• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Themes Mafia Game #2 - Cyber Scum

MadLib

monstrous vermin
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Debate Politics Forums is a peaceful community online community. Apart from activities in the Basement, it was largely uneventful, until that fateful Independence Day...

Forum members logged on surprised to see the beloved site owner vauge perma-banned from DP. Perplexed as how this could have happened, the members started to see other moderators, like CaptainCourtesy and Redress also being permanently exiled from the forum. Then one member saw the infamous hacker gang Rackham Crew claiming responsibility for the attacks. Rackham Crew has a megalomanic desire to control all the forums and information on the web, which they do by first gaining respectable member positions, then attacking by hacking the servers, eliminating the moderators, administrators, and influential members and then finally claiming victory. However, they only have enough skill to hack the forum if they are members - if they are permabanned they lose their power. They have stated that Debate Politics is their new target, and that they already have sent some of their blackhats to infiltrate the forum's most respected memberships.

Another hacker group, rivaled with Rackham, known as Black Bard, have claimed to also have infiltrated DP, but they are known for false alarms.

Unconfirmed rumors of a Psycho Hacker - a lone hacker who destroys websites and causes chaos for the immediate thrill - have spread.

The remaining moderators at DPF have declared martial law, preventing new members from joining and consulting with the other respected members to ban those who pose a threat, through consensus to achieve maximum knowledge. Will they succeed? Or will the hackers hijack yet another website?

The roles are found in the signup thread[

Rules:

1. Play nice. Do not call each other idiots, or jackasses, or anything of the sort. I want a user-friendly game. If someone is being an asshat, I may modkill him.

2. Post all votes in bold, with the user's full name. Bold it so I can see it, and put the users full name so I know who it is. If it does not meet those criteria I can ignore it at those discretion.

3. This game is a closed setup. I will not confirm any roles besides the Site Owner, I will not like any posts or reveal what roles are in the game

4. You must sign up before 9:00 P.M. July 5, Eastern Standard Time (New York; EMT - 5). Failure to do so may result in exclusion from the game.

5. Do not edit posts. I cannot look through the logfiles, so don't edit out anything significant.

Players:

Tucker Case
digsbe
Wake
Chaddelamancha
Solaris
Paschendale
The Mark
Ecofarm
X Factor
roughdraft274
VanceMack

Remember to sign up before 9 PM Eastern Standard Time tomorrow, and let the games begin!

Last edited:
Due to issues in RL, Digsbe has been, at his own request, removed from the game. He was a Neophyte aligned with Rackham.

All users confirmed. Let the games begin!

It is now Runtime 1

Also, if you have any questions, post them in bold as well.

I'm suspicious of Wake and SunshineBoy.

Another thing to keep in mind:

If you are not a player, do not post until the game has been declared ended by me.

Damn, I wanted to play this. :-(

Cool.

It's been awhile.

Now it's time to see how long Day 1 lasts...

So, Ecofarm, why the random suspicion of those two in particular? Just because?

Is hanging Wake first a bad tradition?

Is hanging Wake first a bad tradition?
Hanging (or in this case banning) anyone just because is probably a bad idea - I mean, this game is a bit smaller than the ones just prior, so we have less room for error...

But on the other hand, as usual we have no idea who is who, so we can only guess or hope someone slips up in a post on Day 1.

And waiting till someone slips up can take forever....and then there's the chance that someone says something which is misconstrued as a slip...

Time for my standard (and ever popular :2razz:) numbers insanity...

With Digsbe dropping due to RL issues, we have 10 players left.

-----------------
Tucker Case
digsbe - out due to RL issues, was Hacker Neophyte aligned with the Rackham Crew.
Wake
Chaddelamancha
Solaris
Paschendale
The Mark
Ecofarm
X Factor
roughdraft274
VanceMack
-----------------

Digsbe dropping means that either MadLib made someone else a hacker, or that one of the hacker teams is down a member.

Given the initial numbers, I'd guess 2 2-hacker teams vs 7 town (now with one down to a single hacker), or possibly (given the tone of Madlib's mention about the other possible hacker team) 1 3-hacker team vs 8 town (now 2 v 8).

Slightly less possible IMO are the combos of 2 3-hacker teams and 5 town, 1 4-hacker team and 7 town, or 1 2-hacker team, 1 3-hacker team, and 6 town.

Damn, I wanted to play this. :-(

There was a signup thread if you were interested. Guess you missed it.

Could you please not post in the thread anymore? Complicates the game unnecessarily.

Hanging (or in this case banning) anyone just because is probably a bad idea - I mean, this game is a bit smaller than the ones just prior, so we have less room for error...

But on the other hand, as usual we have no idea who is who, so we can only guess or hope someone slips up in a post on Day 1.

And waiting till someone slips up can take forever....and then there's the chance that someone says something which is misconstrued as a slip...

I don't believe much in a 'slip-up'. Day 1 is just text that might become useful after some information is gathered. IIRC, all previous 'slip-ups' causing a lynch have proven to be false alarms.

Given the initial numbers, I'd guess 2 2-hacker teams vs 7 town (now with one down to a single hacker), or possibly (given the tone of Madlib's mention about the other possible hacker team) 1 3-hacker team vs 8 town (now 2 v 8).

Slightly less possible IMO are the combos of 2 3-hacker teams and 5 town, 1 4-hacker team and 7 town, or 1 2-hacker team, 1 3-hacker team, and 6 town.

