• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The writer of Genesis 1:29 ignored there are plants that can't be eaten

Valery

Reaction score
The writer(s) of Genesis in chapter 1 verse 29, ignored the fact that there are plants we humans can't eat from.

"And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food." [Genesis 1:29]

Here are two other translations of the same verse:

"Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."

"And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food."

At that time, in the garden of Eden, perhaps there were no poisonous plants...it is a known fact that plants change and mutate, as needed, to adapt to their environment, just as animals and humans do...

The writer(s) of Genesis in chapter 1 verse 29, ignored the fact that there are plants we humans can't eat from.

"And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food." [Genesis 1:29]

"Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it.
They will be yours for food."

"And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food."
:rolleyes:

Lol. Read it again! He's talking about giving mankind plants that can be eaten! Why? THEY WILL BE FOR........FOOD!
It says so from your quote!

"Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it.
They will be yours for food."

He's talking about giving what needs - food - for mankind to live on!

Lol, if He's talking about plants that will be for food - why on earth will he bring up something irrelevant as plants that can't be eaten?
Unlike you, He doesn't give irrelevant information! :ROFLMAO:

Do you really think Genesis 1 gives ALL THE INFORMATION?
Hello Valery - Genesis 1 is just some sort of a summary!
It's not a blow-by-blow account!

There are people who nit pick the Bible?

I'm surprised.

At that time, in the garden of Eden, perhaps there were no poisonous plants...it is a known fact that plants change and mutate, as needed, to adapt to their environment, just as animals and humans do...
"on the face of the whole earth"

And how would you know there to be a limit to God's words like that?
It wasn't called paradise for no reason and it was designated to Adam and Eve to make the whole earth a paradise...

The three terms (Hebrew par·desʹ, Persian pairidaeza, and Greek pa·raʹdei·sos), however, all convey the basic idea of a beautiful park or parklike garden. The first such park was that made by man’s Creator, Jehovah God, in Eden. (Ge 2:8, 9, 15) It is called a gan, or “garden,” in Hebrew but was obviously parklike in size and nature. The Greek Septuagint appropriately uses the term pa·raʹdei·sos with reference to that garden.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200003377

Lol, if He's talking about plants that will be for food - why on earth will he bring up something irrelevant as plants that can't be eaten?
Unlike you, He doesn't give irrelevant information! :ROFLMAO:

Do you really think Genesis 1 gives ALL THE INFORMATION?
Hello Valery - Genesis 1 is just some sort of a summary!
It's not a blow-by-blow account!
It does say "every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."

This can't be excused by Him "not giving irrelevant information". This is false information.

It wasn't called paradise for no reason and it was designated to Adam and Eve to make the whole earth a paradise...

The three terms (Hebrew par·desʹ, Persian pairidaeza, and Greek pa·raʹdei·sos), however, all convey the basic idea of a beautiful park or parklike garden. The first such park was that made by man’s Creator, Jehovah God, in Eden. (Ge 2:8, 9, 15) It is called a gan, or “garden,” in Hebrew but was obviously parklike in size and nature. The Greek Septuagint appropriately uses the term pa·raʹdei·sos with reference to that garden.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200003377
And Genesis 9:2-3 — do they also refer only to living and moving creatures at that time?

Gen. 9:2 "The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands."

Gen. 9:3 "Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Genesis 1 & 2 are not literal history; they have nothing to do with HOW; they are concerned with WHY. Why do things exist? because God purposed them.

Genesis 1 & 2 are not literal history; they have nothing to do with HOW; they are concerned with WHY. Why do things exist? because God purposed them.
How do you know?
And how about Genesis 9?
And Genesis 9:2-3 — do they also refer only to living and moving creatures at that time?

Gen. 9:2 "The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands."

Gen. 9:3 "Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

It does say "every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."

This can't be excused by Him "not giving irrelevant information". This is false information.

So what?
That doesn't make it false information!
But, it does say that you haven't used critical thinking on the "issue" - which is actually a non-issue IF you understand what you read!

Like I've said, not all information are spelled out in the Bible.
Since the first couple has to be fed - surely that could be why He's created all seed-bearing trees for food!
They didn't eat meat at that time.

He did warn them about that one particular tree, right? He said not to eat from it!
Therefore, we can assume that there were no other poisonous seed-bearing plants BEFORE the fall!

Things had dramatically changed
AFTER THE FALL!

Genesis 3

17 To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’

“Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.

18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.

19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food

until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.”

See? There weren't even any thorns and thistles BEFORE the fall!
No need to exert any effort at all than just picking what they wanted to eat during that time!

After the fall, life became really hard.
Should we think, "by the sweat of your brow," means only physical labor?
Man, we're talking survival here!
Man has become prey to certain animals, too! Not to mention dealing with threats from the forces of nature!
Their lives had practically turned UPSIDE DOWN! :)
I suppose, the dangers from poisonous plants had emerged too! They learned somehow that not every plants were friendly.
Perhaps, they learned when they had stomach cramps - or, the runs!

Sorry Val, but I find your petty nitpicking so................juvenile.
You obviously haven't contemplated and given it some thought.

