• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The writer of Genesis 1:29 ignored there are plants that can't be eaten

Yeah,... I don't know of any evidence that man learns that way.
To this day, is it not a fact that a person can talk til they're blue in the face, and yet some, if not all, have to learn by experience? Society learned that long ago...

"Experience is the teacher of all things." Julius Caesar

"Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things." Pliny the Elder

"Experience teaches." Tacitus

The I'm-too-ashamed-to-admit-what-I-believe-in is here pointing out, with extreme vagueness, what he doesn't believe in — again.
Keep it up, all you are evincing here is your own ignorance.

Keep it up, all you are evincing here is your own ignorance.
It's easy to seem ignorant when a participant in a discussion shares 0.08% of his actual thoughts. Ever heard of being direct?

To this day, is it not a fact that a person can talk til they're blue in the face, and yet some, if not all, have to learn by experience? Society learned that long ago..
But it would be a lot of conjecture to assume they learned that way. The regret you feel when it suddenly dawns on you that you have committed a serious sin, is a significant feeling and a lesson, but it's a leap to claim you previously might not have known it was a serious sin when you had been expressly taught so.

Yeah,... I don't know of any evidence that man learns that way.
:rolleyes:

Don't be obtuse, Val. You'll only lose credibility.

Of course, it's through experience!
Think of prehistoric medicines as an example!

The effects of different plant materials could have been found through
trial and error.

Trial and error can only be through experience!

How about the discovery of cooking? How did early man know how to cook?
You think they just did? :)

Of course, it'll have something to do with fire.

The control of fire by early humans was a turning point in the technological evolution of human beings. Fire provided a source of warmth, protection from predators, a way to create more advanced hunting tools, and a method for cooking food. These cultural advances allowed human geographic dispersal, cultural innovations, and changes to diet and behavior. Additionally, creating fire allowed human activity to continue into the dark and colder hours of the evening.

Use and control of fire was a gradual process, proceeding through more than one stage. One was a change in habitat, from dense forest, where wildfires were common, to savanna (mixed grass/woodland) where wildfires were higher intensity.[citation needed] Such a change may have occurred about three million years ago, when the savanna expanded in East Africa due to cooler and drier climate.[7][8]
The next stage involved interaction with burned landscapes and foraging in the wake of wildfires, as observed in various wild animals.[7][8] In the African savanna, animals that preferentially forage in recently burned areas include savanna chimpanzees (a variety of Pan troglodytes verus),[7][9] vervet monkeys (Cercopithecus aethiops)[10] and a variety of birds, some of which also hunt insects and small vertebrates in the wake of grass fires.

Of course, I'll have to question your definition of "experience."

Here's the definition from merriam/webster:

a : direct observation of or participation in events as a basis of knowledge
b : the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2a : practical knowledge, skill, or practice derived from direct observation of or participation in events or in a particular activity

Last edited:
Furthermore,

Genesis 6
21 You are to take
every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them.”

Therefore, there must be kind that are not to be eaten! Those kinds did not enter the ark!
Genesis 6:21 says: "Also take with you every sort of food that is eaten, and store it up. It shall serve as food for you and for them.”"

If a plant is poisonous or uneatable, we don't call it food.

Some translations for this verse read:

"Store up enough food both for yourself and for them."
And
"And be sure to take on board enough food for your family and for all the animals.”"

Yet others read:

"Thou shalt take unto thee of all food that may be eaten, and thou shalt lay it up with thee: and it shall be food for thee and them."
And
"And as for you, take for yourself some of all food which is edible, and gather it to yourself; and it shall be for food for you and for them.”

The exact interpretation of this verse seems to vary quite a bit and the literal translation did not help me understand exactly how it is meant to be read, nor was there commentary regarding it available on that site.

Regardless of whether one would see that at the time of Noah there were or were no poisonous plants, it remains that 1:29 fails to acknowledge them. The argument this excuse would leave you is that perhaps, despite the two or more places where the matter is ignored, it is so because it hasn't been deemed necessary to mention it.

I'm sure with that amount of bitterness already, loss would feel like nothing.
I'm not bitter at all. Why should I be? You say loss, I was raised as a catholic, went to catholic schools and when I finally got old enough I threw off the burden of religion. I don't need a book or a god to be a decent human being. The people I find to be bitter are the ones who don't seem to understand I couldn't care less about your god.

There is far better text elsewhere in Genesis that illustrate the authors had no idea what they were talking about than these examples talking about plants.