There could be a SK. All your maths are wrong. Anyway, there are 13 possible roles and 11 players. With 2 mafias, a SK, a Vig and a banning, we could be looking at 5 gone starting day 2. I think that if a second mafia exists, it's a solo. With a BP staff, a BP hacker and presumably a staff and a hacker doctor, it's not likely that all 4 night kills succeed and the SK and second mafia are thus confirmed. Three night kills means one or the other, at least.

I don't think speculating about numbers will get us anywhere. We can try to suss out what the night kills mean after they happen, rather than before.

In the meantime, Vote: RD, for posting, but having no content in that post.

I don't believe much in a 'slip-up'. Day 1 is just text that might become useful after some information is gathered. IIRC, all previous 'slip-ups' causing a lynch have proven to be false alarms.
True, true.

There could be a SK. All your maths are wrong. Anyway, there are 13 possible roles and 11 players. With 2 mafias, a SK, a Vig and a banning, we could be looking at 5 gone starting day 2. I think that if a second mafia exists, it's a solo. With a BP staff, a BP hacker and presumably a staff and a hacker doctor, it's not likely that all 4 night kills succeed and the SK and second mafia are thus confirmed. Three night kills means one or the other, at least.
Damn, I forgot about the SK...

But I doubt Madlib would make the game so heavily anti-town (or member, in this case)

Hell, we had issues with a 15ish-person game when there were too many night kills, and this is only a 10 person game (now).

Keep in mind that the roles listed in signup may or may not be in the game. I will neither confirm nor deny the existence of a role if someone brings it up.

I don't think speculating about numbers will get us anywhere. We can try to suss out what the night kills mean after they happen, rather than before. In the meantime, Vote: RD, for posting, but having no content in that post.
I'll call your bluff. VOTE: Paschendale. There's nothing wrong in trying to use numbers to find Scum; only Scum would shy away from that. You're voting for a stupid reason, and I suspect you're Digsbe's goon.

Pash always throws out a vote right away, wake.

But what I want to know is how the hell does posting "1 2 3 not it" qualify as using "numbers to find scum"?

But what I want to know is how the hell does posting "1 2 3 not it" qualify as using "numbers to find scum"?
It's not about his typical vote-throwing, but his diversion from us using numbers to find Scum. You may have misunderstood but RD just made a joking comment without speculating on numbers. No, I think Pasch was referring to Mark and Eco's crunching of numbers to find Scum. We should be laying a numbers framework as soon as possible to help Town; by discussing it mistakes are weeded out, like how Eco reminded Mark about the SK in the number factoring. Scum wouldn't want us to begin laying the mathematical groundwork, and instead would subtly influence us to not do that. I'm saying Pasch is scum not because of his typical Pasch playstyle, but his out-of-place reasoning for keeping us from using math to win. I'll call it right now. Pasch is Scum.

I don't think speculating about numbers will get us anywhere. We can try to suss out what the night kills mean after they happen, rather than before.

In the meantime, Vote: RD, for posting, but having no content in that post.

Lol, what kind of content do you expect in any of the very beginning posts?

Pash always throws out a vote right away, wake.

Apparently this is a regional thing. Saying "1 2 3 not it" is kind of a game around here. Last one to say not it has to be the one to do something or in a case like this, the last one would be mafia. It was a stupid joke...

It's not about his typical vote-throwing, but his diversion from us using numbers to find Scum. You may have misunderstood but RD just made a joking comment without speculating on numbers. No, I think Pasch was referring to Mark and Eco's crunching of numbers to find Scum. We should be laying a numbers framework as soon as possible to help Town; by discussing it mistakes are weeded out, like how Eco reminded Mark about the SK in the number factoring. Scum wouldn't want us to begin laying the mathematical groundwork, and instead would subtly influence us to not do that. I'm saying Pasch is scum not because of his typical Pasch playstyle, but his out-of-place reasoning for keeping us from using math to win. I'll call it right now. Pasch is Scum.

And let's note Tucker's (possibly unintentional) diversion/joke. Trying to use humor to throw off the scent of scum friends? That said, I am also suspicious of RD. Hell, I'm a bit suspicious of Mark (forgetting about the possible SK?). I'm suspicious of everyone who's posted except Wake. But, anyway, there's my order of concern.

ps. We can still hang Wake first if you guys want.

Lol, what kind of content do you expect in any of the very beginning posts?

I didn't expect anything, but I was getting the game started. It really doesn't begin until someone votes. I know you guys think it's weird that I vote right away, but that's actually the standard thing on every other site I've played on. You don't actually lynch anyone right away, obviously. But you need to vote to get reactions from people. Votes are a player actually taking a stance, which then leads to analysis.

Posting just to seem like you're not lurking but not really contributing is a recognized scum technique. However, we're also on page 3, so it's ludicrous to expect any such content. So the reason for such a vote is sound... but it's WAY too early to have enough to back it up. This wasn't a move to lynch you, just to get the ball rolling. And it seems to have worked.

Now, Wake's sudden attack is both interesting, and uninteresting. Interesting in that it's a much more intense attack than is warranted at this stage. There's a lot of zeal in it.

Uninteresting, in that everything about it is wrong. You can't "use math to win", as he puts it. We know that there could be two scum team. We know that there could be one scum team and an SK. We know that there could be just one scum team. But we have no way of knowing which! Or if there's And speculating on them now, with absolutely no information to go on, is a waste of time. On day 2, once night kills have actually happened, then we can try to suss out what sort of enemies we're looking at. For now, let's focus on finding one of them, and not lynching a townie.

Now, is Wake just gasping at nothing? Or is he trying to be super aggressive because he read "hacker" in his role RP and got excited?

Let me ask you this, Wake. Even if we knew exactly how many scum (and/or SKs) there were, how would that help us actually find them?

Back
Top Bottom