• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The West Is on Fire. Trump Hasn’t Bothered Mentioning It

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
At the moment, President Donald Trump is attempting to manage the revelation that he intentionally downplayed the COVID-19 pandemic, which has now killed upward of 191,000 Americans. That effort has apparently left little room on his mental plate for the dozens of fires currently ravaging California, Oregon, and Washington.At a Thursday press conference, Trump neglected to address the fires, nor was he asked to by the White House press corps. While the president signed a disaster declaration for California back in August, he has yet to do so for Oregon, which is in the throes of a catastrophe that could result in “the greatest loss of human lives and property due to wildfire in our state’s history,” according to Governor Kate Brown.
Trump has become notorious for blaming the West’s yearly blazes on states’ poor forest management and threatening to withhold federal funds. At a campaign rally in Pennsylvania in August, Trump said, “They’re starting again in California. I said, you gotta clean your floors, you gotta clean your forests—there are many, many years of leaves and broken trees and they’re like, like, so flammable, you touch them and it goes up.” According to CNN, it’s the last time he addressed the fires. The last time he dispatched a tweet about wildfires was on August 6.

Trump Silent on Western Wildfires as Historic Disaster Continues

Crickets. Such leadership.

Historic?

I can't speak to Oregon.

But have you lived in California?

I have.

It's almost an ANNUAL tinderbox. These kinds of fires happen all the time there.

The President has nothing to do with this. It is a STATE issue, and the California government at all levels should have been maintaining disaster planning and funding countermeasures.

IMO money that would have been better spent to protect CA residents, property, and natural resources, than on all those "Sanctuary State" money-pit programs.

Perhaps the Pacific Northwest should have been too? You'd know better than I up there. :shrug:

Last edited:
our country currently does not have a President.

Part of the wildfire problem in the west is environmentalist pushing for so many laws that hamstring fire control. For instance, they can't go out and trim back the underbrush to help prevent fires and he spread of fires. The waste money on liberal programs and paying for drug programs and they can't keep the area safe adn don't have the manpower to deal with the fires.

Historic?

I can't speak to Oregon.

I have.

It's almost an ANNUAL tinderbox. These kinds of fires happen all the time there.

The President has nothing to do with this. It is a STATE issue, and the California government at all levels should have been maintaining disaster planning and funding countermeasures.

IMO money that would have been better spent to protect CA residents, property, and natural resources, than on all those "Sanctuary State" money-pit programs.

Perhaps the Pacific Northwest should have been too? You'd know better than I up there. :shrug:

In 2015, Obama declared a National Disaster over the giant wildfire then. He called the governor, and he proposed funding changes to address the problem.That's what Presidents do when one of our states is in crisis.

Historic?

I can't speak to Oregon.

I have.

I am 65. A 3rd generation Seattle native. Until a few years ago, I had never seen smoke in Western WA. Now sadly it has become an annual occurrence. We have always had fires. But NOTHING like this.

The democrats have done a terrible job of running California, they don't like federal interference and all of a sudden they want Trump to Help.

Yeah the idiots don't rake the forests.

Part of the wildfire problem in the west is environmentalist pushing for so many laws that hamstring fire control. For instance, they can't go out and trim back the underbrush to help prevent fires and he spread of fires. The waste money on liberal programs and paying for drug programs and they can't keep the area safe adn don't have the manpower to deal with the fires.

You have absolutely no concept of what forest in the west are.

Air quality here today is the worst on the planet. :(

People in 3 state firezones have lost everything, including lives.

Thanks for noticing this global event Donald. Sorry it isnt as important as your failing campaign.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

He's totally clueless.

Maybe he'll go trim back all the underbrush in the national forests near him. :roll: I mean, fire doesnt jump and move, maybe he'll invent a home that isnt flammable. I hear the Inuit managed.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

False. Or, feel free to source it.

Considering how much gets burned each year, I'm surprised you have any trees left. Being from New England, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how big your state and your forests must be.

Considering how much gets burned each year, I'm surprised you have any trees left. Being from New England, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how big your state and your forests must be.

And our trees are huge.

I'm from NJ. The branches on our trees are bigger than alot of the trees back east.

LOL. Rake the forests. Go ahead volunteer.

Well that is just it. They are massive. That said, these fires are epic. Meanwhile Trump watches 8 hours a day of Fox.

The party of environmental regulation can't manage their forests. Surprise.

No matter how hard one tries to spin it, this isn't a Trump-made issue.

Democratic Party led states have failed their cities and their rural treasures. What a crap party of failed policy.

The party of environmental regulation can't manage their forests. Surprise.

No matter how hard one tries to spin it, this isn't a Trump-made issue.

Democratic Party led states have failed their cities and their rural treasures. What a crap party of failed policy.

Global warming suggests your comments are total horse****. But hey, live on in your science free world.

Global warming suggests your comments are total horse****. But hey, live on in your science free world.

How long have California, Oregon, and Washington been under democrat leadership?

:lamo

Historic?

I can't speak to Oregon.

I have.

Trump has nothing to do with starting the fires, but his idiocy is in plain view: we haven’t been raking enough. They’re called “National Forests,” you moron! You are in charge of the rakes.

How long have California, Oregon, and Washington been under democrat leadership?

:lamo

"Correlation is not causation." :roll:

Our forests are not the same as interior states' forests. They are very different habitats. And the weather patterns and rainfall differ in each region every year. Climate change is exacerbating changes in weather pattterns.

Do you think all forests are the same? :doh The forest habitats are different in AZ, AK, CO, S. CA, N. CA and OR/WA, for ex.

In 2015, Obama declared a National Disaster over the giant wildfire then. He called the governor, and he proposed funding changes to address the problem.That's what Presidents do when one of our states is in crisis.

So when governors are denying any federal aid that the president tries to lend to the state, while it's citizens are being beaten and it's property is being burned. Is that something that governors should do?

Because that's probably the same kind of response Trump would've gotten in this instance as well.

Back
Top Bottom