• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The word Racist has officially lost all meaning from over use

2distracted

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The word Racist means nothing

Thanks you, liberal PCers

And you've come to this conclusion, how?

'Racism' doesn't technically mean nothing.

Its meaning depends on who uses it and the context in which it's used. It can mean anything ranging from "you disagree with me on race-related issues" (the more contemporary usage) to "you believe some races are inherently genetically superior to other races" (the original meaning of the word).

Its meaning depends on who uses it and the context in which it's used. It can mean anything ranging from "you disagree with me on race issues" (the more contemporary usage) to "you believe some races are inherently genetically superior to other races" (the original meaning of the word).

Words’ meanings change over time via common usage. Oxford dictionary recently updated the definition of the word as a matter of fact.

And you've come to this conclusion, how?

I was in a gift shop this weekend and everyone in there was joking and asking if some of the native american indian items would be considered racist or not. Also, CNN photoshopped Joe Bidens picture to remove the redskins emblem from his sons hat. Yeah, a bit over-used

Words’ meanings change over time via common usage. Oxford dictionary recently updated the definition of the word as a matter of fact.
I know. I really wish they hadn't done so, because the term is trending towards meaninglessness as @2distracted contends. However, I understand the dictionaries don't make the trends, they just try to keep up with them.

My interpretation of 'racism' depends entirely on context. If a family member or close friend/colleague ever accused me of racism, I'd take it to heart and engage in some thorough self-examination. If a DP poster calls me racist in the middle of a debate about the merits of reparations, the validity of crime statistics, BLM, etc., I understand that what is being said is "I believe I'm arguing for the betterment of a race, you're opposing my argument, and this frustrates me", or possibly just "you're a doody head".

Democratic Party = Racism

Unfortunately this is true. There are certain groups that call anything and everything racist.

They are the same people who overuse the words, problematic, mansplain, cultural appropriation, dudebro, white male patriarchy, mircro aggression, good/bad ally, etc.

Its meaning depends on who uses it and the context in which it's used. It can mean anything ranging from "you disagree with me on race-related issues" (the more contemporary usage) to "you believe some races are inherently genetically superior to other races" (the original meaning of the word).

Every time some conservative says something a lib doesn't like

OMG..racist!!!

They know you're not saying anything racist but don't care. They have an agenda to push

The end justifies whatever means they can come up with

In today's politically correct age of BLM, racist = White.

So true. There is nothing whites can do to redeem themselves..

They are white forever, so racist forever

The irony!

A Black with integrity would say Hey..we Blacks know what racial hatred is and th evil it does. We cannot turn around and treat others the way we've been treated

But some Blacks say

No, we gotta pay back Whitey

Unfortunately this is true. There are certain groups that call anything and everything racist.

They are the same people who overuse the words, problematic, mansplain, cultural appropriation, dudebro, white male patriarchy, mircro aggression, good/bad ally, etc.

The hate is amazing an it fuels the crazy opinions and attitudes we see about what is OK in society. Strangley those filled with hate tend to blame it on someone else.

I know. I really wish they hadn't done so, because the term is trending towards meaninglessness as @2distracted contends. However, I understand the dictionaries don't make the trends, they just try to keep up with them.

My interpretation of 'racism' depends entirely on context. If a family member or close friend/colleague ever accused me of racism, I'd take it to heart and engage in some thorough self-examination. If a DP poster calls me racist in the middle of a debate about the merits of reparations, the validity of crime statistics, BLM, etc., I understand that what is being said is "I believe I'm arguing for the betterment of a race, you're opposing my argument, and this frustrates me", or possibly just "you're a doody head".

I can’t help you with whatever justifications you provide yourself to ignore what people say, and why some words mean something to you and others don’t. That’s for you to figure out. Maybe the people who have called you a racist in exchanges on a message board, and if this is a thing that happens frequently, are on to something. Or not. NO idea.

Back to words: the “trends” you’re referring to is called “culture.” As we progress, our understanding of life changes. WE gather more/different perspectives. Perspective on history changes. It’s why words like “gay” change over decades. Common usage changes. Society defines for itself what’s acceptable, what it wants and how it should look. This is why things like blackface are now frowned upon whereas it was apparently the favorite pastime of, like, everyone (?).

