• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The West Is on Fire. Trump Hasn’t Bothered Mentioning It

The leading cause of the fires in California is the electric lines that are either overloaded, poorly designed, or poorly maintained. I've seen estimates of 40-70% of the fires are started from these. The fire that wiped out Paradise last year was the direct result of wiring that was almost a century old. The infrastructure is ancient. Right-of-ways are not maintained appropriately (for power lines or roads). Of note is that Oregon does a better job of this, and has fewer fires.

What California SHOULD do is force their electric utilities (the worst of which, PG&E, is now bankrupt) to replace outdated and overloaded equipment, and to use safer and more modern equipment designed to NOT start fires in high wind conditions. They should also maintain the power line right-of-ways, clearing them of things that can catch fire, hit, or fall on, the lines. Cleared areas to each side of transmission lines and roadways limits fire potential, creates fire breaks, and allows access during an emergency. (That's proven and is the standard in most states). Oregon does a much better job of this, which is part of the reason their fire issue isn't as severe.

California has ignored these things which could drastically decrease the number of fires, limit the spread of fires, improve the ability to fight fires, and allow access to (and escape from) areas on fire. The state is responsible for setting these standards, as well as oversight of public utilities. Putting party politics aside, the state has failed. Period.

The leading cause of the fires in California is the electric lines that are either overloaded, poorly designed, or poorly maintained. I've seen estimates of 40-70% of the fires are started from these. The fire that wiped out Paradise last year was the direct result of wiring that was almost a century old. The infrastructure is ancient. Right-of-ways are not maintained appropriately (for power lines or roads). Of note is that Oregon does a better job of this, and has fewer fires.

What California SHOULD do is force their electric utilities (the worst of which, PG&E, is now bankrupt) to replace outdated and overloaded equipment, and to use safer and more modern equipment designed to NOT start fires in high wind conditions. They should also maintain the power line right-of-ways, clearing them of things that can catch fire, hit, or fall on, the lines. Cleared areas to each side of transmission lines and roadways limits fire potential, creates fire breaks, and allows access during an emergency. (That's proven and is the standard in most states). Oregon does a much better job of this, which is part of the reason their fire issue isn't as severe.

California has ignored these things which could drastically decrease the number of fires, limit the spread of fires, improve the ability to fight fires, and allow access to (and escape from) areas on fire. The state is responsible for setting these standards, as well as oversight of public utilities. Putting party politics aside, the state has failed. Period.

Please provide the source of your data. I know some large fires were started by powerlines (PGE). I doubt if 40-70% of CA wildfires are started from just power lines.

Getting PGE to update their lines and keep up with powerline right of way maintenance is one part of the puzzle. Homeowners need to Firewise their homes and property. Zoning laws need to be changed regarding where and how homes can be built in fire prone areas.

Please provide the source of your data. I know some large fires were started by powerlines (PGE). I doubt if 40-70% of CA wildfires are started from just power lines.

Getting PGE to update their lines and keep up with powerline right of way maintenance is one part of the puzzle. Homeowners need to Firewise their homes and property. Zoning laws need to be changed regarding where and how homes can be built in fire prone areas.
No, sorry. Firewising their homes is not the answer. It's not the electric company's problem that a bunch of idiots ignite a forest fire because of a"gender identification" party. The solution is not living in rural zones, albeit currently the states don't have the moral decency or fortitude to ban idiotic parties and trash burning and restrict certain areas to housing, And on a federal and global level, not contributing to overpopulation is another answer, probably the only real answer. No doubt very unpopular with our ego-centric species. Thanks!!

No, sorry. Firewising their homes is not the answer. It's not the electric company's problem that a bunch of idiots ignite a forest fire because of a"gender identification" party. The solution is not living in rural zones, albeit currently the states don't have the moral decency or fortitude to ban idiotic parties and trash burning and restrict certain areas to housing, And on a federal and global level, not contributing to overpopulation is another answer, probably the only real answer. No doubt very unpopular with our ego-centric species. Thanks!!
I agree overpopulation is an issue.
I disagree with your comment about Firewise. It does work. I spent my career in wildfire. You should look at the article on WildFire Today
https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/09/2...extreme-wildfires-is-a-home-ignition-problem/

I guess we already have 1 case of arson for the Oregon fires.

Man arrested, charged with arson in connection with southern Oregon fire - oregonlive.com

Oregon police dismiss inundated calls of arson as bogus and ignore all the phone calls

Oregon Police Inundated by False Reports of Antifa Arson
Nothing in there said the arsonist was Antifa or political at all. Fire bugs come out everytime there are wildfires. And then just like meth head in your article, they stand and watch it. They get off on it. Sickos, but I'm not seeing political stance mentioned. And don't use the old argument that it's being covered up by the mainstream media--more bulloney.

