• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Wolverine thread!

Goshin

Burned Out Ex-Mod
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
... for discussing the new Wolverine movie! Also for excited Woots about the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past! Son Numbah One and I just went to see it...the new Wolverine movie is totally awesome, despite a plotting flaw in the climax. Even so, it rocks. Also, there's a cool little scene after the credits start to roll, pointing at the new movie X Men Days of Future Past coming out next yr...
The plotting flaw is that old Japanese guy in the samurai exoskeleton armor near the end had "ingested" enough of Logan's healing factor to be turning young again.... so he shouldn't have been so easily killed by a couple blades through the noggin... of course we're not 100% sure he's dead are we...

I'm actually going to see that tonight!

I've been wanting to see a good movie lately, but haven't really kept up with what's currently showing. Thanks for the rec. :)

I've been wanting to see a good movie lately, but haven't really kept up with what's currently showing. Thanks for the rec. :)

It is based in part on a very popular "graphic novel" from the 90s that went into Logan's past and his Japanese ties and a love interest..... this particular movie is less about mutants and more about Logan's humanity, though there is plenty of action as well.

It is based in part on a very popular "graphic novel" from the 90s that went into Logan's past and his Japanese ties and a love interest..... this particular movie is less about mutants and more about Logan's humanity, though there is plenty of action as well.
Here at the theater, just got my ticket, movie starts in 20. I can't wait, I'm I big wolverine fan!

Speaking of "graphic", I don't know if you're familiar with them, but there was a series of Japanese martial arts movies that came out in the 60's or early 70's, called "Lone Wolf and Cub". They were made in Japan as far as I know, and are not your typical martial arts movies at all. Very graphic, but the thing I loved about them was the main character development, and the approach to honor, courage, and other traits attributed to the samurai. If you ever see one for rent, pick it up some time and give it a watch. They tend to grow on you, but admittedly, are not made for the general or generic audience. Kind of "heady" in a graphic way. :lol:

Speaking of "graphic", I don't know if you're familiar with them, but there was a series of Japanese martial arts movies that came out in the 60's or early 70's, called "Lone Wolf and Cub". They were made in Japan as far as I know, and are not your typical martial arts movies at all. Very graphic, but the thing I loved about them was the main character development, and the approach to honor, courage, and other traits attributed to the samurai. If you ever see one for rent, pick it up some time and give it a watch. They tend to grow on you, but admittedly, are not made for the general or generic audience. Kind of "heady" in a graphic way. :lol:

But of course! :)

I haven't seen them all, but I have seen a couple. I understand they were complied into "The Shogun Assassin", but real fans say to stay away from the SA and stick with the original series.

They ARE different, and interesting.

But of course! :)

I haven't seen them all, but I have seen a couple. I understand they were complied into "The Shogun Assassin", but real fans say to stay away from the SA and stick with the original series.

They ARE different, and interesting.

When I first watched a couple of them, I was a bit aghast, but once I got over the shock, I came to love the message conveyed in the series of movies. They were about strength and commitment, and keeping your cool in the midst of turmoil. I kind of suspect that Tarantino got a lot of his ideas from that series.

"Lone Wolf and Cub" is actually a graphic novel, a manga. I believe the movies are based on the graphic novel, but I can't say for sure.

"Lone Wolf and Cub" is actually a graphic novel, a manga. I believe the movies are based on the graphic novel, but I can't say for sure.

I don't if they were based on it or not, but I really loved the series. They were the kind of movies that, back in the 70's, you'd have to go to the dangerous part of town to see them, but they had a small audience of people who really loved them.

... for discussing the new Wolverine movie! Also for excited Woots about the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past! Son Numbah One and I just went to see it...the new Wolverine movie is totally awesome, despite a plotting flaw in the climax. Even so, it rocks. Also, there's a cool little scene after the credits start to roll, pointing at the new movie X Men Days of Future Past coming out next yr...
The plotting flaw is that old Japanese guy in the samurai exoskeleton armor near the end had "ingested" enough of Logan's healing factor to be turning young again.... so he shouldn't have been so easily killed by a couple blades through the noggin... of course we're not 100% sure he's dead are we...

Scuttlebutt from the San Diego Comic Con is that Hugh Jackman went to the con by himself in full costume.

Got some "Ahhh, that's an ok Wolverine costume, but..." comments and everything.

He said he had a blast hiding in plain sight.

Also for excited Woots about the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past!

That is a childhood wish fulfilled. A lot of ways it could go wrong, but cautiously optimistic.

When Yashida offers to make Logan moral, Logan says "what they did to me cannot be undone". At first I thought Logan was referring to the adamantium, but Yashida was after Logan's healing ability, not his bones.

I thought Logan and his brother were born a mutants...that their childhood illness was a kind of mutant-puberty, the plague killing Logan for the first time and his power surfacing....which then led to much hysteria and a couple family deaths, as you know.

Who are "they" and what they do?

When Yashida offers to make Logan moral, Logan says "what they did to me cannot be undone". At first I thought Logan was referring to the adamantium, but Yashida was after Logan's healing ability, not his bones.

I thought Logan was born a mutant. Who is "they" and what they do?

It is my understanding that both Logan and his brother were born mutants, with regeneration powers, and bone claws (of different types). To my knowledge this is X-men canon... at least as far as the movies are concerned.

The only thing that was "done" to him was the adamantium skeleton, that I've ever heard of.... so I think you're right, that was kind of a mis-quote or mis-key on the script or something.

I walked out of the theater when he lost his claws. I will not be watching another movie by Marvel. First they killed Jean Gray, then they killed Batman and now they cut off Wolverines claws. **** you Marvel. Though I suppose he has his bone claws, but really, that just ****ing sucks.

