• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The West Is on Fire. Trump Hasn’t Bothered Mentioning It

As far as your first point. No it is not ok. Homeowners need to Firewise their property. People like the Bundy's should not be allowed to utilize public lands.

Local/State governments play a role because they do not want to set proper zoning laws to reduce the of wildfire.

Insurance companies are starting to wise up. I expect unless your home meets Firewise standards a homeowner will not be able to get an insurance policy.

I agree with all of your points, although I don't know what the insurance companies are doing to mitigate the problem. I know that flood insurance is federally funded, so that the wealthy living on the beach get to rebuild every time a hurricane blasts their houses off their foundations, thanks in part to the leniency of the average taxpayer.

There is a silver lining, I suppose, to every cloud. The upside to the California wildfires has been the redwood trees. Fire is part of their ecosystem, and they can propagate. Remarkable. Thanks!!

I've learned a lot from this thread, and it sounds like most people agree the feds and the state both need to get busy clearing brush and dead wood from the forests as an ongoing priority. Also, why aren't the routes of the power lines cleared? We do that here in Maine. I think like the rest of our infrastructure, it's just not sexy enough an issue to get Congress's attention. One thing that might help a little is if people were permitted to go in and "harvest" dead wood from the state and federal forests. New York did that after we had the "Ice Storm of the Century " upstate; it was devastating to the hard woods--looked like a bomb had gone off everywhere. We heard the sound of chain saws for two years cleaning it all up and a lot of people got good hardwood for their fireplaces for free.

I've learned a lot from this thread, and it sounds like most people agree the feds and the state both need to get busy clearing brush and dead wood from the forests as an ongoing priority. Also, why aren't the routes of the power lines cleared? We do that here in Maine. I think like the rest of our infrastructure, it's just not sexy enough an issue to get Congress's attention. One thing that might help a little is if people were permitted to go in and "harvest" dead wood from the state and federal forests. New York did that after we had the "Ice Storm of the Century " upstate; it was devastating to the hard woods--looked like a bomb had gone off everywhere. We heard the sound of chain saws for two years cleaning it all up and a lot of people got good hardwood for their fireplaces for free.

There are lots of people who would gladly remove the deadwood from federal and State lands, at no cost to the taxpayer. All they require is the government to allow it. Some States do allow the public to glean deadwood from State lands, but the feds won't allow it in National Parks. I know people who glean deadwood from federal BLM lands, I'm not sure if they are permitted or not.

We also had a serious problem with spruce beetles back in the 1990s. They killed millions of acres, which ultimately led to the biggest fire in the last century with 6.5 million acres burned in 2004.

Since I happen to live in a forest, I have to say that am in favor of removing as much deadwood as possible.

That's a great question. I've heard estimates that 40-70% of the fires in California are started by power lines - either old, inadequate, poorly maintained, or not cleared. This is the responsilbity of the state power company, and the state to monitor. The Paradise fire was caused by power lines, and complicated by roads overrun with fire (trees right up to the road). It seems like the easy fix would be to clear the right of way on each side of both power lines and roads - to prevent the electrical fires, add firebreaks, improve access, and stop people from being trapped by burning roads.

It's also crazy to see houses, and whole towns, built into the woods going up in flames. In hurricane prone areas, building codes and insurance requirements put in requirements to make homes less susceptible to wind and flood damage. Why aren't they doing the same thing in areas prone to fire? Require fire resistant materials, thinning of trees around homes, control of vegetation near communities, etc. While forest fires may not be preventable, houses and towns could be better protected.

That's a great question. I've heard estimates that 40-70% of the fires in California are started by power lines - either old, inadequate, poorly maintained, or not cleared.

PG&E is without a doubt the most worthless utility company in America.

SIAP. What can the federal gov't do to prevent the fires? Better question, what can states that are on fire allow the federal gov't to do to prevent the fires in their states?

Oh I don't know. Maybe send in the NG to rake the forest.

PG&E is without a doubt the most worthless utility company in America.

No doubt. The blame doesn't stop with them though - the state public utility commission shares much of the blame. They establish the standards, and approve P&G's work.

SIAP. What can the federal gov't do to prevent the fires? Better question, what can states that are on fire allow the federal gov't to do to prevent the fires in their states?

Allow the public to glean deadwood from federal lands. By removing the deadwood from the forests you are removing fuel for future fires, and it doesn't cost the taxpayer a single penny. Currently the federal government, as well as many States, prohibit the public from collecting deadwood from State and federal lands.

Air quality here today is the worst on the planet. :(

People in 3 state firezones have lost everything, including lives.

Thanks for noticing this global event Donald. Sorry it isnt as important as your failing campaign.

Sometimes i worry If trumpists acknowledged climate change, more eco fash would spring up.

Allow the public to glean deadwood from federal lands. By removing the deadwood from the forests you are removing fuel for future fires, and it doesn't cost the taxpayer a single penny. Currently the federal government, as well as many States, prohibit the public from collecting deadwood from State and federal lands.

