• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Wisdom of Beck: The "Pension Pyramid"

Well I mean let's face it, it's hard for Grim to argue with anything.

You used the words "wisdom" and "Beck" in the same sentence. I still cannot stop laughing over you doing that.

Hey I saw this tonight too! It is hard to argue with Beck though, it's good to see what happens in a skitzo's head though. At one point he was linking the pensions to the mafia, and Fidel Castro or something. **** is great.

He even brought up the point a few times "That you can't argue with me people." and I totally agree because his entire thing wasn't clear at all.

The more I hear about Beck at DP, the more I am glad that I have never listened to him.

So Beck thinks pensions are a giant pyramid scheme. And you agree...

As a matter of fact, I do. Since you are the only person who actually came close to attempting a discussion about this (rather than the typical personal attacks), how about you tell me where the money is going to come from?

Using Beck's example, when you do the math that's $1.8 million over 20 years in benefits. If the man lives to be 80, thats nearly 3 million dollars in benefits. You tell me how a man who made less than $2 million over 20 years, can be paid that much money without it coming from the people who are currently working?

As a matter of fact, I do. Since you are the only person who actually came close to attempting a discussion about this (rather than the typical personal attacks), how about you tell me where the money is going to come from?

Using Beck's example, when you do the math that's $1.8 million over 20 years in benefits. If the man lives to be 80, thats nearly 3 million dollars in benefits. You tell me how a man who made less than $2 million over 20 years, can be paid that much money without it coming from the people who are currently working?

Pensions are paid out in lieu of increased wages during the persons period of working. If you or other people were not going to get a pension they would generally ask for increased wages to compensate for the lost benifits. It is not coming out of current workers wages, but out of the companies revenues and ultimately potential shareholder returns

Pensions are paid out in lieu of increased wages during the persons period of working. If you or other people were not going to get a pension they would generally ask for increased wages to compensate for the lost benifits. It is not coming out of current workers wages, but out of the companies revenues and ultimately potential shareholder returns

Tell me then... Who are the "shareholders" for the police department, fire department, public school teachers and the 100's of thousands of other unionized city, state and federal government employees? I'll give you a hint.... Where does the money from Social Security Security come from?

Tell me then... Who are the "shareholders" for the police department, fire department, public school teachers and the 100's of thousands of other unionized city, state and federal government employees? I'll give you a hint.... Where does the money from Social Security Security come from?

My wife is a Senior Benefits Annalist for a multinational Fortune 500 company.

Glenn Beck knows jack squat about this subject. Anyone gullible enough to buy his nonsense, will believe almost anything. The man is an assclown.

To all posters who posted derision on this subject: You don't know what you're talking about. Even if you DESPISE Glenn Beck, remember, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Firefighters'/coppers'/teachers'/major union workers' pensions will be the next shoe to drop. Beck is EGZAKLY right. If you don't understand it, it's because you're not trying -- 'cause you're all intelligent posters.

And now I see that we're worried about deflation. Folks, you ain't seen NOTHIN' yet.

My wife is a Senior Benefits Annalist for a multinational Fortune 500 company.

Glenn Beck knows jack squat about this subject. Anyone gullible enough to buy his nonsense, will believe almost anything. The man is an assclown.

You can lead a progressive horse to water..... Here, let me spell it out for you since you obviously can't figure it out for yourself.

Beck was talking about the pensions of fire fighters, police and teachers. What those professions have in common are they are all funded by our tax money, not profits or share holders. You are talking about a private sector company, which is a completely different situation.

Now how about you watch the video again, and then make a comment on it based on the new information you have just learned.

You can lead a progressive horse to water..... Here, let me spell it out for you since you obviously can't figure it out for yourself.

Beck was talking about the pensions of fire fighters, police and teachers. What those professions have in common are they are all funded by our tax money, not profits or share holders. You are talking about a private sector company, which is a completely different situation.

Now how about you watch the video again, and then make a comment on it based on the new information you have just learned.

Yeah. and you can lead a regressive to reality but you can't make 'em think. I don't watch assclown videos. This particial assclown, clearly has zero knowledge of the world of pensions. My wife has a Master's Degree in it. That assclown has a degree in Advanced BS.