It is my understanding that both Logan and his brother were born mutants, with regeneration powers, and bone claws (of different types). To my knowledge this is X-men canon... at least as far as the movies are concerned.

The only thing that was "done" to him was the adamantium skeleton, that I've ever heard of.... so I think you're right, that was kind of a mis-quote or mis-key on the script or something.
And just to pick at the movie....when Logan's healing was suppressed, wouldn't the adamantium have poisoned his blood and killed him?

I sometimes wonder how Logan's connective tissue adapted to the metal...bones do need to "breath" in a manner of speaking with the rest of the body.

I walked out of the theater when he lost his claws. I will not be watching another movie by Marvel. First they killed Jean Gray, then they killed Batman and now they cut off Wolverines claws. **** you Marvel. Though I suppose he has his bone claws, but really, that just ****ing sucks.
I have to say I'm not very happy about the loss of the claws, but I'm sure they will be restored in the next movie since they're iconic of the Wolverine and X-Men.

I'm gonna have to go all nerd on this post. It's actually based on a seminal Wolverine miniseries (the first time Wolverine ever had his own series) from 1982. It was written by Chris Claremont, who, more than any other comic book writer (including Stan Lee) created the X-Men as we understand them. It was also illustrated by a young Frank Miller, before he started writing his own extremely influential work (e.g. Dark Knight Returns, Daredevil Born Again, Sin City, 300).

I actually hated the movie. I'll explain why if someone will teach me how to do the thing with the spoiler alert that hides text.

Totally looking forward to X-Men Days of Future Past, though. That's another homage to early 80's Chris Claremont era X-Men.

I'm gonna have to go all nerd on this post. It's actually based on a seminal Wolverine miniseries (the first time Wolverine ever had his own series) from 1982. It was written by Chris Claremont, who, more than any other comic book writer (including Stan Lee) created the X-Men as we understand them. It was also illustrated by a young Frank Miller, before he started writing his own extremely influential work (e.g. Dark Knight Returns, Daredevil Born Again, Sin City, 300).

I actually hated the movie. I'll explain why if someone will teach me how to do the thing with the spoiler alert that hides text.

Totally looking forward to X-Men Days of Future Past, though. That's another homage to early 80's Chris Claremont era X-Men.

To do the spoiler thing, you just put brackets of this type [ ] around spoiler at the beginning and /spoiler when you're done. :)

I thought Logan and his brother were born a mutants...that their childhood illness was a kind of mutant-puberty, the plague killing Logan for the first time and his power surfacing....which then led to much hysteria and a couple family deaths, as you know.

Who are "they" and what they do?

According to X-Men cannon, both Logan and his brothers were born mutants, and originally Logan had bone claws. You can actually see them at the very beginning of the movie when Logan's in the Obliette type cell in the Japanese POW camp. My interpretation of that line was not just that Logan was referring to the adamantium skeleton, but also a reference to the psychological damage he's accumulated over the course of a century.

Btw, does anyone remember from like the early nineties when they cut off wolverines claws in the comic book? God, that sucked somehow even more than it did in this movie. I have never looked at the wolverine comic since so I couldn't say if they are back or not, but really, wtf was that about. They even made a big deal of him running around with one claw as if it was a good thing.

According to X-Men cannon, both Logan and his brothers were born mutants, and originally Logan had bone claws. You can actually see them at the very beginning of the movie when Logan's in the Obliette type cell in the Japanese POW camp. My interpretation of that line was not just that Logan was referring to the adamantium skeleton, but also a reference to the psychological damage he's accumulated over the course of a century.
I'm one of the 2 or 3 people who saw Origins. Lots of bone claws in that one.

To do the spoiler thing, you just put brackets of this type [ ] around spoiler at the beginning and /spoiler when you're done. :)

Gotcha.

My basic problem with the movie is that it took a very low-key comic book story that was fundamentally about Logan's development as a person, and added a crap-ton of totally irrelevant stuff (e.g. the Hydra woman, the central plot re: Logan losing his powers). The bottom line is that the movie would have been a much better film if they hadn't worked so hard to make it a comic book movie. The original miniseries had basically no superhuman activity except for Logan himself. That would have made for a much tighter, more personal film than what we got. Don't get me wrong, it was a reasonably entertaining action-comic film, but I got the distinct impression that it was made by committee. Like someone said "it needs more superhero stuff - put in a revisionist version of the Silver Samurai. It needs a more sci-fi plot. Instead of Logan trying to find himself, can we have him worry about losing his powers? Etc, etc. In essence, they took a fantastic personal story about a man trying to find himself, and turned it into a schlock fest.

I'm one of the 2 or 3 people who saw Origins. Lots of bone claws in that one.

Oh yeah. Totally forgot about the bone claws though. I'm pretty sure I was drunk when I saw that movie.

Gotcha.

My basic problem with the movie is that it took a very low-key comic book story that was fundamentally about Logan's development as a person, and added a crap-ton of totally irrelevant stuff (e.g. the Hydra woman, the central plot re: Logan losing his powers). The bottom line is that the movie would have been a much better film if they hadn't worked so hard to make it a comic book movie. The original miniseries had basically no superhuman activity except for Logan himself. That would have made for a much tighter, more personal film than what we got. Don't get me wrong, it was a reasonably entertaining action-comic film, but I got the distinct impression that it was made by committee. Like someone said "it needs more superhero stuff - put in a revisionist version of the Silver Samurai. It needs a more sci-fi plot. Instead of Logan trying to find himself, can we have him worry about losing his powers? Etc, etc. In essence, they took a fantastic personal story about a man trying to find himself, and turned it into a schlock fest.

Well, I don't really disagree with you. I enjoyed it for what it was, but you're right, it doesn't hold a candle to the original story in question.

Back
Top Bottom