They charge for permits here to do that, on DNR (federal) lands. And people totally go for it. They even have 3 different levels of what you can take. "Dead" (still upright), "Dead and down," and I forget the 3rd category. It's allowed Oct thru Dec 31.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Historic?

I can't speak to Oregon.

But have you lived in California?

I have.

It's almost an ANNUAL tinderbox. These kinds of fires happen all the time there.

The President has nothing to do with this. It is a STATE issue, and the California government at all levels should have been maintaining disaster planning and funding countermeasures....

You're wrong as usual.

Trump Blames California for Fires. He Should Check to See Whose Land They’re On.

But when Trump met California officials this week for a briefing on the wildfires, CalFire director Thomas Porter showed him a map of California’s fires, most of which were located on territory the map colored green.

“All of the green," Porter told him, "is federal lands.”

As residents of the region know well, huge swaths of the American West are federally owned. Nearly 60 percent of the forests in California, 25 percent of the forests in Oregon, and 44 percent in Washington are national forests. For the most part, the forests burning across the West—the fires the president blames on state officials—are on federal lands.

You so understand that "Federal" means "not state", right?

The democrats have done a terrible job of running California, they don't like federal interference and all of a sudden they want Trump to Help.

Will you please post a source where Californian residents or CA government officials have refused Federal assistance for forest management or fire-fighting assistance?

Or just admit where you pulled your "facts" from.

I am 65. A 3rd generation Seattle native. Until a few years ago, I had never seen smoke in Western WA. Now sadly it has become an annual occurrence. We have always had fires. But NOTHING like this.

I live in North King County in WA since '73 except for the 6 years my company relocated me to the Dallas, TX area. It's been really, really eerie with the days of haze here in WA. You'd think our rain last night would have done a better job of cleaning the air!

Considering how much gets burned each year, I'm surprised you have any trees left. Being from New England, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how big your state and your forests must be.

You guys have the White Mountain NF in New Hampshire.

How long have California, Oregon, and Washington been under democrat leadership?

:lamo

Not as long as the National Forests have been under Federal leadership. trumpitst have been force-fed alternative facts for so long they've lost the ability to face reality.

Beautiful place.

I'm no stranger to woods; I live in Maine. Seems to be on a whole different scale, though.

I am in Olympia WA right now. Scouting land for retirement and checking out the protests (not much going on that I could find)

All the way from San Diego it was like it was overcast but it was smoke.

When I got to Oregon it became like fog. Still is here in WA.

Historic?

I can't speak to Oregon.

But have you lived in California?

I have.

It's almost an ANNUAL tinderbox. These kinds of fires happen all the time there.

The President has nothing to do with this. It is a STATE issue, and the California government at all levels should have been maintaining disaster planning and funding countermeasures.

IMO money that would have been better spent to protect CA residents, property, and natural resources, than on all those "Sanctuary State" money-pit programs.

Perhaps the Pacific Northwest should have been too? You'd know better than I up there. :shrug:

Oh but a simple Google search yields:

Google said:
How much of the California fires are on federal land?
Since the federal government owns nearly 58 percent of California's 33 million acres of forestlands, while the state owns 3 percent, joint state-federal management is crucial to California's overall forest health and wildfire resilience.Aug 13, 2020

It's not like some states prohibit the federal gov't from removing deadwood from federal lands like some states prohibit ICE from prosecuting illegal immigration?

Sidenote: Will there have to be a federal official created to monitor the taking away of deadwood from federal lands if your proposal is carried out? Better be sure there will be a state official created...

Last edited:

In Arizona all I had to do was get a fuel wood permit for $5 from the FS and I was good to go for dead and down.

I agree more areas should be opened up to allow the public to gather dead and down wood.

It's not like some states prohibit the federal gov't from removing deadwood from federal lands like some states prohibit ICE from prosecuting illegal immigration?

Sidenote: Will there have to be a federal official created to monitor the taking away of deadwood from federal lands if your proposal is carried out? Better be sure there will be a state official created...

System is already in place. Just do a search on what is available in your area.

"Collecting firewood or other products for personal use is available on many National Forests and BLM Units. These activities may require a permit. Contact your local National Forest or BLM office first to see if they offer permits. A few links are provided. Remember, all commercial uses or removal of products on public lands require a permit.

Looking for information on Fuel wood, Christmas Tree permits, mushrooms, or other forest products for personal use? Information on the availability, price and application process must be obtained from the National Forest which you desire to obtain the product."
USDA Forest Service - Caring for the land and serving people.

States have no say over federal lands and cannot prohibit anything. Some States, like Alaska, allow the public to take deadwood from State lands, but there is a prohibition with the federal government that prevents the public from collecting deadwood from federal lands.

No new federal officials need be created. That is why we have Park Rangers. In Alaska our State Park Rangers will even mark the dead trees they want the public to remove.

Back
Top Bottom