• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Themes Mafia Game #1

digsbe

Truth will set you free
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Thanks everyone who signed up! This is the official start of the game and day 1 has begun. If the last surviving player is town, then the town wins. If the last surviving player is Mafia, then the Mafia team(s) win. If the last surviving player is the vampire then the vampire wins. Best of luck! The same rules are in play along with a new one I added. Please do not like posts after your death/if you die. You may like posts when the game is over, but I do not want dead users liking posts in the thread as it may have influence.

This quaint medieval town has been at peace, but recently within the community there have been murders and rumors of vampires. The town's folk have begun suspecting their own of witchcraft, debauchery and living as the undead. To protect the innocent lives of townspeople a policy has been instituted that the majority shall vote to behead a fellow member of the community. This quaint town now finds itself torn apart by strife in the hopes that from among the conflict peace and prosperity will be allowed to take route again.

Also please note: If you are not playing please do not post, your post will be deleted and you will be thread banned.
Day 1 has begun

Starting players: (12)
Your Star
X Factor
missypea
The Mark
Wake
Paschendale
Chaddelamancha
Thorgasm
DiAnna
Tucker Case
MadLib
roughdraft274

Last edited:
Okay, let's get this game rolling.

Who is sparkling?

Alright, who has a Tim Burton poster on their wall? They are obviously the vampire.

I just want to get this on the first page so I don't have to keep referencing the sign-up thread:

Town:
Town gossip- this is the detective, they get the latest word on everyone and can reveal what role another player has during the night.
Town apothecary- this is the doctor, they may protect one member during the night.
Town executioner- This is the vigilante role, they may kill one user during the night.
Town noble- This is a new role that I've created. The noble may cast two votes. One vote will be PMed to me during the night and that vote will be anonymously applied during the following day, they may also have their regular vote to have another user beheaded (we will be beheading in this game, not lynching).
Town priest- can role block another player during the night.
Town members- Normal town members who may vote, but have no special powers.

Dark Mages (Mafia team 1)
Dark medium- This is the detective. They have the ability to preform the team kill or find out the role of another player during the night.
Necromancer- This is the team doctor. They may protect the life of another user during the night (or possibly ressurect them after they die, whatever fits your imagination best) or preform the team kill.
Dark witch- This is the role blocker. The witch may curse another player and role block them or preform the team kill.

Mercenaries (Mafia team 2)
Rogue- This is the detective. They may preform the team kill or act as a rogue and discover the role of another player.
Exiled Paladin- This is the team doctor. They may protect another user or preform the team kill at night.
Hunter- Lays traps and masters in archery. can role block one user during the night or preform the team kill.

Other
The Vampire- This is the town serial killer. They play solo and will win if they are the last standing player.

So there's 12 power and scum roles, and 12 players. So obviously not all the power and scum roles are in use. I wonder if we are afflicted with the dark mages, the mercs, or both? And what about the towns power roles? I doubt we have all of them in play, there should be at least a few vanilla members of the fiefdom.

Unlike last time I played, I'm sticking to the no lynch idea unless someone is obviously scum (or is it scumeth for this game?). the only people who argue against it always turn out to be scum (or scumeth for this game).

Unlike last time I played, I'm sticking to the no lynch idea unless someone is obviously scum (or is it scumeth for this game?). the only people who argue against it always turn out to be scum (or scumeth for this game).

I wasn't. And I still argue that no lynch is bad because it robs people of important information.

As to this game, I'm going to wear some garlic around my neck for a while so nobody bites me. Someone call Buffy to come and save us!

I wasn't. And I still argue that no lynch is bad because it robs people of important information.

As to this game, I'm going to wear some garlic around my neck for a while so nobody bites me. Someone call Buffy to come and save us!

No lynch is always a bad choice for townies.

After having played the game once, I no longer consider voting information to be very useful. A smart scumbag will just vote for their partner when it's clear that there is no chance of rescuing them, so that they don't fall under suspicion, too.

