• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The wreckage that Joe Biden might inherit in November

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

LDQGXMGYEII6VHB337BZJQBZRA.jpg

Democrat presidential candidate Joe Biden.

8/10/20
Like some medieval warlord on the verge of ruin, President Trump is burning the harvest and salting the fields. He seems determined to leave behind a broken nation. No one should take for granted that Trump will lose to Joe Biden in November. But the more likely this result appears to be, the more clearly we can see the wreckage that Biden would inherit. Trump’s tenure has been a disaster all along, but as Election Day approaches things are getting worse — with long-term implications that are dire. The smoke-and-mirrors executive actions Trump signed this weekend are but the latest example. They don’t actually do anything concrete to help the millions of Americans thrown out of work by the pandemic. Trump didn’t really forestall an expected wave of evictions; he just mandated a study of the issue. Trump didn’t really extend the $600-a-week federal supplement to unemployment benefits; he cut it to $300 and demanded that the states, which are basically broke, pony up an additional $100. But Trump’s deferral of employee payroll tax collection for the rest of the year, for workers making less than $104,000 — which probably is within his power as president — does real damage, all of it gratuitous. It takes away hundreds of billions of dollars from Social Security. And, of course, it helps precisely no one who is unemployed, since to pay payroll taxes one has to be on a payroll.

A Biden presidency would fix this dysfunction, though progress would be inhibited if Republicans retain control of the Senate. Much worse is Trump’s botched handling of the covid-19 pandemic. Just look at the devastation and disgrace the United States has suffered. With our schools now opening willy-nilly, without a national strategy in place or even in the works, there is no chance that the novel coronavirus will simply “go away,” as Trump fantasizes. He would also be left with a social crisis. So Biden’s first and biggest challenge, if he wins, may be to take the decisive and effective action against covid-19 that Trump has neglected. Biden would inherit not just a continuing economic crisis but, perhaps, a worsening health crisis as well. Cities across the nation are still rocked by the Black Lives Matter protests over police violence and systemic racism. None of the harm that Trump has done to the nation will automatically repair itself if Biden wins. The incoming administration would have to deal with acute crisis on top of acute crisis. The only worse prospect is the unthinkable: Trump wins. After four more years of disfigurement, would we even recognize ourselves?

Can you imagine four more years of this dysfunction? American would indeed be a ****hole country to borrow a crass term from Trump.

Vote Trump out of office. Vote for Joe Biden. Vote the GOP out of the Senate. Vote to save the United States from Trumps dereliction of duty, his corruption, and his racism.

If trump loses, he’s going to leave the country a smoking crater come January 20 (hopefully that’ll just be a figure of speech).

Uninhibited by Republican interference, it’s going to take a Democratic President 8 years to repair the damage.

It’s always quicker to destroy than it is to build.

If trump loses, he’s going to leave the country a smoking crater come January 20 (hopefully that’ll just be a figure of speech).

Uninhibited by Republican interference, it’s going to take a Democratic President 8 years to repair the damage.

I predict many people who were concerned about the debt and the deficit from January 20th, 2009 to January 20th 2017, will suddenly be concerned again on January 20th, 2021 should Biden win.

Not sure what happened in the intervening years but, it’s gonna be a doozy of a show.

Left burns down the country - blames Trump for the damage - news at 11.

The Republicans will complain that the clean up is not happening fast enough and they would do a beter job despite the fact that they were handed a great economy and destroyed it--twice.

The Republicans will complain that the clean up is not happening fast enough and they would do a beter job despite the fact that they were handed a great economy and destroyed it--twice.

That is why Biden absolutely must commit to an under-promise-over-deliver strategy.

Left burns down the country - blames Trump for the damage - news at 11.

I'm pretty sure a few protests aren't our biggest problems.

Feel free to be like your cult leader "I take no responsibility." Maybe you can blame Obama.

Can you imagine four more years of this dysfunction? American would indeed be a ****hole country to borrow a crass term from Trump.

Vote Trump out of office. Vote for Joe Biden. Vote the GOP out of the Senate. Vote to save the United States from Trumps dereliction of duty, his corruption, and his racism.

Obama inherited an unholy mess from the Bush Jr/Cheney administration- domestically, economically, foreign policy, etc... it took him a while to clean it up, especially because he was sabotaged and undermined every step of the way by the GOP Congress. But despite all that he eventually managed to clean it up pretty good.

This Trump mess might take a little longer to clean up, but it’s still doable. It’s like a heart attack where the patient still has a chance if you can resuscitate them quickly. It may be a guarded prognosis, but still doable. But if there is an additional 4 years of this trauma to the nation, I am afraid it’s going to be very difficult if not impossible to recover.

I predict many people who were concerned about the debt and the deficit from January 20th, 2009 to January 20th 2017, will suddenly be concerned again on January 20th, 2021 should Biden win.

Not sure what happened in the intervening years but, it’s gonna be a doozy of a show.

