• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The West Is on Fire. Trump Hasn’t Bothered Mentioning It

Wrong. When I was a park ranger I sat in on the spotted owl hearings.

The reason for the build up in the forests was COMMON forest company practice at the time to preserve the forests and not let the regular normal wildfires run thru them and take out the flammable understory.

Clear cuts were never enough to reduce fire danger, they didnt reduce the understory but they almost immediately created a new one with no trees when the pioneer species started growing back in.

When was that? 1940?

- I have never said people should stay in place. There are reasons they need to leave the area.
- Modify the fuels in and around the structures. (especially the ground fuels)

Take a look at Paradise. It had high density homes with vegetation up to the structure..
- https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/Fire-causes-and-risks/Wildfire/Firewise-USA

I suggest you study up on how homes ignite from forest fires.

https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/09/2...extreme-wildfires-is-a-home-ignition-problem/

Take a look at this article
https://wildfiretoday.com/2018/02/12/prevent-house-burning-wildfire/?hilite='jack','cohen'
Just took a gander at your sources. Interesting but here's the hard part. These people just need to move because they are in harms way, and no matter what they do, a significant amount of these fires are created by infrastructure supporting THEM, like electric lines. Aside from which, these people are not the only victims. It's the wildlife, it's the air, it's livestock, it's every living thing. We talk about "firewise" but it's nothing more than pie in the sky excuses to give people a false sense of security. With enough heat, concrete will disintegrate; metal roofs will heat up to the point of transferred combustion; the crap IN their houses is more often than not toxic; we all know that plastic is to a degree is petroleum based. These are all things we know. And aside from which, what right do these people have to put firefighters and the flora and fauna at risk because of them?? Thanks!!

Uh huh...you've gone off the rails here.

At this point, 'I dont care' about your opinion on this, which is pretty uninformed and so not particularly credible.
Then stop replying if you don't care. I've already acknowledged the issue with the post and apologized. It's too bad you're such an opportunist, taking full advantage to be mean-spirited albeit absolutely void of relevant information or even a relevant opinion. Good for you. Thanks!!

Just took a gander at your sources. Interesting but here's the hard part. These people just need to move because they are in harms way, and no matter what they do, a significant amount of these fires are created by infrastructure supporting THEM, like electric lines. Aside from which, these people are not the only victims. It's the wildlife, it's the air, it's livestock, it's every living thing. We talk about "firewise" but it's nothing more than pie in the sky excuses to give people a false sense of security. With enough heat, concrete will disintegrate; metal roofs will heat up to the point of transferred combustion; the crap IN their houses is more often than not toxic; we all know that plastic is to a degree is petroleum based. These are all things we know. And aside from which, what right do these people have to put firefighters and the flora and fauna at risk because of them?? Thanks!!
We will agree to disagree regarding wildfires and homes.
Spent 30 years in wildfire management from hotshot crew to managing fire operations at the Statewide level. Firewise works but it takes time.

When was that? 1940?
Were you too stupid to research the spotted owl measures you posted in your response? If you werent that stupid, then you'd know the answer to your question. Which is it?

Then stop replying if you don't care. I've already acknowledged the issue with the post and apologized. It's too bad you're such an opportunist, taking full advantage to be mean-spirited albeit absolutely void of relevant information or even a relevant opinion. Good for you. Thanks!!
Maybe someday, you'll notice that the posts are in chronological order and people come to one and comment on it...and then come to another and then comment on it. If your apology comes later...um, I dont have a time machine :rolleyes:

And I respond when I want to, if I want to clarify or make a point for others to consider.

Were you too stupid to research the spotted owl measures you posted in your response? If you werent that stupid, then you'd know the answer to your question. Which is it?

I didn't post anything about no spotted owls.

I didn't post anything about no spotted owls.
Then the other option is you were too stupid to connect the dots they clearly identified...spotted owl hearings in the 40s? :rolleyes:

Another giant fail for you.

We're not talking about making houses fireproof in a blast furnace. We're talking about them surviving a few burning embers, or the house next door catching on fire.

We're not talking about making houses fireproof in a blast furnace. We're talking about them surviving a few burning embers, or the house next door catching on fire.
When I bought my house, one of the things that really sold me was the metal roof.

When I bought my house, one of the things that really sold me was the metal roof.

That seems to be an easy, common sense solution.

In my experience with Alaskan reality TV shows... :) In areas prone to forest fires, their key protection is a metal roof, limit trees around the house, and have a pond nearby.

Back
Top Bottom