The Federals Deny

just liberate "the West"
of the Federals!

federal_lands.jpg

Wind also blows trees onto powerlines. It started one of the fires here. It's not uncommon.

For those of us who try our best to educate ourselves about the ecosphere, we understand global changes related to accelerated earth temperature are causing intense forest fires after draughts. They are part of a phenomena regarding ocean currents changed from warmer surface temperature on sea that then change wind current and weather conditions regarding rains, hurricanes, typhoons..

If that were true, how would you explain-

As NASA reports:

One of the most interesting things researchers have discovered since MODIS began collecting measurements, noted Randerson, is a decrease in the total number of square kilometers burned each year. Between 2003 and 2019, that number has dropped by roughly 25 percent.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-10.51.36-AM.png

While according to the warmers we are experiencing the highest levels of CO2 and temperature.

Wind also blows trees onto powerlines. It started one of the fires here. It's not uncommon.

If those trees had been cut back from the powerline right-of-way, it wouldn't have fell on the powerline.

Yes - that's the issue that California is having. Wind does not blow trees into powerlines if they aren't next to the lines. With the power lines in a neighborhood, where the risk is less, this means trimming the trees back. With transmission lines, most states remove trees on both sides of the lines so that even a falling tree can't impact the lines.

Part of the wildfire problem in the west is environmentalist pushing for so many laws that hamstring fire control. For instance, they can't go out and trim back the underbrush to help prevent fires and he spread of fires. The waste money on liberal programs and paying for drug programs and they can't keep the area safe adn don't have the manpower to deal with the fires.

So basically, in order to combat the impact of climate change, caused by America's system of crony capitalism, you have to roll back spending on programs that actually benefit the American population? Can we just, you know, not give golden fellatios to the super-rich?

Electric lines create a significant number of the fires - I've seen estimates of 40-70% of the California fires (Including the fire that wiped out the town of Paradise last year). No, they can't prevent idiots from accidentally starting a fire, or arsonists. But if you can remove half the fires from the equation, it would make a tremendous difference.

Note that California and the biggest power company, PG&E, is very aware of this. Their solution - cut power to areas during periods of high winds. Intentional blackouts to communities rather than maintaining the lines.

Last edited:
Just to highlight what we're talking about... These are some transmission lines in California, along with the diagram of how they are supposed to be maintaining the lines.

3da695e4-4ef6-4e22-8ad6-f7a99417446b-large16x9_AP19284156502210.jpg

smoke-from-the-wildfires-rises-from-a-hillside-near-power-lines-outside-azusa-california-monday-june-20-2016.jpg

0719-08-7-RtOfWay-Zones.ashx

Thank you. A specific reply indicating what the state can improve on. I wrongfully thought as I am sure many do that most of these fires are natural lightening strikes or careless people. Thank you for the clarification.

I am reading you and DP. I appreciate the responses from both of you on this subject.

He’s been talking about it. He’s been talking about the failed policies forced upon us by the environmental extremists. It’s time for western state governors and their legislatures to reverse those policies.

Which policies? Do you Trumpets ever provide any specifics about anything? What is wrong and why and what has Trump proposed to resolve it? Do you know? Doesn't sound like it.

I think states have different needs and the feds should not apply “one size fits all” standards or requirements. Our system of government is based on the concept of federalism. If you don’t know what that is, look it up.
Do you know what NEPA is?
Yes, I know what "federalism" is. Tell us how federal land management agencies (Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, etc.) fits into your idea the States need to do more.? Who do you believe federal public lands belong to?

Which policies? Do you Trumpets ever provide any specifics about anything? What is wrong and why and what has Trump proposed to resolve it? Do you know? Doesn't sound like it.
Trumpets?

So, wanting to return to sound forest management practices where deadfall is removed and underbrush controlled is a bad thing?

Why is everything relative to Trump with liberal loons? Are governors and state legislatures not held accountable any longer?

Western states have sued the US forest service to prevent them from maintaining federal forest lands because the rabid environmental extremists are in control

Trumpets?

So, wanting to return to sound forest management practices where deadfall is removed and underbrush controlled is a bad thing?

Why is everything relative to Trump with liberal loons? Are governors and state legislatures not held accountable any longer?