After having played the game once, I no longer consider voting information to be very useful. A smart scumbag will just vote for their partner when it's clear that there is no chance of rescuing them, so that they don't fall under suspicion, too.

I think voting information is a little useful but the conversation that takes place prior to voting can be helpful, except early in the game. The early votes are only helpful later in the game when you're drawing conclusions.
Too many Town are guessing and too many Mafia are plotting. It's hard to differentiate early on.

I think voting information is a little useful but the conversation that takes place prior to voting can be helpful, except early in the game. The early votes are only helpful later in the game when you're drawing conclusions.
Too many Town are guessing and too many Mafia are plotting. It's hard to differentiate early on.

The conversation will exist either way because the mafia will try to get a townie lynched since it is in their favor mathematically. Even a no lynch vote creates discussion and it probably gives away even more valuable information than randomly voting for what would likely be a townie would

Last edited:
The conversation will exist either way because the mafia will try to get a townie lynched since it is in their favor mathematically. Even a no lynch vote creates discussion and it probably gives away even more valuable information than randomly voting for what would likely be a townie would

And yet voting no lynch means no one argues about any specific people. And if you then don't lynch, you have no concrete information to go on afterwards. After one or two people joke vote, they have to either retract their votes, or decide to justify them. Then everyone has to vote for real, and back up their decisions. Only the first couple of votes are random. The rest are informed. And then, when the smoke clears and someone is dead, you know for sure who was correct and who wasn't. And if the flip was town, you look at who made flimsy or no arguments, and go after them. If the flip was scum, you look at who defended them. Either way, it's the only way you have complete information to go on.

Right now, given how all of the last several threads involved people explaining patiently that no lynching is really really really stupid, and how it really hurts town, the only conclusion I can draw from all this is that you probably know this and are scum yourself.

Vote: Tucker

And look, even the first vote isn't random. It probably won't stick once other people start talking and someone else does something even more anti-town than your actions, but at very least, it disproves your point about first day votes being random. They're not.

And yet voting no lynch means no one argues about any specific people. And if you then don't lynch, you have no concrete information to go on afterwards. After one or two people joke vote, they have to either retract their votes, or decide to justify them. Then everyone has to vote for real, and back up their decisions. Only the first couple of votes are random. The rest are informed. And then, when the smoke clears and someone is dead, you know for sure who was correct and who wasn't. And if the flip was town, you look at who made flimsy or no arguments, and go after them. If the flip was scum, you look at who defended them. Either way, it's the only way you have complete information to go on.

Right now, given how all of the last several threads involved people explaining patiently that no lynching is really really really stupid, and how it really hurts town, the only conclusion I can draw from all this is that you probably know this and are scum yourself.

Vote: Tucker

And look, even the first vote isn't random. It probably won't stick once other people start talking and someone else does something even more anti-town than your actions, but at very least, it disproves your point about first day votes being random. They're not.

The problem with your assessment is that people will argue for specific people. Scum will. as they try to get the townies to **** themselves, yet again, by lynching one of their own. You seem to forget that all of those people who have patiently explained why no lynch is bad have been mafia. We're having a discussion about it right now, and instead of being rational, you immediately call me out for lynching. There's information right there. **** the math, **** any actual logical thought. Just go straight at someone and try to get them lynched. That's what scum wants.

Frankly, I don't give a **** how many peopel have argued that no lynch is bad for townies because I know that it's been primarily driven by scum. Even more importantly, I know that a first day lynching has never gotten scum and has always depleted the town. There's no benefit to making it statistically less likely that you'll win.

Both sides have argued that no lynch is bad.

I think the inaccuaracy that Tucker is proposing is suspicious.

I'm not going to vote no lynch right now but I will definitely vote that way if I'm not certain on someone. The last couple of games, the most ardent people that were screaming that we have to lynch people were mafia. If you have a three person mafia team and 12 players, there is a 75% chance of voting off either a townie or another mafia team. It's in their interest to always vote out a person. For the town, it's in our interest to discuss the game, and if we have someone that is sticking out as mafia, vote for them, if not, let's not cut ourselves down with a guess.

