• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Then and Now

Ockham

Noblesse oblige
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Then: October 29, 2009.

96966b09794e3ea920417b1bd6f6affb.jpg

A run up to the Presidential election. Then President elect Barack Obama makes a un-publicized deviation between campaign stops and keeps out the picture taking press. Only the White House Press Corps was with the campaign to take snap-shots. In the pre-dawn hours, Obama salutes 18 fallen dead from Afghanistan. This is reported in the media as a sincere reverence to our fallen soldiers.

Now: August 26, 2010.

ObamaShrimp.jpg

President Obama is thrown questions while vacationing in Martha's Vineyard with his family. The press pushes President Obama on multiple questions including one about Iraq while the President and family are at Nancy's Restaurant in the Oak Bluffs section of the Massachusetts island. President Obama turns to the press and says: "We're buying shrimp, guys," the president said, smiling. "Come on."

On Aug 29th, 2010 7 soldiers were killed in Afghanistan.

"We're buying shrimp, guys."

Are you saying that he should be at every funeral?

Is that the only question you have?

Is that the only question you have?

Well, I am trying to figure out what the complaint in the OP is and thats the only thing I can come up with that might make any sense.

There is no complaint. The juxtaposition of two contrasting occurrences, to vastly different actions on the same topic. In fact, I've gone to great lengths to NOT provide an opinion at all. So the question or comment or complaint is up to everyone reading it. What do you make of such a contrast on the same subject?

My guess is you do not have a comment, or reject such a contrast or do not care either way ... or will this take a more accusatory nature? I'm interested to see what happens.

So the man wanted to buy shrimp in peace, and I don't get why you put in the link at the end, I'm sure he would have finished the shrimp in the three days that passed.

So the man wanted to buy shrimp in peace, and I don't get why you put in the link at the end, I'm sure he would have finished the shrimp in the three days that passed.

Did you glean anything else?

Did you glean anything else?

Lets see, in the first photo, he's politicising, in the second one, he's spending time with his family, and then three days later, 7 soldiers are tragically killed, and he's back to politicising in the link Jet posted.

Lets see, in the first photo, he's politicising, in the second one, he's spending time with his family, and then three days later, 7 soldiers are tragically killed, and he's back to politicising in the link Jet posted.

Yea and if it had been Bush ... in both situations chances that he would be in Crawford on vacation would be rather high.

Since Presidents really never are off the clock even on vacation... do you think when he was spending time with his family, President Obama was made aware of 2 American troops from VT killed on Aug 25th or do you think Obama would have been made aware a some days after?

2 Vt. Guardsmen killed in Afghanistan - The Boston Globe

Since Presidents really never are off the clock even on vacation... do you think when he was spending time with his family, President Obama was made aware of 2 American troops from VT killed on Aug 25th or do you think Obama would have been made aware a some days after?

2 Vt. Guardsmen killed in Afghanistan - The Boston Globe

Haven't the foggiest, you'd have to ask one of his aides, but I'd assume he would've been.

He wasn't running for president in 2009.

So in this thread, we learn 2 things:

1) In entirely different situations, Obama acts differently(I know, shocking).

2) Some people will still stoop to using the death of US troops to score political points.

The first picture is insincere politicizing that people still fall for each time they're shown it no matter how cheesie it is. He may as well be kissing babies.

The second picture DOESN'T tell me he doesn't care. It just shows me he likes to spend a lot of money and go on vacations.

Today, I shook hands with some new students I'd never met, wearing a tie.

Two weeks ago, I was drunk as hell and probably talking way too loud.

Amazing contrast. I feel like I've really brought up something worth discussing on the forums.

The first picture is insincere politicizing that people still fall for each time they're shown it no matter how cheesie it is. He may as well be kissing babies.

The second picture DOESN'T tell me he doesn't care. It just shows me he likes to spend a lot of money and go on vacations.

Conservative businessmen spending a lot of money: TRICKLE DOWN GOOD FOR THE ECONOMY MY RIGHT MY MONEY.
Liberal president spending a lot of money: RAAARRRGH

So in this thread, we learn 2 things:

1) In entirely different situations, Obama acts differently(I know, shocking).

2) Some people will still stoop to using the death of US troops to score political points.

Different people, different times... same observations.

That's shocking. Or is it?

This is sort of like when you're at a Starbucks for example and while in line you get in a conversation with the guy behind you to pass the time. All of a sudden the guy starts talking about religion and starts asking you what your religious beliefs are. Taken aback by his sudden attempt at intruding on your personal space, you tell him that you're not interested in getting in a discussion with him about it as you are just there to buy coffee. Upon attempting to change the subject, the other gentleman accuses you of being an atheist and hating god for not being interested in discussing religion every waking second of your day with complete strangers.

I think that about sums up the stupidity displayed in this thread.

I'm buying shrimp guys.

I plan on using that the next time I don't have an answer or I don't have one I want to give.

Then: October 29, 2009.

96966b09794e3ea920417b1bd6f6affb.jpg

A run up to the Presidential election. Then President elect Barack Obama makes a un-publicized deviation between campaign stops and keeps out the picture taking press. Only the White House Press Corps was with the campaign to take snap-shots. In the pre-dawn hours, Obama salutes 18 fallen dead from Afghanistan. This is reported in the media as a sincere reverence to our fallen soldiers.

Now: August 26, 2010.

ObamaShrimp.jpg

President Obama is thrown questions while vacationing in Martha's Vineyard with his family. The press pushes President Obama on multiple questions including one about Iraq while the President and family are at Nancy's Restaurant in the Oak Bluffs section of the Massachusetts island. President Obama turns to the press and says: "We're buying shrimp, guys," the president said, smiling. "Come on."

On Aug 29th, 2010 7 soldiers were killed in Afghanistan.

"We're buying shrimp, guys."

My take on the two pictures. I think every person who sends troops into battle feels a tremendous responsibility and Obama had the chance to pay his respects to some who paid the ultimate price. In the second, he does not want to convey in public that he is consumed with the war. People just care about the economy so he was in a no-win situation.

Maybe I am giving him too much slack. But at the end of the day a President is just another guy who does feel things.

Except when Shrimp buying is at hand... then priorities get shifted.

Except when Shrimp buying is at hand... then priorities get shifted.

The president's job is to answer every question asked of him at any hour of the day by any person in the world.

Conservative businessmen spending a lot of money: TRICKLE DOWN GOOD FOR THE ECONOMY MY RIGHT MY MONEY.
Liberal president spending a lot of money: RAAARRRGH

Any business person spending money that comes from tax payers: RAAAAAARRGH
Any president spending money that comes from tax payers: RAAAAAARRGH

Back
Top Bottom