• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Whigs have a candidate!

reefedjib

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
The Modern Whig Party has its first candidate. Jeff Vanke is running in Virginia's 6th congressional district, against an incumbent Republican and no Democrat.

Whig Out!

Independent Candidate Jeff Vanke in second place in U.S. Congressional race

In contrast to nationwide Tea Party campaigns, unique Moderate Battleground develops in Virginia as Modern Whig Party member polls in double digits in head-to-head race against vulnerable Republican incumbent

ROANOKE, VA (Monday, August 16, 2010) - In a campaign that features no Democratic opposition, Jeff Vanke (VA-6, Independent) is currently polling in double digits in his head-to-head U.S. Congressional race in Virginia's 6th District. Vanke is a member of the Modern Whig Party, a national movement that was initially founded by Iraq and Afghanistan veterans and designed to bring moderate common sense, rational solutions ahead of partisan bickering and stark ideology.

"Due to the makeup and dynamics of the race, this is a once-in-an-election scenario where a viable, mainstream independent has a legitimate shot at winning," said Andrew Evans, national chairman of the DC-based Modern Whig movement. "Moderates and independents have been clamoring for years for a viable candidate to emerge in a situation where he or she has a realistic chance against a vulnerable incumbent. The wait is over and we are encouraging all moderates & independents to consider pooling our resources to assist."

Vanke is a moderate, non-fringe, independent candidate and who has practical real world experience that makes him ready to serve Virginia in the U.S. Congress. Vanke has a Ph.D and is a former history professor, author, budget consultant, and small business manager. Vanke is an Eagle Scout and a community volunteer with the PTA and Cub Scouts.

Jeff Vanke, a Whig, running for congress in Virginia's 6th congressional district | The Modern Whig Party of Virginia

More power to him, I don't know much about his platform but I love to see people thinking outside of the Rep/Dem lines.

Sorry you will lose. Don't you realize we only elect Republicans or Democrats here in these United States of America.

Sorry you will lose. Don't you realize we only elect Republicans or Democrats here in these United States of America.

It seems daunting. The Republican has $850,000 dollars on hand. Jeff needs $50,000 to win.

They are selling the seat? :confused:

Isn't that what your typical big government politician, from either party, does for a living...sell their seat?

Isn't that what your typical big government politician, from either party, does for a living...sell their seat?

Hmmmm...... I always thought it was my ass they were selling down the river.

Hmmmm...... I always thought it was my ass they were selling down the river.

:mrgreen: I always thought is was your children's asses they were giving a fait accompli.

If you guys can get enough money to do some TV ads, you'll have a better chance of winning or at least getting good ballot access.

Yeah, his main challenge is getting himself and his platform to the attention of voters. He is constantly out meet and greet. He is forging relationships with the Chamber of Commerce and other civic organizations. He is talking to Tea Party organizations. One great thing he has is his balanced budget spreadsheet. You can play with the numbers and see how you could balance it.

I suggested to him that he endorse the Contract From America. I thought it would be a great way to attract moderate conservatives (fiscal conservatives) to his campaign. He declined as he said there were differences. He doesn't think we should reduce taxes if there is no plan to balance the budget. Once the budget is balanced, reduce taxes. He disagrees with the FairTax. He has differences with the fact that the Contract says balance the budget but fails to provide a prescription as to how to do that. Jeff is a man of principle.

Much luck to him. I like seeing the duopoly challenged. I hope he doesn't have many problems navigating the ballot access laws there.

He is on the ballot as an Independent. VA doesn't allow you to form a party - only Dems and Repubs can do that. You have to be a PAC and since he is a federal candidate, he has to report to the FEC.

If you all are interested in seeing him do well, consider donating.

Yeah, his main challenge is getting himself and his platform to the attention of voters. He is constantly out meet and greet. He is forging relationships with the Chamber of Commerce and other civic organizations. He is talking to Tea Party organizations. One great thing he has is his balanced budget spreadsheet. You can play with the numbers and see how you could balance it.

I suggested to him that he endorse the Contract From America. I thought it would be a great way to attract moderate conservatives (fiscal conservatives) to his campaign. He declined as he said there were differences. He doesn't think we should reduce taxes if there is no plan to balance the budget. Once the budget is balanced, reduce taxes. He disagrees with the FairTax. He has differences with the fact that the Contract says balance the budget but fails to provide a prescription as to how to do that. Jeff is a man of principle.

I hope he wins, sounds like a good guy.
Those tv ads are necessary though.

He is on the ballot as an Independent. VA doesn't allow you to form a party - only Dems and Repubs can do that. You have to be a PAC and since he is a federal candidate, he has to report to the FEC.

If you all are interested in seeing him do well, consider donating.

That's bull **** in my opinion.
What about freedom of association?
I wish people would sue.

That's bull **** in my opinion.
What about freedom of association?
I wish people would sue.

It is this way in most states. (not specifically that you can't form a party onto the ballot) The Dems and Repubs together have made it very difficult for third parties. My top priority is Instant-Runoff Voting throughout the country.

It is this way in most states. (not specifically that you can't form a party onto the ballot) The Dems and Repubs together have made it very difficult for third parties. My top priority is Instant-Runoff Voting throughout the country.

People always talk about Duveger's law but I don't think it's valid when the system is designed to make it difficult for you to even access it as a third party.