Can anyone think of a single time in any of the games where someone argued for a no vote and they turned out to be mafia? Cause I can't. Most of the times, mafia jump on the "oh my god we have to vote someone!" band wagon to act like they are town. Dianna did a great job of that last game.

For those not wanting to lynch anyone on day 1, before you vote no lynch, at least allow alot of discussion first, accuse some people, see how they react. That way we have more information even if we decide not to kill anyone.

I'm sorry, but anyone that is mafia clearly wants a lynch on day 1. It is in their benifit. That doesn't mean that it isn't in the towns favor, but statistically it is even better for the mafia since there is such a low chance of them getting a person on their team killed.

Both sides have argued that no lynch is bad.

I think the inaccuaracy that Tucker is proposing is suspicious.

I was only in one game and DiAnna was the biggest opponent of no lynch there, and she was mafia. Teh driving force fo rthis is that it benefit sthe mafia. that some townies are suckered into believing the lie doens't change the fact that it is a lie.

Just look at the 4 games that Victor has run. In all four the town was harmed by a first day lynch. Town power roles that got taken out as well. How the **** can that possibly benefit town? The arguments against no lynch blow, quite frankly. The best one is pash's and even that one is a load of crap because the mafia that understand that no lynch only benefits town will still push for a lynching while tricking people into believing they are doing it for the mythical benefit of the town.

A no lynch vote on the first day benefits the town far more than lynching one of their own will (which is the likely outcome, as evidenced by the fact that it never seems to work out otherwise). And there's a good chance that we can take out one of our own power roles, which is absurdly stupid and puts us way behind.

Anyone can go back and look at the games Just look at how each and every one of them has a townie getting lynched on day one. I'll let those numbers do teh talking.

I was only in one game and DiAnna was the biggest opponent of no lynch there, and she was mafia. Teh driving force fo rthis is that it benefit sthe mafia. that some townies are suckered into believing the lie doens't change the fact that it is a lie.

Just look at the 4 games that Victor has run. In all four the town was harmed by a first day lynch. Town power roles that got taken out as well. How the **** can that possibly benefit town? The arguments against no lynch blow, quite frankly. The best one is pash's and even that one is a load of crap because the mafia that understand that no lynch only benefits town will still push for a lynching while tricking people into believing they are doing it for the mythical benefit of the town.

A no lynch vote on the first day benefits the town far more than lynching one of their own will (which is the likely outcome, as evidenced by the fact that it never seems to work out otherwise). And there's a good chance that we can take out one of our own power roles, which is absurdly stupid and puts us way behind.

Anyone can go back and look at the games Just look at how each and every one of them has a townie getting lynched on day one. I'll let those numbers do teh talking.

True, town has been unlucky four times in a row. If we ever get lucky, it will be a huge advantage. The previous four games have no bearing on this game.

DiAnna was staying in character in the last game. When she was town she also argued against no lynch. It's all a gamble really.

Having been a Townie in all but one game, I'll say the feeling for no lynch was different was I was mafia.

As a Townie, I'm a little anxious about that first vote......unless there's someone who's really annoying who isn't really playing. I don't mind lynching them so much because typically, they aren't helpful in the game.

As a Mafia, I wasn't anxious at all. I knew that I had a bunch of people to throw suspicion on and with some team play of my partners we could divert suspicion away from our Mafia team for the first few votes.

Basically what I'm saying is that I've re-thought my position on the no-lynch vote. I'm not convinced it's the best move but I'm looking at it differently now that I've played on the other side.

True, town has been unlucky four times in a row. If we ever get lucky, it will be a huge advantage. The previous four games have no bearing on this game.

DiAnna was staying in character in the last game. When she was town she also argued against no lynch. It's all a gamble really.

Not unlucky, statistically likely. Unlucky is when the odds are in your favor and they turn on you, sort of like having pocket aces against seven deuce off suit and managing to lose an all-in pre-flop bet against it.