Reading/understanding the Bible, isn't as simple like reading Dick and Jane.
Thus, there is such a thing called Bible Study.

Last edited:

:oops:

Gensis 9 happened LOOOOOOOOONG AFTER THE FALL! :p

Genesis 9
God’s Covenant With Noah
9 Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth.
2 The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands.

3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Genesis 9 is............................................. God's Covenant with Noah!

Hey Val......are you doing some Scriptural butchery? :ROFLMAO:

On what basis would it be false information?

On what basis would it be false information?
Because it didn't mean every plant. If you'd like to accept what they say about it being before the fall, that still leaves a similar verse in Gen. 9, which would require that there also were no moving and living creatures that they could not eat.

Because it didn't mean every plant. If you'd like to accept what they say about it being before the fall, that still leaves a similar verse in Gen. 9, which would require that there also were no moving and living creatures that they could not eat.

It's not false information!
Even if they were still vegetarians after the fall, it still does not make it false!

Poisonous plants could have emerged at anytime AFTER THE FALL!

We know that thorns and thistles came about after the fall - why not poisonous plants?
After all, the idea was to punish them and make life hard for them!

What Adam and Eve could do on their first day and what they could do hundreds of years later were not necessarily the same, of course. Read all of Chapter 9.

Gensis 9 happened LOOOOOOOOONG AFTER THE FALL!
Precisely. Therefore you can't say it was Eden before the fall and that's why they could eat everything (from the whole earth — note:

"The garden in which our first parents dewlt ( Genesis 2:8-17 ). No geographical question has been so much discussed as that bearing on its site. It has been placed in Armenia, in the region west of the Caspian Sea, in Media, near Damascus, in Palestine, in Southern Arabia, and in Babylonia. The site must undoubtedly be sought for somewhere along the course of the great streams the Tigris and the Euphrates of Western Asia, in "the land of Shinar" or Babylonia. The region from about lat. 33 degrees 30' to lat. 31 degrees, which is a very rich and fertile tract, has been by the most competent authorities agreed on as the probable site of Eden. "It is a region where streams abound, where they divide and re-unite, where alone in the Mesopotamian tract can be found the phenomenon of a single river parting into four arms, each of which is or has been a river of consequence.""(...)

)​

Also if at the time of Noah, there had been uneatable plants, shouldn't it have been somehow acknowledged here:

Well, of course...they couldn't very well eat what did not exist now, could they? lol...

Precisely. Therefore you can't say it was Eden before the fall and that's why they could eat everything

In the Biblical sense, Eden means:

n.
1. Bible The garden of God and the first home of Adam and Eve. Also called Garden of Eden.
2. A delightful place; a paradise.
3. A state of innocence, bliss, or ultimate happiness.

YES, it was EDEN before the fall! They didn't have to do anything at all! Everything they needed was there!

Lol, will you read the curse of God on them because of their fall!

Genesis 3

16 To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.”

17 To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’

“Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.”

(from the whole earth — note:

"The garden in which our first parents dewlt ( Genesis 2:8-17 ). No geographical question has been so much discussed as that bearing on its site. It has been placed in Armenia, in the region west of the Caspian Sea, in Media, near Damascus, in Palestine, in Southern Arabia, and in Babylonia. The site must undoubtedly be sought for somewhere along the course of the great streams the Tigris and the Euphrates of Western Asia, in "the land of Shinar" or Babylonia. The region from about lat. 33 degrees 30' to lat. 31 degrees, which is a very rich and fertile tract, has been by the most competent authorities agreed on as the probable site of Eden. "It is a region where streams abound, where they divide and re-unite, where alone in the Mesopotamian tract can be found the phenomenon of a single river parting into four arms, each of which is or has been a river of consequence.""(...) [/q

Irrelevant.

Also if at the time of Noah, there had been uneatable plants, shouldn't it have been somehow acknowledged here:

Why?

Noah already knew there were uneatable plants even
before the FLOOD!

Thistles and thorns have sprung up long before Noah and his ancestors were even born!
Some thorns are poisonous!

Thistles and thorns have been mentioned numerous times in the Bible - they are not good!

Gen 9 is simply an official declaration of God's COVENANT with him! It is a formal, and binding agreement.
It's another beginning for mankind since all people have been practically wiped out except these few who were saved.

It repeats the declaration of God to Adam and Eve. This part:

Genesis 1
28 And God blessed them. And God said to them, “
Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Mankind still has dominion over every living things on earth! Mankind should be fruitful and fill the earth.

Genesis 9

Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth.

2 The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands.

3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

There are also conditions attached to this covenant.

Last edited:

"Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."

No more than they ignored (i.e. failed to mention) the creation of any people other than Adam and Eve.

No more than they ignored (i.e. failed to mention) the creation of any people other than Adam and Eve.
....I'm farely sure the Genesis does mention the descendants of Adam and Eve. Does it dissatisfy you that everyone hasn't been created without a mother and a father?

From what we can deduce - there was only one tree that was "poisonous" to Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden.
That was the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil. God had warned them about it.

Back
Top Bottom