When you say things like “I wish the dictionary wasn’t updated” it sounds like it’s *you* who is complaining that people are doody heads for not agreeing with you. We have updated the dictionary repeatedly. It sounds like opposition towards it where the word “racism” is concerned is more about pre-defending a concept(s) that you don’t want to be seen as racist.

I would also add anecdotally: “Racism is thrown around so much it’s becoming meaningless” is a phrase, or variation on a phrase, that I have heard (and at one time said) my entire adult life and I”m now middle aged.

Sounds to me like “racism has no meaning” isn’t so much a world weary observation as a cynical defense against having to examine beliefs you have that may have an expired shelf life.

I can’t help you with whatever justifications you provide yourself to ignore what people say, and why some words mean something to you and others don’t. That’s for you to figure out. Maybe the people who have called you a racist in exchanges on a message board, and if this is a thing that happens frequently, are on to something. Or not. NO idea.
I don't summarily dismiss accusations of racism online if my accuser is able and willing to articulate why, specifically, he believes my views are racist. However, my experience is that few critics are willing, and of those who can articulate their criticisms, the substance boils down to a perceived lack of sensitivity or receptiveness to certain arguments.

When you say things like “I wish the dictionary wasn’t updated” it sounds like it’s *you* who is complaining that people are doody heads for not agreeing with you. We have updated the dictionary repeatedly. It sounds like opposition towards it where the word “racism” is concerned is more about pre-defending a concept(s) that you don’t want to be seen as racist.
You misunderstand.

I wish Oxford hadn't redefined the word because racism, as it was defined before, had a very definite meaning that could be objectively evaluated and confirmed. The new definition has no such properties.

Consider [1], "The inability or refusal to recognize the rights, needs, dignity, or value of people of particular races or geographical origins. More widely, the devaluation of various traits of character or intelligence as ‘typical’ of particular peoples."

The principal definition is subjective to the point of near-uselessness. One can fit practically any viewpoint on any race-related issue into it depending on what one determines to be a man's "rights, needs, dignity, [and] value", and whatever the hell it means to "recognize" these things. The second part, referring to "devaluation of various traits of character or intelligence", appears to be a watered down remnant of the original definition. At least they didn't scrub it completely. Hopefully it's enough for the term 'racism' to retain a shred of objective meaning.

I lament the new definition because I believe racism is an important concept that deserves a firm and objective definition. The more subjective it becomes, the more meaningless it becomes, and the less effective it is as a criticism.

The word racist means nothing to right wingers because they deny the reality of its existence in this nation. It continues to have great meaning to the blacks who experience it on a daily basis and to the liberals who empathize with them because of that.
And this won’t change until the right-wingers understand reality.

I would also add anecdotally: “Racism is thrown around so much it’s becoming meaningless” is a phrase, or variation on a phrase, that I have heard (and at one time said) my entire adult life and I”m now middle aged.

Sounds to me like “racism has no meaning” isn’t so much a world weary observation as a cynical defense against having to examine beliefs you have that may have an expired shelf life.

It’s basically the same as right-wingers claim that liberals “play the race card”. It is nothing more than a talking point basically meant to SHUT DOWN any serious discussion of race in America instead of engaging in thoughtful discussion about it. Why are they so afraid to talk about it?

I don't summarily dismiss accusations of racism online if my accuser is able and willing to articulate why, specifically, he believes my views are racist. However, my experience is that few critics are willing, and of those who can articulate their criticisms, the substance boils down to a perceived lack of sensitivity or receptiveness to certain arguments.

You misunderstand.

I wish Oxford hadn't redefined the word because racism, as it was defined before, had a very definite meaning that could be objectively evaluated and confirmed. The new definition has no such properties.

Consider [1], "The inability or refusal to recognize the rights, needs, dignity, or value of people of particular races or geographical origins. More widely, the devaluation of various traits of character or intelligence as ‘typical’ of particular peoples."

The principal definition is subjective to the point of near-uselessness. One can fit practically any viewpoint on any race-related issue into it depending on what one determines to be a man's "rights, needs, dignity, [and] value", and whatever the hell it means to "recognize" these things. The second part, referring to "devaluation of various traits of character or intelligence", appears to be a watered down remnant of the original definition. At least they didn't scrub it completely. Hopefully it's enough for the term 'racism' to retain a shred of objective meaning.

