• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Their mom died of COVID. They say conspiracy theories are what really killed her

Fledermaus

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Peoples Republic of California AKA Taxifornia
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

Their mom died of COVID. They say conspiracy theories are what really killed her​

Stephanie was 75 when she succumbed to COVID-19 this past December. But Laurie says it wasn't just COVID that killed her mother. In the years leading up to her death, Stephanie had become embroiled in conspiracy theories. Her belief in those far-out ideas caused her to avoid vaccination and led her to delay and even refuse some of the most effective treatments after she got sick.

"I don't believe she was supposed to die," Laurie says. "I blame the misinformation."

As America approaches a million deaths from COVID-19, many thousands of families have been left wondering whether available treatments and vaccines could have saved their loved ones. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, more than 230,000 deaths could have been avoided if individuals had gotten vaccinated.

Not everyone who refuses a vaccine believes in elaborate conspiracy theories, but many likely do. Anti-vaccine advocates have leveraged the pandemic to sow mistrust and fear about the vaccines. Local papers across the country are dotted with stories of those who refused vaccination, only to find themselves fighting for their very lives against the disease.

But she refused to get tested. Instead, she ordered drugs online from a natural healer in Florida. Two of the drugs, ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine, are ineffective against COVID, but many conspiracy theorists believe they work. Stephanie waited for the pills to come.

"She was waiting for the pills and I said, 'Why wait? You could go to the doctor right now. You have amazing health insurance. You don't have to wait,'" Laurie says.

So if someone believes in conspiracy theories they have no responsibility about their actions?

Their mom died of COVID. They say conspiracy theories are what really killed her​

Stephanie was 75 when she succumbed to COVID-19 this past December. But Laurie says it wasn't just COVID that killed her mother. In the years leading up to her death, Stephanie had become embroiled in conspiracy theories. Her belief in those far-out ideas caused her to avoid vaccination and led her to delay and even refuse some of the most effective treatments after she got sick.

"I don't believe she was supposed to die," Laurie says. "I blame the misinformation."

As America approaches a million deaths from COVID-19, many thousands of families have been left wondering whether available treatments and vaccines could have saved their loved ones. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, more than 230,000 deaths could have been avoided if individuals had gotten vaccinated.

Not everyone who refuses a vaccine believes in elaborate conspiracy theories, but many likely do. Anti-vaccine advocates have leveraged the pandemic to sow mistrust and fear about the vaccines. Local papers across the country are dotted with stories of those who refused vaccination, only to find themselves fighting for their very lives against the disease.

But she refused to get tested. Instead, she ordered drugs online from a natural healer in Florida. Two of the drugs, ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine, are ineffective against COVID, but many conspiracy theorists believe they work. Stephanie waited for the pills to come.

"She was waiting for the pills and I said, 'Why wait? You could go to the doctor right now. You have amazing health insurance. You don't have to wait,'" Laurie says.

Conservative disinformation killed hundreds of thousands of people. The only saving thing is they were mostly conspiracy theory republican voting whack-jobs. Hard road for their loved ones like the lady's kids, but better for the rest of us.

People will try to blame anything. Yes, their mother's embracing in the conspiracy theories made her reject science and vaccines, but ultimately, it is on their mother to pick and choose information.

Sad, but not surprising.

Stupidity kills. It's that simple.

Pre-covid....we saw multiple patients in ICU with flu - family pushed for these people not to get flu shots because it would give them the flu. These were severely at risk individuals that chose to believe their not at risk family members over their doctors. One lying (or at best undereducated) family member with a "story" trumps a doctor. Color me unsuprised that people are gullible enough to believe random assholes over the internet over their own doctor.

So if someone believes in conspiracy theories they have no responsibility about their actions?
They do.

That said, who are the people/groups who stood to gain from the gullibility of these people?

They do.

That said, who are the people/groups who stood to gain from the gullibility of these people?
This is exactly it right now it has been a seamless transition from vaccines to wokeness. Vaccines? I never said anything about vaccines I never posted 100 threads from the gateway pundit and zero hedge about “fascist Fauci”! Sure people want universal healthcare but we can’t afford it because this country is so far in debt due to the border being open and we can’t allow Biden to open the border and I don’t understand how the border has been open but he’s going to open the border… holding two contradictory statements to be true at the same time and not spontaneously combusting is a super power reserved for the alt-right.

This is exactly it right now it has been a seamless transition from vaccines to wokeness. Vaccines? I never said anything about vaccines I never posted 100 threads from the gateway pundit and zero hedge about “fascist Fauci”! Sure people want universal healthcare but we can’t afford it because this country is so far in debt due to the border being open and we can’t allow Biden to open the border and I don’t understand how the border has been open but he’s going to open the border… holding two contradictory statements to be true at the same time and not spontaneously combusting is a super power reserved for the alt-right.

I'm guessing you might have meant "a seamless transition from (anti) vaccines to (crusades against) wokeness"...but I could be wrong. ;)

I'm guessing you might have meant "a seamless transition from (anti) vaccines to (crusades against) wokeness"...but I could be wrong. ;)
The GOP controls the conversation apparently. So I don't know anybody who deeply cares about women's sports but suddenly the government is on a crusade to save women's sports! And nobody cares about "racist baby" but ted cruz was sharp enough to realize that Biden's nominee for the SC was on the board of a committee that advised a school that had a list of books you could choose to purchase if you wanted called RACIST BABY. I'm so mad that people are reading racist baby and I refuse to get the vaccine because it mutates my DNA or was that last year I forgot what I'm supposed to think

They are responsible for their actions. And people who spread misinformation and conspiracy theories are also responsible for their actions as well. Everyone who spread misinformation about the danger of the COVID vaccine to this woman shares in some responsibility for her death, and for the deaths of thousands of others who believed these falsehoods to their detriment.

Clearly. If some brain-dead idiot is wandering around coughing on people because he/she believes Covid is a hoax or is some bizarre conspiracy involving Bill Gates, explain where their responsibility exists. I can't believe you're actually asking the question...
They deserved nothing less than a jail sentence for deliberately compromising the health and lives of others.

Last edited:
Would you agree the less deplorable‘s the less disinformation going around? The less likely someone will come across this crap.

And the covidiots and maskholes wonder why normal people believe that "cancel culture" is needed to control the idiots spewing misinformation.

And the covidiots and maskholes wonder why normal people believe that "cancel culture" is needed to control the idiots spewing misinformation.
Just like they wonder why mandates are needed. They bring all of this upon themselves due to their ognorance,

I remember 10 plus years back Republicans were crying about "death panels".

Who needs death panels when you have Conspiracy Theorists sealing the deal.
"Death panels" have nothing to do with COVID conspiracies.

Back
Top Bottom