a transsexual man, I will use "he"; if you're a transsexual woman, I will use "she." But what I will never do is use "they" for one individual and this is (1) because I can count, and (2) using a plural pronoun when a singular one is required is needlessly confusing, particularly to second-language speakers.

I fully admit that I struggle with 'they' though I will use it when I remember it.

That's often the best solution. Sometimes, however, it makes communication stilted and awkward. If it's just a sentence or two, no problem; if it's a lengthy discussion, it can be.
I think using "they" or "them" as pronouns is usually easy enough to follow once context is added. For example, I wouldn't find the following sentence confusing:

"I saw Charlie yesterday. I met them at the park."

I think using "they" or "them" as pronouns is usually easy enough to follow once context is added. For example, I wouldn't find the following sentence confusing:

"I saw Charlie yesterday. I met them at the park."
I do, and I think you can see that your example would be problematic in court as well.

The real problem began long ago when English teachers began to let stuff slide. Now, my bet is that if you asked 100 Americans if "Everybody has their tickets" is correct, they would say yes. Well, no, it's not because everybody, everyone, somebody, someone, and each are all singulars. The fix is easy--"They all have their tickets" or "We all have our tickets."

"Each" is now a real problem for editors. Most people no longer know that "each" means "one."

I do, and I think you can see that your example would be problematic in court as well.

The real problem began long ago when English teachers began to let stuff slide. Now, my bet is that if you asked 100 Americans if "Everybody has their tickets" is correct, they would say yes. Well, no, it's not because everybody, everyone, somebody, someone, and each are all singulars. The fix is easy--"They all have their tickets" or "We all have our tickets."

"Each" is now a real problem for editors. Most people no longer know that "each" means "one."
In a court, classroom, or newspaper I can see why it might be a problem. In a less formal setting like when I'm just chatting with someone, I find that most of the time it works just fine.

The easy solution is to show each individual respect by using the preferred singular pronoun, either he/him or she/her, depending. If you're a transsexual man, I will use "he"; if you're a transsexual woman, I will use "she." But what I will never do is use "they" for one individual and this is (1) because I can count, and (2) using a plural pronoun when a singular one is required is needlessly confusing, particularly to second-language speakers.

1652543887259.png

You identify as a male. If several members of the forum started referring to you by she/her and were clearly doing so to annoy you, what do you believe your response/the response of the moderators on the forum here would be?
No, I don't merely "identify" as male. I am male. If someone were to refer to me as "she" then they are simply making an error. If their reason for doing so was an attempt to annoy me they would fail.

This is one of the subtle traits of trans ideology. It's not just about giving an individual the freedom to identify as a gender they are not. It's also a demand placed on others that they think and act compliantly. In short, it's an expression of selfishness. Be seen not as you see me, but as I demand you to see me.

My answer is no. I define gender based on biology and not imaginings.

I've dealt with Title IX a lot. Quite familiar with it. Gender-based harassment is illegal. It's also just plain old fashioned 'being a dick'.

So, don't do it. Don't condone it, either.
I agree the kids are being dickheads but it’s still a long way to go to equate using the wrong with harrassment. Kids are morons. They do moronic shit to other kids. If all those moron behaviors rose to the level of harrassment most if the school would would in detention forever.

There may be more going butbwe can only judge based on what is known.

In a court, classroom, or newspaper I can see why it might be a problem. In a less formal setting like when I'm just chatting with someone, I find that most of the time it works just fine.
Oh, I agree.

Reactions: AJG
View attachment 67390719

It may have been in consistent use, but this doesn't mean that editors don't fix it.

And by the way, did you note the "themself"? Want to claim that this too is standard?

Our Ms. Emily was a great poet, but this doesn't mean that while being extraordinarily talented at using it that she was an expert on the English language itself. In fact, editors had to clean up her work and interpret, for example, her substandard and wildly varying dashes. (Fun aside: And she was reclusive as well as rather strange. When she became ill, a doctor would have to example her from a separate room.)

I believe these charges were subsequently dropped, but consider it a sign of the times. This is where the trans ideologues want to take us: criminal prosecution for using the “wrong” pronouns:

The students reportedly didn’t use “they/them” and instead said a different pronoun to the classmate.

The horror :rolleyes:

I see another school district which is going to get an uptick in parents demanding the district board members to either knock it off or step down.

Whether or not they were deliberately using the wrong pronouns, charging a bunch of kids with sexual harassment for something like this is way over the top.
The DEI addicts probably want to "make an example out of them" to make sure their Liberal nonsense is taken seriously.

There's many ways they could have chosen to discipline before resorting to something so extreme. Why not give them detention, or have a teacher explain to the students why what they did was wrong?
The last choice is the best. At least that won't involve the parents suing the school district into bankruptcy for treating their kids like criminals.

These days, it's easier just to say "Hey you!". Sure, it ain't very respectful, but it doesn't start any tantrums from the thin-skinned.

These days, it's easier just to say "Hey you!". Sure, it ain't very respectful, but it doesn't start any tantrums from the thin-skinned.
Again, what is so wrong with just calling people by their ****ing name? Are people that ****ing lazy that "Robert" or "Elizabeth" are just too long to say? For **** sake people say the younger generation is lazy! All they can say is "him", "her", "they".

This shit is so damn stupid On BOTH ****ING SIDES!

Singular they/them is used all the time in our language. An example: someone dropped their wallet. Hopefully I can find them and return it. Not to mention that it's not even a new concept as both Shakespeare and the Bible uses singular they/them pronouns.

Again, what is so wrong with just calling people by their ****ing name? Are people that ****ing lazy that "Robert" or "Elizabeth" are just too long to say? For **** sake people say the younger generation is lazy! All they can say is "him", "her", "they".

This shit is so damn stupid On BOTH ****ING SIDES!
what if you don't know their name and aren't sure of their pronoun?

maybe we should say "hey schroedinger's person"

Whether or not they were deliberately using the wrong pronouns, charging a bunch of kids with sexual harassment for something like this is way over the top. There's many ways they could have chosen to discipline before resorting to something so extreme. Why not give them detention, or have a teacher explain to the students why what they did was wrong?
I can accept that it’s “wrong” within some reasonable bounds not to accommodate someone else’s wishes but I don’t see why the state should be involved in this at all.

If I choose to identify as the Emperor Napoleon should people be punished for saying “you’re not the Emperor Napoleon”?

Generally I think people are entitled to their own opinions about such things.

what if you don't know their name and aren't sure of their pronoun?

maybe we should say "hey schroedinger's person"
Very simple, if I'm talking to them, I just say "hi, how are you? I can't remember your name"

How ****ing difficult is that?

Very simple, if I'm talking to them, I just say "hi, how are you? I can't remember your name"

How ****ing difficult is that?
when is "you" going to be the wrong thing to say? I thought "we" was a valid pronoun in all this.

I believe these charges were subsequently dropped, but consider it a sign of the times. This is where the trans ideologues want to take us: criminal prosecution for using the “wrong” pronouns:

I hope the parents sue the school district. Legal action is the only way this BS will stop.

Not long before the left has thought police walking the streets...

Back
Top Bottom