I lament the new definition because I believe racism is an important concept that deserves a firm and objective definition. The more subjective it becomes, the more meaningless it becomes, and the less effective it is as a criticism.

I don’t think it’s subjective at all. There are clearly laid out parameters, a through logic, and common usage applicable to modern culture. Anyone can play devils advocate with any argument. That’s not a good reason to resist updating a word to better describe the thing it’s trying to describe. And being able to play devi’s advocate isn’t proof the defintion cannot stand up under scrutiny.

I would also add that many of the communities that are most vulnerable to racism would, and have. argued that racism is mostly centered on power. I agree. This definition is much better at explaining what racism is.

Why, do you think the right has accomplished their mission, they turn the world Liberal into a dirty word years ago, it is something the right does.

It’s basically the same as right-wingers claim that liberals “play the race card”. It is nothing more than a talking point basically meant to SHUT DOWN any serious discussion of race in America instead of engaging in thoughtful discussion about it. Why are they so afraid to talk about it?

Exactly. Meanwhile: they’re now calling JOE BIDEN a marxist. Talk about breaking a word against the wall and pretending it retained its value.

I don’t think it’s subjective at all. There are clearly laid out parameters, a through logic, and common usage applicable to modern culture.
Let's test this hypothesis.

A 'yes', 'no', or 'indeterminate' in each case. In your opinion, which of the following behaviours constitute racism according to the new Oxford definition (i.e. "The inability or refusal to recognize the rights, needs, dignity, or value of people of particular races or geographical origins.")?

1. At a dinner party, Bob claims "Asians are smarter than whites," citing a 2008 Swedish study on general intelligence that includes statistics categorized by race.
  2. Jill, a white woman who was once assaulted by a black man, crosses the street whenever she sees a large black man approaching on her side of the sidewalk.
  3. Mary declares at a political rally, "Most white cops--nearly all of them--are racist."
  4. Joe keeps a Confederate flag--a keepsake from his childhood--in his bedroom window. He refuses to take it down even after several people insist it's a symbol of racism and makes them uncomfortable.
  5. Holly claims she would never marry a black man because she finds them loud and unattractive.
  6. Jim asks Lo, a newcomer to his town of obviously Asian descent, "Are you from China?"
  7. Peter, a white man, is a firm believer in Affirmative Action and racial quotas. "Black communities need a leg up to compensate for other systemic inequalities," he claims.
  8. Donna argues online, "All lives matter. White privilege is just an excuse made up by black people."
  9. Les, a Korean man, refuses to hire anyone except Koreans to work in his shop.
  10. Kim, a deeply religious woman, disapproves of interracial marriages, sincerely believing that God intended the races be kept separate and distinct.
  11. Roy, an ethnic Jew, maintains a site "sonsofishmael.com" documenting atrocities committed by Arabs and defending a thesis that Arabs are a violent and factious people by nature.
  12. Maude, a black professor of sociology, pens an op ed asking readers to eschew citing the research of white sociologists, arguing their research is inherently biased and instrumental in the perpetuation of dangerous stereotypes.
  13. Neil, an Asian man, is an outspoken proponent of racial profiling for police work, believing that profiling makes policing smarter and more effective.
  14. John, a man indifferent to race, refuses to stop hanging out with Ellis, his childhood friend and an outspoken white supremacist, simply because of his beliefs on race.
  15. Gary, a black TV entertainer, frequently pokes fun at whites, mocking their dancing and driving abilities in particular.
  16. Kate, a white woman, and her friend Katelyn, a black woman, agree in a discussion that "there's a difference between blacks and (N word)s".
  17. James categorically refuses to hire another aboriginal man after his previous two aboriginal employees suffered problems with alcohol abuse.
  18. Jeanine, a full-time volunteer for a NGO in the Black Lives Matter movement, argues on her blog that modest taxes should be levied on white Americans to fund a reparations package intended to compensate "people of colour" from past injustices such as slavery.
  19. Ellie, a white New Englander, reflexively calls white debate opponents racist and bigoted when she perceives she's losing an argument.
  20. Joseph, a Texan, sincerely believes the influx of Mexican migrants to the US is a threat to the stability and prosperity of the nation.

I welcome everyone reading this to provide responses, and we'll see how consistent they are. :coffeepap

Now that Trump is enjoying general condemnation as a RACIST, suddenly for some the word as no meaning. Ah-huh

Back
Top Bottom