Genesis 6:21 says: "Also take with you every sort of food that is eaten, and store it up. It shall serve as food for you and for them.”"

If a plant is poisonous or uneatable, we don't call it food.

Why would God have to add "TO BE EATEN," if just simply saying "food" will suffice? :)
Because, God was being specific - take FOOD items only - for men, and for animals.

There are foods that are harmful to humans!
Like, Pokewood Berries! Birds eat these berries but they're poisonous to humans.

Pokeweed's berries are poisonous to humans, but birds love them

Gen 6
21 You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as
food for you and for them.”

Therefore, the instruction was to ensure humans, and animals have their own foods!

There is far better text elsewhere in Genesis that illustrate the authors had no idea what they were talking about than these examples talking about plants.

It's Val who's not getting it concerning his issue with this plants, but yeah you're right about other authors....like......

I'm sure the authors of the verses that described about the stretching heavens had no idea what they were talking about...........until, thousands years later, modern science had discovered that the universe is actually stretching! :)

As a Muslim I simply reject it, instead of coming up with excuses for it. And the mystery of the Universe? The Qur'an tells us something and then are things that aren't necessary for us to know.

I only hear the word "mystery" from Christians. I suppose it's because their Bible is so filled with inconsistencies that the only way to "believe" in it, is to call everything that doesn't make sense, a mystery.

Hmmm... You can't address your own faith without denigrating the faith of others. That's interesting. Is that recommended by the Prophet?

No mysteries in the Qur'an? I thought there was mention of moving a mountain and knowledge of the afterlife. Am I mistaken?

Hmmm... You can't address your own faith without denigrating the faith of others. That's interesting. Is that recommended by the Prophet?

No mysteries in the Qur'an? I thought there was mention of moving a mountain and knowledge of the afterlife. Am I mistaken?

Lol. The biggest Quran mystery of all -

WHO SENT THAT "ANGEL" TO MOHAMMAD?

It's already been pointed out why it couldn't have been the Abrahamic God!

....I'm farely sure the Genesis does mention the descendants of Adam and Eve. Does it dissatisfy you that everyone hasn't been created without a mother and a father?

Plenty of notable descendants (lots of begetting) were mentioned, yet no “others” were mentioned (by name) as having been created as Adam or Eve were.

Plenty of notable descendants (lots of begetting) were mentioned, yet no “others” were mentioned (by name) as having been created as Adam or Eve were.
Yes. That's why they're called our parents. We're their descendants.

It's Val who's not getting it concerning his issue with this plants, but yeah you're right about other authors....like......

I'm sure the authors of the verses that described about the stretching heavens had no idea what they were talking about...........until, thousands years later, modern science had discovered that the universe is actually stretching! :)

Nonsense, no one knew back then what a universe was. Now you are guilty of making shit up, another hallmark of religion.

Nonsense, no one knew back then what a universe was.
:oops:

EH?

Read what you quoted me saying. Didn't I say...........

I'm sure the authors of the verses that described about the stretching heavens

had no idea what they were talking about ......

What do you understand by that?

Now you are guilty of making shit up, another hallmark of religion.

No, you are! PROVEN by your own shit! :ROFLMAO:

You're just another typical POSTURING new atheist with comprehension problems ..........shrug:

Nonsense, no one knew back then what a universe was. Now you are guilty of making shit up, another hallmark of religion.
Of course they didn't, which makes it even more amazing that they could write about it...it would have been pointless and distracting for God to couch the Bible in language that would appeal to a 21st century scientist, so instead of scientific formulas, the Bible makes the universe come alive with vivid illustrations taken from the everyday life of the people who first wrote them down...images that breathtakingly astonish with timeless power even today...Job 38:8-38; Isaiah 40:12-23....

The Qur'an, too, says the universe is expanding. It seems it was the disbelievers — the "intellectuals" who didn't have that information until recently when the scientists told you so. You're always late to everything and moving backwards.

You're just another typical POSTURING new atheist with comprehension problems ..........shrug:

Of course they didn't, which makes it even more amazing that they could write about it...

The Qur'an, too, says the universe is expanding.

No, all of those verses refer to the heavens.

Believe what you want. However, there is nothing in the Bible or the Quran (or anything else from the Bronze Age) that teaches either the universe or any sense of expansion (or "stretched out") in any sense that modern astronomy, cosmology, or any other science based academia describes.