This has already started, as we see with no agreement from Congress, forcing an EO. Sen. Sasse R-NE called it ‘constitutional slop’, but compared it equivalently to what Obama did with Immigration. Taking no sides on this one, this is a congressional problem.

Watch the Trumpists immediately switch to blaming Biden and "Democrats" for Trump's mess. They did it with Obama and neither Fox nor OANN is ordering them to change course.

When the Democrats hand back a fixed-up country to the GOP, they'll just wreck it again.

Ah yes, that too. I wonder how many posts it would take to make a complete list of all the things they'll flop on.

Joe's not promising me anything. Donnie just extended the student loan relief through the end of the year. 3 more payments I can make as pure principal or not, whichever I prefer.

shouldn't we all have known that Trump would leave the US looking like this...

i3nfhfftdbmp7nhubnqj.jpg

after coming in like this...

taj_mahal-donald_trump-atlantic_city-untapped_cities.jpg

And that’s why I said “uninhibited by Republican interference.” For rebuilding to happen, republicans have to be completely driven from power.

And that’s why I said “uninhibited by Republican interference.” For rebuilding to happen, republicans have to be completely driven from power.

Good luck with that.

If I may be so bold to make a prediction and one that would have happened if Obama had been President when this happened.

Let’s say you get a Democrat Senate and House and President.

The conditions that lead to Trumps election and continued support through all the ****, remains.

And now the GOP at the State Level, aided by the Right Wing media go into overdrive AGAINST any and all measures taken by Biden and the Democrats at the Federal Level to combat Coronavirus and begin slamming them for the inevitable spending they will have to do in order to stabilize the situation.

All whilst strengthening the naked attempt to destroy voters rights and the economic situation begins to worsen, more extremist populism will begin to emerge.

People don’t realize it because its happening in Semi slow motion, but this is one of the most dangerous flashpoints America has ever experienced.

If millions are put into the streets in the coming weeks and months, the situation may spiral out of control.

My point is you’re ****ed anyway, as around 40% of the population is at the baseline for mental retardation.

But that’s enough happy thoughts for one morning.

Yes. For this country to recover, Dems have to flip the Senate. The GOP must defend 23 Senate seats. Four flips would do it I think.

Good luck with that.

If I may be so bold to make a prediction and one that would have happened if Obama had been President when this happened.

Let’s say you get a Democrat Senate and House and President.

The conditions that lead to Trumps election and continued support through all the ****, remains.

And now the GOP at the State Level, aided by the Right Wing media go into overdrive AGAINST any and all measures taken by Biden and the Democrats at the Federal Level to combat Coronavirus and begin slamming them for the inevitable spending they will have to do in order to stabilize the situation.

All whilst strengthening the naked attempt to destroy voters rights and the economic situation begins to worsen, more extremist populism will begin to emerge.

People don’t realize it because its happening in Semi slow motion, but this is one of the most dangerous flashpoints America has ever experienced.

If millions are put into the streets in the coming weeks and months, the situation may spiral out of control.

My point is you’re ****ed anyway, as around 40% of the population is at the baseline for mental retardation.

But that’s enough happy thoughts for one morning.

I’ve already considered all of this. IF Democrats have both chambers of Congress and the White House:

1)Eliminate the filibuster.
2)Rebalance the courts.
3)Pass HR1 (that’s what #2 was for).

Everything follows from those points.

#1 and #2 would have been too much a year ago, but I’m confident that republicans have sufficiently radicalized the holdout Democrats for them to seriously consider those options now.

I'm pretty sure a few protests aren't our biggest problems.

Feel free to be like your cult leader "I take no responsibility." Maybe you can blame Obama.

I blame the rioters and looters. Sorry if that bothers you.

Some of us never stopped caring. Some others never cared no matter who was in the WH. I disagree with them, but I respect they are at least consistent.

But the worst of the worst are those who think the national debt is a partisan issue. The ones who think their side's debt was proper and necessary but the other side's is pork and improper. They care more about fighting than to fix the out-of-control spending.

Debt and expansionist China are our only two existential threats. We defeat them or they will defeat us. It's that simple.

Do you actually believe term limits would stand if he was re-elected? No, if he wins, he will be pres till he dies, but America will pre-decease him. :shock:

Some of us never stopped caring. Some others never cared no matter who was in the WH. I disagree with them, but I respect they are at least consistent.

But the worst of the worst are those who think the national debt is a partisan issue. The ones who think their side's debt was proper and necessary but the other side's is pork and improper. They care more about fighting than to fix the out-of-control spending.

Debt and expansionist China are our only two existential threats. We defeat them or they will defeat us. It's that simple.

You sure weren't worried about debt and deficit when the GOP passed the tax-reform-bonanza for the wealthy in 2017.

It's only when the Dems are in control that you put on those bogus "deficits matter" scowls.

Back
Top Bottom