• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Their shields have our backs.

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
image.jpgAs angry as we get at the actions of very few, we should realize we cant have a civilized society without them. How would you like to be a cop this morning? Only thing missing when you get dressed is the target on your back.

View attachment 67203882As angry as we get at the actions of very few, we should realize we cant have a civilized society without them. How would you like to be a cop this morning? Only thing missing when you get dressed is the target on your back.

Yep. The cop community is just like any other, there are bound to be a few bad apples. But the vast majority of cops are good people who do a thankless job keeping us safe.

Blue lives matter.

The problems with the police are not just a few bad apples. It is systemic. But the individuals that make up the Force are just regular people like the rest of us. They have fears and wants and families that love them. And they don't deserve to be murdered.

View attachment 67203882As angry as we get at the actions of very few, we should realize we cant have a civilized society without them. How would you like to be a cop this morning? Only thing missing when you get dressed is the target on your back.

I have a very close friend who is a deputy sheriff currently serving warrants and subpoenas every day. Every day she goes to work facing pissed off people. Every day she has a likelihood of not coming home.

She has to be more worried this morning than usual. My guess she is less likely to give someone some slack.

Killing cops is stupid.

The problem is that this was not really very surprising. As a matter of fact, the number of visible beatings and killings made violence against the state increasingly probable to the point that one had to wonder why nothing had happened for so long. A society that looses its legitimacy before a large minority, whose members have to be afraid every time they see a police officer has a catastrophe waiting to happen. But we went on talking about longer prison sentences, restricting guns, transgender toilets and such stuff. We will be lucky, if the killing ends here and no terrorist like movement comes about.

The problem is that this was not really very surprising. As a matter of fact, the number of visible beatings and killings made violence against the state increasingly probable to the point that one had to wonder why nothing had happened for so long. A society that looses its legitimacy before a large minority, whose members have to be afraid every time they see a police officer has a catastrophe waiting to happen. But we went on talking about longer prison sentences, restricting guns, transgender toilets and such stuff. We will be lucky, if the killing ends here and no terrorist like movement comes about.

I agree. The crazies now have a model.

You may not like what I have to say on this. But this is brought on in part by themselves by their actions. I am not saying all police are bad, I am saying they ARE complicit in the predicament they find themselves. The thin blue line mentality needs to go it has no place in American policing. They need help themselves by actually realizing it is NOT JUST THEIR LIVES in danger during stops. They need to really look at the people they hire into their ranks. They need to stop trying to circumvent peoples rights and actually protect them and enforce them.

The problems with the police are not just a few bad apples. It is systemic. But the individuals that make up the Force are just regular people like the rest of us. They have fears and wants and families that love them. And they don't deserve to be murdered.

Well said. I would add one caveat the individuals need to take their oaths far more seriously and take action when they see wrong doing amongst their ranks. If they are to be our paladins they must act the part.

That's the problem these morons don't seem to understand math, every single incident becomes national news and people thinks it's happening all the time everywhere. However in reality there are only a tiny number of incidents and they are way out of the norm. And even when they are justified shootings these people still riot and burn down thier own communities.

Well said. I would add one caveat the individuals need to take their oaths far more seriously and take action when they see wrong doing amongst their ranks. If they are to be our paladins they must act the part.

I agree, the code of silence has to go. One of the problems with shootings like this, however, is it will just cause the police to close ranks even more and increase the "us vs them" mentality. Which will create a more hostile public. And around and around we go.

That's the problem these morons don't seem to understand math, every single incident becomes national news and people thinks it's happening all the time everywhere. However in reality there are only a tiny number of incidents and they are way out of the norm. And even when they are justified shootings these people still riot and burn down thier own communities.

True or untrue doesn't make much way, when you have lost the spin of the argument. And the police seem to be losing that spin.

You may not like what I have to say on this. But this is brought on in part by themselves by their actions. I am not saying all police are bad, I am saying they ARE complicit in the predicament they find themselves. The thin blue line mentality needs to go it has no place in American policing. They need help themselves by actually realizing it is NOT JUST THEIR LIVES in danger during stops. They need to really look at the people they hire into their ranks. They need to stop trying to circumvent peoples rights and actually protect them and enforce them.

I dont disagree with much after your first two sentences. As to that Thin Blue Line, i think that's a normal extension of their job. Their loyalty to each other. One would think they would want to weed out those who perform with gross negligence as much as the rest of us would.

I was thinking about that band of brothers line and wondering how one would combat it. I think it would come with better training emphasizing PRIDE in service. Perhaps rewarding it more. Asking for positive citizen input and recognizing same. And passing some legislation that would make it a felony to intentionally falsify a police report. Much like it's against the law to lie to the FBI.

Yep. The cop community is just like any other, there are bound to be a few bad apples. But the vast majority of cops are good people who do a thankless job keeping us safe.
It is systemic, but I can go along with the "few bad apples" argument, for the most part, as I believe most cops are good otherwise. That being said, being good otherwise is not enough. The good cops need to stop protecting the few bad apples and start actively rooting them out. By not rooting them out they are contributing to the anger and resentment and are actually putting a target on their own backs.