To suggest any of these aged texts described what we know from various sciences as the expansion of space, going with some half thoughts out rubber band analogy, is not justifiable by any logical means.

It is almost eisegesis to go there since no one at the time could describe what a universe was, did not know what stars really were, were incorrect on what revolves around what, and creation of these things was described in rudimentary terms by comparison to modern interpretations. Dividing the day from the night was wrong by scientific standards, so was any sense of observable expansion.

In straightforward interpretation from either the Bible or the Quran suggests the heavens and the earth was not a reference to the clouds and land, just the habitat for "man" and the location of heaven (opposite hell.) Somewhere away from what we now call the universe but back then they had no concept of where it really was. Going the route of the Bible to make your claims is an abuse of Hebrew translation, and interpretation of the dwelling-place of God. Going the route of the Quran means colliding 51:47 and 48 translations, where expansion was mixed with preparer and heaven was mixed with earth. At least two in this thread point out the inconsistencies and outright contradictions in the Quran, it becomes even more argumentative to suggest you guys know which parts were all of a sudden accurate to match your own beliefs originating from *other* text from another religion. Sharing being Abrahamic Religions and a time frame means sharing faults, you do not get to pick and choose.

Moreover, the Quran just like the Bible, had the whole ordering of sun, earth, moon, and stars completely wrong. This means that any scientific credibility from these sources related to astronomy and cosmology is already burned down, and that is before dealing with the original language translation faults out of convenience for new information known now that no one knew then. All of them are words to describe to the masses, at the time with the education of idiots, how the heavens and earth were created by those beliefs.

Claiming science victory is hollow, foolish, and in many ways extremely dangerous. Again, believe as you wish but that is all this is.

Yes. That's why they're called our parents. We're their descendants.

Yep, those born to parents were not created by God out of nothing as Adam and Eve were said to have been.

Yep, those born to parents were not created by God out of nothing as Adam and Eve were said to have been.
Actually they were, considering their parents were. You have to think further backwards.

In the Qur'an man was made from clay, not from 'nothing'.

No, all of those verses refer to the heavens.

Believe what you want. However, there is nothing in the Bible or the Quran (or anything else from the Bronze Age) that teaches either the universe or any sense of expansion (or "stretched out") in any sense that modern astronomy, cosmology, or any other science based academia describes.

To suggest any of these aged texts described what we know from various sciences as the expansion of space, going with some half thoughts out rubber band analogy, is not justifiable by any logical means.

It is almost eisegesis to go there since no one at the time could describe what a universe was, did not know what stars really were, were incorrect on what revolves around what, and creation of these things was described in rudimentary terms by comparison to modern interpretations. Dividing the day from the night was wrong by scientific standards, so was any sense of observable expansion.

In straightforward interpretation from either the Bible or the Quran suggests the heavens and the earth was not a reference to the clouds and land, just the habitat for "man" and the location of heaven (opposite hell.) Somewhere away from what we now call the universe but back then they had no concept of where it really was. Going the route of the Bible to make your claims is an abuse of Hebrew translation, and interpretation of the dwelling-place of God. Going the route of the Quran means colliding 51:47 and 48 translations, where expansion was mixed with preparer and heaven was mixed with earth. At least two in this thread point out the inconsistencies and outright contradictions in the Quran, it becomes even more argumentative to suggest you guys know which parts were all of a sudden accurate to match your own beliefs originating from *other* text from another religion. Sharing being Abrahamic Religions and a time frame means sharing faults, you do not get to pick and choose.

Moreover, the Quran just like the Bible, had the whole ordering of sun, earth, moon, and stars completely wrong. This means that any scientific credibility from these sources related to astronomy and cosmology is already burned down, and that is before dealing with the original language translation faults out of convenience for new information known now that no one knew then. All of them are words to describe to the masses, at the time with the education of idiots, how the heavens and earth were created by those beliefs.

Claiming science victory is hollow, foolish, and in many ways extremely dangerous. Again, believe as you wish but that is all this is.
You're not providing any proof, you know that, right? Your argument is, "you're wrong, I'm right," — just with unnecessarily many words.

You're not providing any proof, you know that, right? Your argument is, "you're wrong, I'm right," — just with unnecessarily many words.

Right... I provide "proof," you deal in Bronze Age mythology and any interpretation you desire.

Great standard there. :rolleyes:

Right... I provide "proof," you deal in Bronze Age mythology and any interpretation you desire.

Great standard there. :rolleyes:
You've provided no such thing...

Back
Top Bottom