More power to him, I don't know much about his platform but I love to see people thinking outside of the Rep/Dem lines.

I agree. However he wrote Europeanism and European Union. Not saying there is anything wrong with that. I'm just ready for some polititions who focus on America.
From what I read , he is brilliant and his students loved him. But we have a brilliant man in the WH and I'm not impressed with him either.

I agree. However he wrote Europeanism and European Union. Not saying there is anything wrong with that. I'm just ready for some polititions who focus on America.
From what I read , he is brilliant and his students loved him. But we have a brilliant man in the WH and I'm not impressed with him either.

Check out his balanced budget spreadsheet: Jeff Vanke for Congress • Virginia 6th District » Balanced Budget - Center Party of the United States He is focused on America.

I have communicated witht him a little and he has related his knowledge of third party politics in Europe to America. He uses his knowledge of history as it appplies to the US.

Jeff Vanke here. Thanks for following my news.

The difference in this race is, there's no Dem against the Republican incumbent. If I flip 21% of the Republican's 2008 vote (when a Dem ran), I can win. It's already happening, among the 11,000 voters I've personally met and beyond. The challenge is to get the same message out -- as summarized in my brochure -- to the rest of the electorate. That plus a phone call or two per voter can do the job. Radio ads and a few cable ads would be helpful, but not necessary (and not very expensive).

Yes, I wrote a book on European history. That doesn't mean I don't know about the U.S. Some of the college courses I used to teach -- WW2, Cold War -- involved a whole lot of American history. Yes, a lot of professors don't have the sense needed to be good leaders. Obama's White House, for example, can't even include balanced budgets eight years down the line in its most optimistic projections. Mine balances in four years.

For the record, Virginia does recognize political parties that have broadly established statewide organizations -- the Libertarians qualify for that, for example. However, for automatic ballot access, a party must have won 10% (I think that's it) in an immediate past statewide election. Also, those parties -- only Dems & Republicans -- are eligible for the top physical spots on the ballot, which conveys a certain advantage.

Virginia's ballot access for Independents is reasonable, and I am already on the ballot.

Here's the deal. I can win this election if I can make sure voters get my message -- it's working, broadly. That doesn't take tons of money. But it takes some, and I'm pursuing this in several lines. If you prefer that I win in this race, please consider making a contribution -- if wait for others to do it first, that's akin to not voting on Election Day because you think your preference can't win. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you vote because it's important, you should on occasion give a little money to your favorite candidates for the same reason.

If I get average donations of just $25 from everyone who has a preference in my race, I'll get enough to win. If you have $5-10 on your credit card to spare, that works; the average will be lifted by others who have the means.

Thanks.
Jeff Vanke for Congress • Virginia 6th District - Center Party of the United States

(PS Sorry whoever tried to contact me live -- my browser blocked the popup when I tried to open it.)

Jeff Vanke here. Thanks for following my news.

The difference in this race is, there's no Dem against the Republican incumbent. If I flip 21% of the Republican's 2008 vote (when a Dem ran), I can win. It's already happening, among the 11,000 voters I've personally met and beyond. The challenge is to get the same message out -- as summarized in my brochure -- to the rest of the electorate. That plus a phone call or two per voter can do the job. Radio ads and a few cable ads would be helpful, but not necessary (and not very expensive).

Yes, I wrote a book on European history. That doesn't mean I don't know about the U.S. Some of the college courses I used to teach -- WW2, Cold War -- involved a whole lot of American history. Yes, a lot of professors don't have the sense needed to be good leaders. Obama's White House, for example, can't even include balanced budgets eight years down the line in its most optimistic projections. Mine balances in four years.

For the record, Virginia does recognize political parties that have broadly established statewide organizations -- the Libertarians qualify for that, for example. However, for automatic ballot access, a party must have won 10% (I think that's it) in an immediate past statewide election. Also, those parties -- only Dems & Republicans -- are eligible for the top physical spots on the ballot, which conveys a certain advantage.

Virginia's ballot access for Independents is reasonable, and I am already on the ballot.

Here's the deal. I can win this election if I can make sure voters get my message -- it's working, broadly. That doesn't take tons of money. But it takes some, and I'm pursuing this in several lines. If you prefer that I win in this race, please consider making a contribution -- if wait for others to do it first, that's akin to not voting on Election Day because you think your preference can't win. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you vote because it's important, you should on occasion give a little money to your favorite candidates for the same reason.

If I get average donations of just $25 from everyone who has a preference in my race, I'll get enough to win. If you have $5-10 on your credit card to spare, that works; the average will be lifted by others who have the means.

Thanks.
Jeff Vanke for Congress • Virginia 6th District - Center Party of the United States

(PS Sorry whoever tried to contact me live -- my browser blocked the popup when I tried to open it.)

I do hope you win, I'd like to see more serious competition between the entrenched, establishment candidates.

I don't know how your campaign advertising is going but I suggest trying to get some marketing students to help you with advertising.
Good marketing and name recognition can be a real winner in the election process.
Just some food for thought.

I admit his budget sounds good. Finally some common sense if he means it.

I was going to do more research and then maybe send you a small check even though I'm not in VA. Doesn't anyone use physical addresses anymore? Sorry, I stopped using credit cards online and I no longer have Pay-Pal and don't plan to.

Back
Top Bottom