Western states have sued the US forest service to prevent them from maintaining federal forest lands because the rabid environmental extremists are in control

Trump has never proposed a sound forest management practice nor you for that matter have you. You even know what a tree is? You think Trump does? Can you get real? All he has done is cut funding. Go look. Not one damn policy from him as to forest management so don't pose as if he is a champion of forests and proper forest management he's not. He is playing the issue to try get people angry at Democrats so they will vote for him. Its transparent and clearly someone like you still buys into this kind of manipulative crap. What he does and you do is exploit an apolitical issue to Trumpet. You and he make it about him for political reasons. Its what he does. His entire m.o. is to point out something wrong but propose no damn solution at all. He then uses that negative whine, to make people like you believe he is with you in doing something about it and yet other than speak in vague ambiguous negative terms, he never has proposed any solution to a damn thing.

What forest management policy has he ever proposed? Please provide them. While you are at it, provide the medical program he promised. Lol.

Why is everything relative to Trump? How and why would you ask that? He makes it so. He is a narcissist and takes any issue he can find and redirects it as being about how smart he is. His entire premises is to complain and offer no solutions and use negative tense and reference to whip h is constituents like you into a frenzy.

You want to know what its about Trump-because he makes it about himself. Its the way he gets his entire message across. I do criticize the press for being so easily manipulated by him though. When he gets caught lying he just blurts out another lie and the press scurries from one lie to the next like hound dogs running after a fox.

They should have learned long ago he was a pathological liar and not to feed his platform and simply react calmly to his lies by exposing them.

Maybe they do play him up a bit too much but hey would you have it any other way? This is what you wanted- a bully, a know it all, someone who huffs and puffs and claims he is the smartest person on the planet and knows it all about everything and yet the man can't get out a clear sentence, can not read or write, clearly has early dementia, and thinks other people other then himself are fat and demented. Lol.

Why is it about Trump. Golly gee. Why is it about sex when someone asks you about how people get sexually transmitted diseases? Gosh hmm let me think about that. Come on man. The only trumpet player I really liked was Miles Davis.

Last edited:
Thank you. A specific reply indicating what the state can improve on. I wrongfully thought as I am sure many do that most of these fires are natural lightening strikes or careless people. Thank you for the clarification.

I'm sure many are caused by lightning or carelessness. Some are intentional. But again, if you can stop the electrical fires, that's a win.

I'll just add that clearing power line right of ways helps fight the other types of fires. In my state (Texas) they use these as fire breaks, and often put an access road usually dirt right down the middle. These provide an easy and safe firebreak for fire containment, as well as access to areas by truck rather than on foot.

Clearing the area on each side of a highway gives many of the same benefits, as well as limiting the chance of accidental fires on the roadside (cigarettes or cars pulled over onto grass) of spreading. This also gives a safe emergency exit from the area. Again, looking at the paradise fire, where many were trapped, it's terrifying to look at those roads and think of trying to escape during a fire.

SJM-L-KMFIRE-1110-211.jpg

ss-181109-paradise-fire-update-02_6b41362a29e57ffa41605fa866ecfaaa.fit-760w.jpg

Trumpets?

I agree that we need to get back to managing the forests for stand density and fuel load.

What some seem to forget that some of the larger fires in CA are not in "forests". The fires are burning in chaparral stands and grasslands. So managing the fuel on the ground won't work in these areas.

I agree that we need to get back to managing the forests for stand density and fuel load.

What some seem to forget that some of the larger fires in CA are not in "forests". The fires are burning in chaparral stands and grasslands. So managing the fuel on the ground won't work in these areas.
Absolutely.

If that were true, how would you explain-

As NASA reports:

One of the most interesting things researchers have discovered since MODIS began collecting measurements, noted Randerson, is a decrease in the total number of square kilometers burned each year. Between 2003 and 2019, that number has dropped by roughly 25 percent.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-10.51.36-AM.png

While according to the warmers we are experiencing the highest levels of CO2 and temperature.
I dont think they understand that before humans settled in California, fires burned between 4 and 12 million acres every year. These fires are small compared to those. Not to mention the intensity of fires in Cali are due to a surplus of fuel caused by people preventing fires from burning their natural course and preventing forest management.

Yes - that's the issue that California is having. Wind does not blow trees into powerlines if they aren't next to the lines. With the power lines in a neighborhood, where the risk is less, this means trimming the trees back. With transmission lines, most states remove trees on both sides of the lines so that even a falling tree can't impact the lines.
In N. CA, W. WA and OR, the trees are very tall and are in every neighborhood. Every yard.

Back
Top Bottom