• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The White House is briefing TikTok stars about the war in Ukraine

Schism

Destroyer of Propaganda
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Just be clear, this isn't an Onion piece.

WaPo - The White House is briefing TikTok stars about the war in Ukraine
On Thursday afternoon, 30 top TikTok stars gathered on a Zoom call to receive key information about the war unfolding in Ukraine. National Security Council staffers and White House press secretary Jen Psaki briefed the influencers about the United States’ strategic goals in the region and answered questions on distributing aid to Ukrainians, working with NATO and how the United States would react to a Russian use of nuclear weapons.

As the crisis in Ukraine has escalated, millions have turned to TikTok for information on what is happening there in real time. TikTok videos offered some of the first glimpses of the Russian invasion and since then the platform has been a primary outlet for spreading news to the masses abroad. Ukrainian citizens hiding in bomb shelters or fleeing their homes have shared their stories to the platform, while dangerous misinformation and Russian propaganda have also spread. And TikTok stars, many with millions of followers, have increasingly sought to make sense of the crisis for their audiences.
The White House has been closely watching TikTok’s rise as a dominant news source, leading to its decision to approach a select group of the platform’s most influential names.

If you want to help Ukraine:

Here’s 5 Tik-Tok dances you can do to help Ukraine fight Russia

What the bloody hell happened to this country? Are we a nation of cell phone addicted idiots?

old people won't understand.
I don't think some realize how much influence social media has in getting the word out. This is where many people get their news and if we are spreading the word through these influencers it is accurate and can counter act Russian propaganda. Young people especially do not get their news from television or major news outlets anymore

I don't blame the WH, in fact I commend them for finding new and creative ways to get their message out.

The one's who this should bother is the Legacy Media. They are losing ground to social media.

I don't think some realize how much influence social media has in getting the word out. This is where many people get their news and if we are spreading the word through these influencers it is accurate and can counter act Russian propaganda. Young people especially do not get their news from television or major news outlets anymore
that's why old people won't understand.

while many, ironically, are brainwashed by Fox/etc.

I don't blame the WH, in fact I commend them for finding new and creative ways to get their message out.

The one's who this should bother is the Legacy Media. They are losing ground to social media.

Yes the Chinese app is our new overlord, just accept it

I don't think some realize how much influence social media has in getting the word out.
To imbeciles playing the telephone game. "Hey man, this is my take on what's going down!"

Yeah, we need more opinion.

This is where many people get their news

God help us.

and if we are spreading the word through these influencers it is accurate and can counter act Russian propaganda.

Uh, no it's a garden bed of propaganda and misinformation.

Young people especially do not get their news from television or major news outlets anymore

Because at this point in their lives they already know everything.

What the bloody hell happened to this country? Are we a nation of cell phone addicted idiots?

Well, you think "commies" are still relevant. When Trump is the only one who loves commies in Russia and N. Korea.

Just sayin.

What specifically is your aversion to having most all the knowledge man has accumulated at your finger tips?
Or is it the instant access to friends and family you despise?
Seems to me people 50 years ago were much bigger "idiots" than they are today.
Heck, folks from back then don't even know how to form a thread or opening post.

Trumper complaining about a new president's use of social media to convey a message.
Irony Meter Explodes.

There is such a thing as a "tik tok star?" And the gaffe-meister is courting them? His dementia must be worsening indeed...

Reactions: PoS
What specifically is your aversion to having most all the knowledge man has accumulated at your finger tips?
Or is it the instant access to friends and family you despise?
Seems to me people 50 years ago were much bigger "idiots" than they are today.
Heck, folks from back then don't even know how to form a thread or opening post.
i think he misses...

Encyclopedia Britannica Facsimile First Edition (3 Volumes): Editor Encyclopedia  Britannica: 9781122141949: Amazon.com: Books

You failed to keep up with the changes in technology is what happened... You got left behind to cable news shows...

There is such a thing as a "tik tok star?" And the gaffe-meister is courting them? His dementia must be worsening indeed...

LMAO... There are TikTok stars that have 20-30 times the number of followers than Tucker Carlson has viewers on his best night....

LMAO... There are TikTok stars that have 20-30 times the number of followers than Tucker Carlson has viewers on his best night....
I agree - it's hilarious - even more so that the president of the United States is courting them (which actually isn't hilarious at all, but rather sad and pathetic).

I agree - it's hilarious - even more so that the president of the United States is courting them (which actually isn't hilarious at all, but rather sad and pathetic).

What is sad and pathetic are those still clinging to cable news programs like Fox/OAN/Newsmax..... There are dozens of other communications mediums being used around the world to share news and information to millions and millions of people with a simple click...

Back
Top Bottom