With first-day lynching, we are attempting to fill an inside straight against a flush. by having it turn out as it is styatistically likely to turn out is simply failing to get lucky.

And the so-called "huge-advantage" isn't really all that big. There are two mafia teams. Taking out one person in one of those teams (what would happen if we manage to defy the odds and get lucky) only slightly increases our chances of winning. The mafia teams are pitted against each other as well as the town. They know the odds of one of their guys getting whacked are small. Smaller even than the odds of a mafia member being whacked in general.

So if we managed to blindly knock out a single scumeth bageth (getting back into the theme of this particular game), we still have at least one full team to contend with... a team that we just helped.

That's the other factor of the equation that everyone seems to overlook. The mafia teams are competing with each other as well. The real huge advantage goes to the mafia team that didn't have a member killed if we manage to get lucky.

And if the more likely situation occurs, and we kill a fellow townie, we run the far, far bigger risk of killing off one of our power role players. That becomes an massive disadvantage. Even greater than simply killing off a vanilla townie would be.

So what we are essentially doing is trying to gain a relatively small advantage while risking a great deal. It's like risking $1,000 to win $50 when the odds are in favor of the guy risking $50.

I don't mind gambling, but I hate making stupid, losing bets.

Having been a Townie in all but one game, I'll say the feeling for no lynch was different was I was mafia.

As a Townie, I'm a little anxious about that first vote......unless there's someone who's really annoying who isn't really playing. I don't mind lynching them so much because typically, they aren't helpful in the game.

As a Mafia, I wasn't anxious at all. I knew that I had a bunch of people to throw suspicion on and with some team play of my partners we could divert suspicion away from our Mafia team for the first few votes.

Basically what I'm saying is that I've re-thought my position on the no-lynch vote. I'm not convinced it's the best move but I'm looking at it differently now that I've played on the other side.

Because you have supporters that know who you are and can try to protect you by pointing out other "suspicious" people. That's part of what swings the odds much farther in mafia's favor than a simple statistical analysis can explain. It's why the first lynch consistently goes townie. Townies are clueless about who their fellow townies are so they end up doing the work for the scum by bickering amongst themselves.

It makes no sense to lynch someone on the first day.

Vote: No Lynch

Not unlucky, statistically likely. Unlucky is when the odds are in your favor and they turn on you, sort of like having pocket aces against seven deuce off suit and managing to lose an all-in pre-flop bet against it.

With first-day lynching, we are attempting to fill an inside straight against a flush. by having it turn out as it is styatistically likely to turn out is simply failing to get lucky.

And the so-called "huge-advantage" isn't really all that big. There are two mafia teams. Taking out one person in one of those teams (what would happen if we manage to defy the odds and get lucky) only slightly increases our chances of winning. The mafia teams are pitted against each other as well as the town. They know the odds of one of their guys getting whacked are small. Smaller even than the odds of a mafia member being whacked in general.

So if we managed to blindly knock out a single scumeth bageth (getting back into the theme of this particular game), we still have at least one full team to contend with... a team that we just helped.

That's the other factor of the equation that everyone seems to overlook. The mafia teams are competing with each other as well. The real huge advantage goes to the mafia team that didn't have a member killed if we manage to get lucky.

And if the more likely situation occurs, and we kill a fellow townie, we run the far, far bigger risk of killing off one of our power role players. That becomes an massive disadvantage. Even greater than simply killing off a vanilla townie would be.

So what we are essentially doing is trying to gain a relatively small advantage while risking a great deal. It's like risking $1,000 to win $50 when the odds are in favor of the guy risking $50.

I don't mind gambling, but I hate making stupid, losing bets.

How do we know there are two mafia teams? We don't have 15 players. Digsbe left it open to possibility, but it's not a sure thing. In fact, if there are two mafias, either they have 3 members each and are even strength against town or they have two members each which is an advantage to town.

Back
Top Bottom