• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Will's Dominance over Perception

PrometheusBound

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I first noticed this after reading about Schopenhauer's The World as Will and Idea. I took an offramp for the exits to two streets. Since I wanted to exit the second street, I misread the sign to make it seem to be the first exit so I wouldn't get stuck at the light. I turned at the first exit because I wanted it to be the first exit and my convenient perception had made it the first exit.

Likewise, today I wanted the forum's shutdown to be at 9:45 AM, both because of a masochistic desire to have to waste my morning on another forum and because of a positive lazy desire not to have to waste time signing in and be told that the forum has shut down. I also misread the notice yesterday so I could spend 24 hours of the pleasure of being angry at the moderators for interfering with my schedule.

Clever communicators are aware of this and make their pronouncements seem to be what their listeners want to hear, then taking advantage of a captive audience. It's not so much "bait and switch" as making the item that is switched to look like the bait.

Back
Top Bottom