There are, on average, 1,800 Police dispatched calls PER DAY, in the city I live in here in Southern California. That number does not include contact with the Public while on routine patrol. There are areas/apartment buildings in the city I live in the Police will not enter without backup, regardless of the reason they are asked to enter them. Shootings, assaults, robberies, and other crimes are routine occurrences.

I won't comment on Police shootings, because the issue and need for response is self evident. However, the use of them to create social unrest is by design, and is being promoted. The people are being used as tools, and they don't realize it.

Unjustified use of force can be dealt with rather quickly.

The monster that is being stirred up in the population is far, far, more dangerous. And the promoters of it are counting on that.

I agree, the code of silence has to go. One of the problems with shootings like this, however, is it will just cause the police to close ranks even more and increase the "us vs them" mentality. Which will create a more hostile public. And around and around we go.

I dont know...

I went out to Dunkin Donuts this morning and bought a $70 gift card for my local police. Stopped in at the station and simply said, "This is to let ya'all know there's a whole bunch of people in town wishing you well." I was anonymous. And left. In the parking lot, a cop with brass exited the Police Only door, came trotting over and said, You have no idea what this means to us. Thank you." He was all misty-eyed. OMG, it felt sooo good. A little kindness to cops right now could go a long way.

Okay, sappy to follow... If your town PD has a Facebook page, how much trouble would it be to post some support? No trouble at all.

I dont know...

I went out to Dunkin Donuts this morning and bought a $70 gift card for my local police. Stopped in at the station and simply said, "This is to let ya'all know there's a whole bunch of people in town wishing you well." I was anonymous. And left. In the parking lot, a cop with brass exited the Police Only door, came trotting over and said, You have no idea what this means to us. Thank you." He was all misty-eyed. OMG, it felt sooo good. A little kindness to cops right now could go a long way.

Okay, sappy to follow... If your town PD has a Facebook page, how much trouble would it be to post some support? No trouble at all.

That's so nice of you, Maggie. :)

This. ^^

We also need to invest more in better training as well so they are better equipped to handle difficult situations. We'd all rather have new stadiums and arenas though, ya know.

There are, on average, 1,800 Police dispatched calls PER DAY, in the city I live in here in Southern California. That number does not include contact with the Public while on routine patrol. There are areas/apartment buildings in the city I live in the Police will not enter without backup, regardless of the reason they are asked to enter them. Shootings, assaults, robberies, and other crimes are routine occurrences.

I won't comment on Police shootings, because the issue and need for response is self evident. However, the use of them to create social unrest is by design, and is being promoted. The people are being used as tools, and they don't realize it.

Unjustified use of force can be dealt with rather quickly.

The monster that is being stirred up in the population is far, far, more dangerous. And the promoters of it are counting on that.

Ominous. Yet believable. Rich against not rich . . . Black against white . . . Corporations against the rest of us . . .

It is systemic, but I can go along with the "few bad apples" argument, for the most part, as I believe most cops are good otherwise. That being said, being good otherwise is not enough. The good cops need to stop protecting the few bad apples and start actively rooting them out. By not rooting them out they are contributing to the anger and resentment and are actually putting a target on their own backs.

In my personal view, if cop A looks the other way when cop B abuses his power, then cop A is also a bad cop. He may very well be a good person in all other aspects of his life, but he is a bad cop. And I don't for one second think I would be any better in cop A's position. The system makes it next to impossible for cops to do the right thing without ruining their career or being ostracized by the very people you count on to watch your back. I know the problem. But I have no answers.

For BLM and other anti-law enforcement groups, this incident is most likely going to mean that their protest marches are more likely to not get police protection. If I was a Chief of Police, I'd tell them that they need to hire their own security and give them the rules they are to follow, but I wouldn't put my officers into that kind of situation.

True or untrue doesn't make much way, when you have lost the spin of the argument. And the police seem to be losing that spin.

Yes and when police start quitting a crime goes up, we will have a Trump-like president and probably another civil war.

If only it really was just "the action of very few". However, we have seen entire police forces deeply involved in brutality, corruption and discrimination and while these "very few" engage in widespread criminal behavior, the many "good cops" do nothing and say nothing about it.

I dont know...

Nice job. You are a good person. :)

I agree a little kindness and consideration goes a long way, but I believe it needs to go in both directions. There was no legitimate reason for these five officers to be killed as they were doing nothing egregious at the moment. On the flip side, there are times when the police kill someone who was doing nothing to warrant it, either, and in those instances we need to have rational and reasonable heads and call it out and show support for the victims and/or their families. Too many people are either "pro-police-all-the-time-no-matter-what" or "anti-police-all-the-time-no-matter-what", and that myopic garbage doesn't help.

Back
Top Bottom