• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race?

The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race?

• Hunting and gathering

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Agriculture

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Personally, I think Lucas' Star Wars "prequel" was the Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race.

are you sure it wasn't the brady bunch movie or the remake of night of the living dead?

Meh, they were already out the door, just as the homo sapien today will need to make way for the homo superior.

Na, we'll outbreed them. The way we're going, we'll be back to Astralopithicas levels pretty soon.

In order...

1. Pacifism.

2. Veganism.

3. Lawyers.

:mrgreen:

Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans.

Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans.

:lol:

Props.

I know what YOU'VE been reading. ;)

i dont know about anyone else but i think agriculture is just an organized way of gathering

i dont know about anyone else but i think agriculture is just an organized way of gathering

Why run all over the place looking for food when you can control where it will produce?

They grow nut and berry crops and domesticate animals, so the chasing and gathering notion is just simply not as efficient.

American War of Independence, rubbish idea think of all the great food you missed out on ;)

Tamales come from the Texan province of Mexico, and is therefore, Texan. Keep y'alls damn yankee hands off them sum bitchin tamales. The tamales are ours.

Texans are Americans.

Worst mistake? Teaching women to speak.

Frankly, I think one of Humanity's greatest errors is the idea of patenting grain. That's gotta be one the dumbest ideas ever, but companies are actually getting away with it. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

I recently read an article that i found quite fascinating as well as debatable. The article is titled The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race and is written by Jared Diamond. You can read the full article here The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race but in a nutshell Diamond is arguing that agriculture spurned a series of shifts in human society that negatively affected our health, happiness, and harmony.

I'm torn by anti-agriculturalism. On the one hand, the evidence is pretty clear that the products of agriculture-- refined grains, vegetable oils, and processed foods-- are the main causes of heart disease, diabetes, and the other "diseases of civilization." In addition, the surpluses of food created by agriculture enabled the creation of social hierarchy, empire, slavery, and the other products of economic power.

On the other hand, without those agricultural surpluses, we would have no significant trade, no means to exploit comparative advantage, no real opportunity for economic development. Earth would be populated by tiny groups of hunter-gatherers, without tall cities, laboratories, libraries, airplanes or space shuttles. Our consciousness would be of families and local communities, without a sense of being part of a greater race or planet.

In conclusion i ask you, which world would be better? Hunting and gathering or the agricultural route, and why do you pick one over the other?

The Dark Ages were a pretty bad mistake.

listening to pinhead luddite idiots like that guy who came up with that theory is a far worse mistake

if everyone was a hunter gatherer no one would have the ability or the time to read the oozing BS that clown Diamond spewed.

Agriculture brought peace and ended many people's nomadic lives. Hunting and gathering requires you to stay on the move. There would be not time for invention and the formation of societies. But there's always pros and cons to any choice. We don't know that we would live longer by hunting, because it's never been tried on a mass scale for a long period of time by a moder society.

The poll is also flawed since one of the choices had to be a starting point which can't count as a mistake. Both choices were not available at the same time.

Last edited:
Probably not, and yet we have people who seem to want to go back to that time.

At this particular point in time, even going back 50 years would require its own transitional Dark Age. We are in a global economic and demographic conundrum of a situation that does not allow for even the slightest reversion.

On an individual level we can try to implement more methods for living as we did a long time ago. Bring back some old homesteading methods, for example. Returning to some aspects of this lifestyle has never been more crucial to our ecosystems or our sense of control over our livelihoods, but it's also never seemed more distant/foreign to us. It is particularly shunned by those who seek perpetual growth and prosperity and will use new financial magic tricks to fake it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom