• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The World Wars - History Channel

I recently watched A World at War it is much longer being more than 20 episodes long but it is incredibly detailed and well worth a watch. It is also from the 70s so they have interviews not only with the soldiers but also their commanders like a French general who was present during the invasion of France in 1940, the commander who organized the Japanese attack on Midway, etc. and reporters like Richard Tregaskis who are sadly no longer with us. Being a British series it is also not American focused which is great, as a Canadian I notice that in a lot of documentaries about the war. Most documentaries just gloss over everything before Pearl Harbour and focus on American achievements during the war with the other allies being relegated to being a sidenote. According to a lot of documentaries you would not even know there was a war in the Pacific before Pearl Harbour. Is this series any better?

I recently watched A World at War it is much longer being more than 20 episodes long but it is incredibly detailed and well worth a watch. It is also from the 70s so they have interviews not only with the soldiers but also their commanders like a French general who was present during the invasion of France in 1940, the commander who organized the Japanese attack on Midway, etc. and reporters like Richard Tregaskis who are sadly no longer with us. Being a British series it is also not American focused which is great, as a Canadian I notice that in a lot of documentaries about the war. Most documentaries just gloss over everything before Pearl Harbour and focus on American achievements during the war with the other allies being relegated to being a sidenote. According to a lot of documentaries you would not even know there was a war in the Pacific before Pearl Harbour. Is this series any better?

I didn't see the series you are talking about, but this series did bring up the war in the S Pacific before Pearl Harbor.

I didn't see the series you are talking about, but this series did bring up the war in the S Pacific before Pearl Harbor.

It is an older series that is not really broadcast anymore but the History channel did release it on Blu-ray. Maybe I will take a look at this then, has to better than that dreadful WWII in HD thing they produced. It spent like 10 minutes on everything before Pearl Harbour and only mentioned American achievements during and after the war. A World at War dedicates entire hour long episodes to things that other documentaries would only spend about 10 minutes on.

It is an older series that is not really broadcast anymore but the History channel did release it on Blu-ray. Maybe I will take a look at this then, has to better than that dreadful WWII in HD thing they produced. It spent like 10 minutes on everything before Pearl Harbour and only mentioned American achievements during and after the war. A World at War dedicates entire hour long episodes to things that other documentaries would only spend about 10 minutes on.

This series is basically a documentary on the rise of the significant characters in WWII, Stalin, Hitler, Patton, Churchill, etc.. It covered some of the political ramifications and backdrop on the characters in reference to their strategies. I found it quite fascinating.

Agree 100% on World at War. And yes, it covered everything... Not just the US-Centric WWII we in the US are used to.

Watched it when it first aired a while back. Didn't make it to the end. Lots of errors in this series and it really bugs me when both the U.S. and German re-enactors are using the same British rifles.

I know a guy who get's all bent of shape when the buttons on the uniforms are wrong. smh

I know a guy who get's all bent of shape when the buttons on the uniforms are wrong. smh

I don't care about that, but the prop department wasn't trying very hard for authenticity here.

Agree 100% on World at War. And yes, it covered everything... Not just the US-Centric WWII we in the US are used to.

Dammit, I keep thinking it is A World at War, because that is what my torrent class it in the file names.

Back
Top Bottom