Grim, they KNOW what's wrong with the system, but in their eyes, it's not wrong it's how the system works.

NJ is fixing their problems thanks to a Gov. that has brought the truth to light.

Yeah. and you can lead a regressive to reality but you can't make 'em think. I don't watch assclown videos. This particial assclown, clearly has zero knowledge of the world of pensions. My wife has a Master's Degree in it. That assclown has a degree in Advanced BS.

Then I suggest you consult your wife about the difference between private sector jobs and the public sector jobs, because it's obvious you don't have the first clue. In fact, maybe you should get her to write a response, because it's obvious that all you are good for is launching personal attacks and insults.

btw, labeling yourself "very liberal" was unnesisary... the attacks and refusal to engage in honest dialog gave you away.

To all posters who posted derision on this subject: You don't know what you're talking about. Even if you DESPISE Glenn Beck, remember, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Firefighters'/coppers'/teachers'/major union workers' pensions will be the next shoe to drop. Beck is EGZAKLY right. If you don't understand it, it's because you're not trying -- 'cause you're all intelligent posters.

And now I see that we're worried about deflation. Folks, you ain't seen NOTHIN' yet.

Oh noz, it's the holier than thou, if you don't agree with me, you are stupid argument. I feel so bad for making fun of an idiot like Beck now. Shame on me, I am just a bad person....

Oh noz, it's the holier than thou, if you don't agree with me, you are stupid argument. I feel so bad for making fun of an idiot like Beck now. Shame on me, I am just a bad person....

Any comment on the topic??

Didn't think so... Have a nice day.

In a general sense, I get Beck's point. Early retirement with high pensions is a serious problem in the public sector because they will typically receive their benefits for longer than people in the private sector would. But I don't see any solutions being offered, just bitching.

Here's my take on it: police and firefighters are an absolute necessity and as far as government "waste" goes, they aren't the worst of the lot by a long shot.

Truthfully, I'm OK with making these jobs more appealing in order to get higher quality people filling the roles. There is a lot of fat to be trimmed across the board without actually going after pensions, IMO.

So I say let them have their pensions and early retirement for their dangerous jobs with crappy hours.

Also, I could be wrong on this, but I've been led to believe that the money that pays the police comes form State and local taxes, not federal money. I'm OK with that.

You used the words "wisdom" and "Beck" in the same sentence. I still cannot stop laughing over you doing that.

Yes you can. How do I know? Because a wise man named Rush Limbaugh told me so. And he was very wise. I saw him in one of those Indian trances, having a vision of..... Oops, never mind. It was just the Oxycontin.

Yes you can. How do I know? Because a wise man named Rush Limbaugh told me so. And he was very wise. I saw him in one of those Indian trances, having a vision of..... Oops, never mind. It was just the Oxycontin.

That was harsh...

Actually, I am not quite sure that it is completely different with a private sector company. Either way, promises are being made that may or may not be kept. Either way, the tax payers or the shareholders future well being it being put at risk. Either way, individuals are disincentivised to save and to take care of themselves by the promise of pensions.

In a general sense, I get Beck's point. Early retirement with high pensions is a serious problem in the public sector because they will typically receive their benefits for longer than people in the private sector would. But I don't see any solutions being offered, just bitching.

Here's my take on it: police and firefighters are an absolute necessity and as far as government "waste" goes, they aren't the worst of the lot by a long shot.

Truthfully, I'm OK with making these jobs more appealing in order to get higher quality people filling the roles. There is a lot of fat to be trimmed across the board without actually going after pensions, IMO.

So I say let them have their pensions and early retirement for their dangerous jobs with crappy hours.

Also, I could be wrong on this, but I've been led to believe that the money that pays the police comes form State and local taxes, not federal money. I'm OK with that.

I always thought that fire fighters had great hours. 'Round these parts they work 48 hours on (two days), then get 5 days off, or something like that. Unless they happen to have a fire, they get to sleep while they are "on". It's like getting a 5 day vacation every week. Sounds like a really sweet gig to me.

I have a solution, simply pay them more and tell them that they are going to have to save and invest and be frugle with their money because once they retire, their own their own - just like most of us.

Back
Top Bottom